SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 03-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Hanshananigan
Hanshananigan is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Vue 2006 trailer wiring harness - no brake lights?

Hi, we bought our 2006 Vue used with a Class III hitch already installed. It has a (post-factory?) 4-pin wiring harness tucked in the spare tire compartment. I recently built an 8-ft utility trailer kit. The running lights and the turn signal lights work just fine, but hitting the brake does not make the brake lights on the trailer turn on. I have read a few thing on the net regarding this phenomenon, suggesting not enough power, not grounded well, etc. causing this effect, but haven't read such stuff about the Vue, and few ideas about how to deal with it besides running a modulite (powered converter) to the battery. Could someone please point me in the right direction? THANKS!
Hanshananigan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
neilpilot
neilpilot is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Vue 2006 trailer wiring harness - no brake lights?

Tell us more....does your existing wiring include it's own power line, or does it simply tap into the existing lines to the lamps? My recent install (a wiring kit for the 2008 VUE) included a prewired "Circuit Protected ModuLite Converter". I've heard that if a converter is not used, the BNS computer, at least on the 08. See http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135754
neilpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanshananigan View Post
The running lights and the turn signal lights work just fine, but hitting the brake does not make the brake lights on the trailer turn on.
Your trailer has a single bulb on each side ... with two elements. One element is used for park (tail) lamp and the other is shared for turn / brake light.

However, your Vue has two dual element lamps on each side (center mounted brake light and back-up excluded). The upper bulb is shared by park (tail) lamp and brake, and the lower is used for park (tail) and turn signal.

You need to use an adapter to connect the separate vehicle brake and turn signal to the single turn / brake element on the trailer. Adapters are commonly available at auto parts stores and Wal-Mart type stores for less than $20 and come with installation instructions.

I can post wiring schematics if interested.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Hanshananigan

2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks guys!

Grumpy, is this what you're talking about? (from e-trailer):

"Converter - For use with vehicles that have separate turn and brake light wires. Some vehicles send only one signal per wire, creating what is called a 3-wire system: one wire for the left turn, one wire for the right turn, and one wire for the brake signal (common on vehicles with amber turn signals). A converter will reduce it to a standard 2-wire system needed for wiring a trailer. There are still additional wires for the running lights and for the ground. Any vehicle with amber turn signals will need a converter. However, there are some vehicles with all-red tail lights that can also require a converter. A wiring harness with a converter has a black box built in it. Five wires go into the box, and only 4 come out. The converter transfers the brake signal on the vehicle into the left and right turn signals for the trailer wiring system."

I would definitely appreciate it if you would post the schematics!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

The converter should take care of lighting needs.

I've attached brake and turn schematics for my 05 Vue ... I suspect they're representative of most Vue's around that year.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05 Vue Park-Stop.pdf (22.9 KB, 180 views)
File Type: pdf 05 Vue Turn-Park.pdf (30.9 KB, 154 views)
Old 03-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Hanshananigan

2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks Grumpy! I'm going to take a closer look at the current hookups tonight and see if indeed the former owner did a quick splice and not a proper connection.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Just my 2 cents. I wonder if the first owner had a trailer ( possibly homemade) with separate turn and brake lights just like the VUE. So, maybe he/ she didn't need a converter. You'll be surprised what people tow around out here in the Great Northwest
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
Hanshananigan

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
Just my 2 cents. I wonder if the first owner had a trailer ( possibly homemade) with separate turn and brake lights just like the VUE. So, maybe he/ she didn't need a converter. You'll be surprised what people tow around out here in the Great Northwest
Thanks for the input Chillin. I would suspect that there would be a separate cable for brake lights if that were the case. I need to test tonight.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Hanshananigan

2006 VUE 3.5L

Followed the 4-pin harness tonight. Easy enough - it tapped into the wiring for the lights under the left milk jug holder. Real butcher job, too. And sure enough, there was one pristine light blue wire that was untouched, that according to the etrailer website, is the brake light for this vehicle. So all I need to do is undue all the electrical tape someone wrapped around everything and connect a converter (with fuse), and I should be good-to-go! Thanks for the help!

-Hans
Old 07-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
mfuzz8
mfuzz8 is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys;
been following the thread. We have a 2005 Vue 4 cyl. Recently, we had a hitch and wiring harness installed by a friend of a friend. He used a standard wiring harness, NOT the adaptor type. It does work for a few minutes before blowing the brake light fuse. So will the lack of this proper wiring harness cause fuses to blow? I know a trailer short will cause this, but the previous owner of the pop-up assured me it was trouble-free, and honestly, replacing the harness sounds like an easier fix than tracing enclosed wiring in the pop-up.
Thanks for any help!
mfuzz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuzz8 View Post
Hey Guys;
been following the thread. We have a 2005 Vue 4 cyl. Recently, we had a hitch and wiring harness installed by a friend of a friend. He used a standard wiring harness, NOT the adaptor type. It does work for a few minutes before blowing the brake light fuse. So will the lack of this proper wiring harness cause fuses to blow? I know a trailer short will cause this, but the previous owner of the pop-up assured me it was trouble-free, and honestly, replacing the harness sounds like an easier fix than tracing enclosed wiring in the pop-up.
Thanks for any help!
The Vue has independent turn and brake light bulbs. A trailer with four wire connector uses same bulb for brake and turn. The adapter basically applies the Vue's two separate signals to trailer wiring for left and right turn (and brake).

I'd say you need to rework the trailer wiring pendant by adding the adapter ASAP. The Vue wiring could be at risk.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
mfuzz8

Thanks;
rest assured, as soon the fuse went, we unplugged the trailer. Unfortunately, we were already on the road when we realized. Our pop-up sits pretty low, so the tail lights are visible over the trailer. But not comfortable traveling without the signals on the trailer.
Will the whole harness have to be replaced, or can the a converter just be applied to the brake light wire? Any info you can give me on the product would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

They are a plug and play box for about $35 online. Just drop it in and go. No splcing or wire cutting of original factory harness. They are brilliant
Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuzz8 View Post
Thanks;
rest assured, as soon the fuse went, we unplugged the trailer. Unfortunately, we were already on the road when we realized. Our pop-up sits pretty low, so the tail lights are visible over the trailer. But not comfortable traveling without the signals on the trailer.
Will the whole harness have to be replaced, or can the a converter just be applied to the brake light wire? Any info you can give me on the product would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
You should go back to the basic five wires - the wires are generally in the jack compartment ... I'll attach extract with color code.

Walmart sells the adapters - used to be around $12 dollars - to connect the Vue 5-wire scheme to typical small trailer flat-four pin connector.

Trailer Wiring

Additional wire length has been provided for connecting trailer wiring to your vehicle. A loop of five wires is stored below the jack, which is located on the driver's side of the cargo area. The wires are fused in both the underhood and instrument fuse block. See Instrument Panel Fuse Block and Underhood Fuse Block .

The wires do not have a connector and should be wired to the trailer by a qualified electrical technician. The technician can use the following
information when connecting a trailer wiring harness to your vehicle.

Yellow: Left Turn Signal
 Brown: Parking Lamps
 Light Blue: Stop Lamps
 Black: Ground Wire
 Dark Green: Right Turn Signal

When connecting a trailer harness, be sure you leave it loose enough so the wiring does not bend or break, but not so loose that it drags on the
ground. Store harness below jack in the cargo area when it is not in use. Wrap the harness together and tie it neatly so it will not be damaged.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Double GG
Double GG is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Here's what I did:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...21&postcount=5

The wiring under the jack is a loop except for the green wire (right signal). Splices worked the best here even though I wanted to solder them together.
Double GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
mfuzz8

Just want to give a big thanks to Far2grumpy for his great advice. It was a big help! The guy installed a regular harness istead of using one with a taillight converter. He accessed the wiring through the storage well below the jack access hatch. I just removed the standard harness and used the wires he had aready spliced into, and tapped into the ground, which he had missed. Everything is running fine.
Thanks again to everyones help and suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:23 AM   #17
vuetec
vuetec is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Would you please give me the link of the Walmart adapter, or the part number of it, thank you.
vuetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuetec View Post
Would you please give me the link of the Walmart adapter, or the part number of it, thank you.
You can find one version adapter here:

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48915-...opkins+adapter

Most parts houses and Walmart has the Hoppy version (or equivalent) for around $15.