SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2018, 02:34 AM   #1
awfulbeans
awfulbeans is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Differences between levels 2 and 3

I don't expect any one person to know all the differences, but I'm trying to figure out what's different between the level 2 and 3, overall.

I used to own a 2006 level 3 QC. It got totaled by a garbage truck. I replaced it with another 2006 QC, except this one is a well-optioned level 2.

Both cars were optioned with the 2.2 and sunroof (never seen a sunroof on a 2 before this one, but it's definitely factory, and listed on the RPO sticker). Both have keyless entry, power windows, power locks, power mirrors. The 3 had fog lights (believe that was an option on the 3 only), the autodimming/outside temp/compass mirror (2 had a basic onstar-only mirror), and much nicer upholstery. The 3 also had automatic headlights (the biggest thing I miss about the old car). I know the clusters were different in appearance only (silver face vs black face gauges).

I wound up swapping over the front seats from the 3 (the ones that came with the 2 were pretty beat), along with the mirror (plugged right in, and the wiring for the outside temp sensor was already there - just had to plug in the sensor). The 2 seems a lot louder on the road overall - from engine noise to wind noise to tire noise - which makes me suspect it has a lot less sound deadening. The 2 also seems a lot peppier, but the 2 has roughly 1" smaller tires/wheels (stock), which would effectively raise the final drive a little bit. The 2 also had a basic radio + CD player, while the 3 had XM support (though wasn't optioned with it) + FM text display + MP3 disc support + sounded much better overall (even though the speakers were the same).

Does anyone know the differences between the 2 and 3, outside of the 3 always having keyless entry + nicer radio + silver face cluster? This 2 has me scratching my head in a number of ways. I can add a list of the RPO codes if anyone cares. I do know both Carfax and GM show the car was first titled with nearly 2000 miles on it, I'm guessing it may have been a dealer demo (my old 3 was titled with <100 on it).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awfulbeans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awfulbeans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awfulbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Differences between levels 2 and 3

Iím looking at 2007 but should be close. 3 adds air with pollen filter, power windows and mirrors, cruise, height adjustable seat, remote with alarm, auto lights, fogs, 16 inch alloys which are optional on 2. Hope that helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:58 AM   #3
awfulbeans
awfulbeans is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Differences between levels 2 and 3

My 2 is optioned with the keyless entry + alarm (though the alarm does behave differently than it did on the 3 - no warning "chirps" before it goes nuts), power windows, power mirrors, sunroof (!! never seen a 2 with one before), cruise, and cabin filter. I haven't changed the cabin filter yet, but I saw it when I changed the blower motor. Probably should have snagged the filter from the old car before Pick n Pull hauled it off, it seems like the HVAC is kind of struggling to breathe a bit. I need to toss a cabin filter into my next Rockauto order.

This car is an odd duck for a 2. It really has most of the stuff you expect on a 3. It wasn't first titled until it had about 2000 miles, so my best guess is it was ordered by a dealer as a demo. It's also the total opposite of my 3 - my 3 was a fantastic car that needed very little work the whole time I owned it (purchased with 60k, totaled with 202k), while this has needed a ton of work in the ~6 weeks I've owned it. Still trying to fix a windshield leak (already tried taping up the sunroof, still leaked, so it's not the sunroof drains), and it still needs a wheel bearing.

I wanted to figure out a way to swap in the automatic headlights, and possibly fog lights, but I figured the auto lights would require a BCM flash and probably a lot more wiring than I wanted to deal with. I took a quick look behind the bumper and behind the dash panel and didn't see wiring for the fogs or the switch, so I didn't bother trying to swap over the fogs. I drove mostly Hondas before I got my 3; in the 80s and 90s they tended to throw in the same harness regardless of trim, and just leave the unused plugs capped (so a base model Civic still had the plugs for the dash clock, tach, fog lights, etc).

Originally I hated the 15" steelies it has, and wanted to swap over the 16" alloys (even though the wheels themselves were pretty beat up). Then I saw the overall height difference in them when I put them side by side, and realized that's why the 2 feels a bit quicker - the shorter overall diameter basically gives a shorter final drive ratio. Also realized I'd have to get the PCM reprogrammed to keep the speedometer and odometer accurate. Then I looked at the price difference on tires, that definitely finalized the decision to keep the 15s. The original hubcaps are in decent shape too (no cracks, just mild rash on the lips).

Last edited by awfulbeans; 05-25-2018 at 03:13 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awfulbeans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awfulbeans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awfulbeans is offline   Reply With Quote