SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
cuetip
cuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nice

1997 SW1
Default PAG Oil?

I'm going to be rebuilding the AC system on my '97 SW1 soon. The FSM doesn't state which kind of PAG oil to use. I called the dealership and they said they'd use ACDelco 10-5026 (P/N 88901445) for my system. Does anyone know what the non GM alternative is?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cuetip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cuetip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cuetip is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: PAG Oil?

Pag 46, I think...

Pag 46 is thin, Pag 100 medium, Pag 150 thick...

I have put a can of Pag 100 oil charge in my system, no problems....

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Pretty sure PAG 100 is what Saturn used at the factory.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The website below states that the AC-Delco 10-5025 Air Conditioning Compressor Oil is 46 viscosity.

https://jet.com/product/ACDelco-10-5...9f087cea1cc5f6

A couple of other web-pages might also be of interest on this subject.

https://macsworldwide.wordpress.com/...ompressor-oil/

http://www.aa1car.com/library/pagoil.htm

294,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 05-21-2018 at 07:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does this help? https://crxsi.com/info/air-condition...TION-CHART.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Too late to correct my error. The message I typed should have read AC-Delco 10-5026, not -5025. ...oh well...

294,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
cuetip
cuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nice

1997 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
According to this, my compressor (Zexel DKV) takes PAG 100. However, based on the link pierrot supplied, the PAG oil the dealer is recommending is PAG 46. Where is crxsi getting their information from?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cuetip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cuetip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cuetip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My guess is they refer to compressor manufacturer specs. With so many compressors for every vehicle in the world, its difficult to know which ac system uses what refrigerant oil. As you can see, GM uses several different compressors. I always despised how GM insisted on using their (repackaged/relabeled) refrigerant oil without any cross reference to standard oil viscosity. GM doesn't control motor oil labeling and follows everyone in industry to specify which motor oil viscosity is recommended for each model. Not so with refrigerant oil. This may be the same for other car manufacturers but everyone in diy mode seems to know oil viscosity by standardized numbering. GM chooses not to by slapping their own stock numbering without any reference to viscosity. I can appreciate GM wanting to control specific items to thwart third party entities from throwing a monkey wrench to alter oil viscosity outside a narrow range and become a pirate in the industry. Since refrigerant oil comes as 46, 100, 150 and maybe others, we seem to know that but GM refuses to label their 'ACDelco' products to allow informing everyone for a level playing field. The refrigerant industry recognizes viscosity numbers and controls their part. Why GM refuses may be their less than trustful attitude in the refrigeration industry. Anyone notice GM no longer manufactures their brand of ACDeco compressors or maybe they just relabeled compressors under contract from various companies and found it was simply easier to use Sanden/Zexel/whatever and leave it at that. As far as my understanding of ac systems, the compressor sets the oil viscosity requirements so rather than remember which oil is needed for a GM vehicle, I defer to the compressor manufacturer and model for specific viscosity. I may be wrong but I think I can place my faith on sites that do more for everyone and spends the time to gather info for listing publicly. I've used it to find my refrigerant oil when I ran into the same wall as you did. As always, its your choice to follow recommendations as listed or search around. pierrot has managed to find one site with an image but the site added the equivalent viscosity number. Are they correct? Referring to compressor manufacturer's recommendations for refrigerant oil viscosity in my personal opinion is what GM does as I doubt GM would alter oil viscosity and slap a manufacturer in the face against the very people making compressors...........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I forgot to add one more insult here to or intelligence. The site listing the GM stock number for refrigerant oil does not specify which compressor........

Tried comparing the list between aa1car and.com and crxsi.com?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!