SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #41
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Spaceman's BYOB-DOHC Rebuild Partythread

You can use any auto trans that is from a DOHC car, marked MP7, 91-02. The bet bet will be a 98-99 vintage trans with low miles. The 00-02 are OK as well. You should change the axle seals while the trans is no the ground. To ID the trans find the numbers. Info and links below.

How to find them
How to check the trans model number. There is no tag. Look right between the top 2 transmission to engine mounting bolts. Clean the area with a rag and brake cleaner, do not use any abrasive! Take a large tip sharpie pen and rub it in the center of the case between those bolts. You will see some 1/2" high dot matrix letters and numbers. They are quite hard to read. You are interested in the first 4 positions.The 1st position is the year code and may be either a number or letter, the 2nd position is the letter M, the 3rd position is the letter P, and the 4th position is a number - either 2 or 3 for manual or 6 or 7 for automatic. You must have the correct MP number for the application or it will not work in the car. These letters/numbers are centered between those top 2 mounting bolts and they are really are there.

What they look like
Use these for trans.
http://i.imgur.com/dwb6a.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vEmqC.jpg

Year codes
M 1991
N 1992
P 1993
R 1994
S 1995
T 1996
V 1997
W 1998
Y 2000
1 2001
2 2002

There are initial start, oil prime, first oil change info as well you will need. With a new drained trans use Amsoil Torque-Drive for first fill. The Torque-Drive is a lifetime fluid that will only require a periodic filter change.

The flaws of the 96-99 vintage are known and easily corrected. The 00-02 have more electrical-electronic issues that are not user fixable easily if at all. There is noting radically wrong with earlier models other than general age and rust.

Last edited by OldNuc; 04-18-2018 at 04:44 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #42
Space_Suitor
Space_Suitor has a spectacular aura aboutSpace_Suitor has a spectacular aura aboutSpace_Suitor has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2
Thumbs Up Re: Spaceman's BYOB-DOHC Rebuild Partythread

That's some fancy shootin' you got there, Mister.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Space_Suitor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Space_Suitor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Space_Suitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #43
Space_Suitor
Space_Suitor has a spectacular aura aboutSpace_Suitor has a spectacular aura aboutSpace_Suitor has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2

I I have located a transmission via FB marketplace, which I intend to pony up some cash for, tonight.

The owner says it came from family car that his teens drove and then totaled, 2002 Sc2 with 147k. Posted for $300 but he says he'll let it go for $100.

Not sure if I have asked this before, but I happened to score a completely rebuilt, clean CYLINDER HEAD which fits the S-series, but sadly it is only a SINGLE cam, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I wonder if any shops would have an interest in trading me for one that fits?...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Space_Suitor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #44
Space_Suitor

1998 SW2

Alrig grrr t, so I bought the trans for $100.

Then yesterday I rented a cherry picker and finally yanked the old motor+tranny out, no help.

I have a shopping cart started on RockAuto.com with some of the final parts I will need.., just asking for a little help before I cash out.

Main line of inquiry has to do with axle seals. I'll get one for Left and for Right, and I am also asking for the seal at torque converter. But I can't seem to tell what I need to use at the carrier bearing. Do I simply need 2 right-hand side seals?

4613N (left) ,
4614N (right),
4615V (torque)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180511_182811_339.jpg (133.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Space_Suitor; 05-12-2018 at 09:42 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #45
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Are you asking about the intermediate shaft?

Intermediate shaft left hand side has a slinger ring and no seal. There is a specific OEM seal or National 4614N available for the right hand intermediate shaft seal if required. There is an OEM kit that might still be available but it is just the 4614N seal and CV grease.

The bearing is an NSK 6206DP8. This is a generic 6206 bearing that is double sealed and lubed for life. Placing some CV joint grease into the right hand side of the intermediate shaft area before inserting the CV joint Will provide some lubrication to this bearing long term.

It is all pressed together so when assembling do not transfer installing force across the bearing balls.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...39#post1945839

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2018, 02:32 AM   #46
Space_Suitor

1998 SW2

Thanks for that confirmation.

I spent today swapping out most of the accessories to the final build, cleaning stuff up as best as I could along the way.

Once I got the head off I could see there's an exhaust valve with a chip taken out of it. THIS WOULD EXPLAIN SOME THINGS.

Got the camshafts out and had a look at the lifters. In total, I have 6 of them whose movement leaves something to be desired. QUESTION: Is there any chance that a nice soak in Berryman's would bring one of those things back to life? Or shall I not even bother? I know they are only about 6 bucks a pop but I am anxious to save a few bucks for all that I've wasted so far.

I have not yet un-seated any of the valves for closer inspection but I suppose getting that apart will be the midway point of the project.

A COMPARATIVE SIDE -NOTE; Don't bother wasting your money on "Mean Green" cleaner, didn't do squat. However, I did have good luck cutting the oily mess with LA'S AWESOME CLEANER, yellow stuff for a buck! Tomorrow I will get some vinegar, hoping to soak the rust off that exhaust manifold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #47
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The 98 and older lifters canbe disassembled and cleaned. One way to do it: http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...es/lifter.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #48
Space_Suitor

1998 SW2
Red Face Re: Spaceman's BYOB-DOHC Rebuild Partythread

That is great to know!

I am hesitant to go through allllll that. I can't imagine getting all those apart without scratching the hell out most of them.

Speaking of destroying stuff, I sure am having a dilly of a time getting loose one of those bolts at the bellhosing where the accessories get grounded. Rounded off, of course. WD-40 and a torch haven't helped. Even whacked it with a chisel but it just won't spin. No good, since I need to salvage the flywheel. Probably going to just have to whack the nut off, eh?

Giggity-gig.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2018, 02:18 AM   #49
Space_Suitor

1998 SW2

I have been working on my project every day and I am making progress in great strides. What with a successful valve job, and a near-complete assembly of the head which will allow me to put the last few components on the block; namely set timing, oil pan gasket, drop her in and FFFFF!RRRRE UUUUUUUP!

Ended up locally-sourcing some 6 more exhaust valves, because none of them really cleaned up well and I had only ordered 2 new ones. They ended up matching my new ones better as they were flat-head instead of dish-type. (Not sure what practical difference is made.)

I managed to get the valve springs apart by whacking them with a deadblow and deep socket. In the end, they went back together the same way, but using a slightly smaller (maybe 17 & 15mm's?) socket while placing a 2/3 layer piece of duct tape between socket and spring ass'y and a dab o' grease inside the keeper-s hole. (Changing the tape often, and making sure to re-position a rag underhead as I moved to each combustion chamber.

[[This , after much futzing, putzing, whining and crying, phone calls, Googling, and also a free-rental of an $86-deposit C-clamp tool that JUUUUUST couldn't hook it.]]

So yes Futurebuilders: CHEAPEST way to re-install valve keepers on DOHC recessed bore is the folded plastic + socket trick. SMACK IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT!

IN OTHER NEWS, Once I got the bellhousing cracked apart, I found that the flywheel teeth are all burred up and I reckon I will have to go around and hit them with the Dremel. Still, I suppose that is a more likely method than yanking another one at the junkyard.

Soon, I will strip my old motorblock and trans, clean them up at the carwash and make my fortune back selling them for scrap.

Last edited by Space_Suitor; 05-22-2018 at 02:26 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!