SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #21
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: HELP!!! L200 is out of whack.

Turn ignition switch to ACC(essory) position (only) and move the shift lever to Neutral. No battery power is needed to do this.

Most tow trucks can grab front or rear wheels and drag a vehicle with brakes locked and xmission in Park. Smart tow truck drivers know how to release xmissions from Park position and supply battery boosting when needed. Battery boosting can be either an extension cord plugged into their power system or portable battery booster. This may help in your situation as long as you mention your predicament in your initial call for towing. If the tow truck cannot get into the garage (low ceiling?), pushing the car around may help bring the car close to the tow truck. Be aware that without a running engine, power steering is lost and the car must move to overcome steering effort to turn left or right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #22
L200fan
L200fan is a jewel in the roughL200fan is a jewel in the roughL200fan is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Turn ignition switch to ACC(essory) position (only) and move the shift lever to Neutral. No battery power is needed to do this.

Most tow trucks can grab front or rear wheels and drag a vehicle with brakes locked and xmission in Park. Smart tow truck drivers know how to release xmissions from Park position and supply battery boosting when needed. Battery boosting can be either an extension cord plugged into their power system or portable battery booster. This may help in your situation as long as you mention your predicament in your initial call for towing. If the tow truck cannot get into the garage (low ceiling?), pushing the car around may help bring the car close to the tow truck. Be aware that without a running engine, power steering is lost and the car must move to overcome steering effort to turn left or right.
When I put the ignition key into the ACC position, the transmission stick wasn't moving. I might not have had the ACC exactly right (I remember I had to play around with it for a while before I got it to move the first time).

I"ll have to try it again. Either I didn't eat my Wheaties that day or I wasn't trying hard enough.

BTW, the garage is a one bay thing attached to other one bay garages where I am. We have our own doors to open up the car.

I will explain the situation to AAA if I have to get them to come to my location to get the car out.

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200fan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200fan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #23
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok, a one bay garage, got it. Push the car out or if there's room for the tow truck to maneuver in a tight space, can grab front or rear wheels.

I have on occasion turned my ignition switch to ACC and simply shifted out of Park to neutral to move my car a little while in my garage. No engine, no brake application needed to shift out of Park position. In theory, ACC(essory) only supplies power to windshield wipers, washer motor, radio and blower (don't think ac can be engaged). This is the easiest way to shift without the engine running. Once the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN position, power goes everywhere, including the Brake Transmission Shift Interlock mechanism to lock the shifter from movement until the brake pedal is applied.

The whole idea of locking the shifter unless the brake pedal is applied goes way back to when someone or enough people decided to have their engine running without applying brakes while shifting into any gear resulting in lurching forward or reverse and either hitting something or someone nearby. Car manufacturers decided to prevent anyone from shifting into gear if the engine's running. S-A-F-E-T-Y

Without a battery, turning the ignition switch to ACC should allow moving the shifter out of Park position. No hard pulling, tugging. If your shifter has a left side thumb button, press it before trying to move the shift lever. If you talk to AAA, their tow drivers should have portable power packs for jump starting and can help power your car if necessary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #24
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
...I have on occasion turned my ignition switch to ACC and simply shifted out of Park to neutral to move my car a little while in my garage. No engine, no brake application needed to shift out of Park position...
Well, by cracky, that actually works! Who'duh thunk it?? To the best of my knowledge I've never tried that until tonight...what a surprise!
fdryer
you have done it again. The next time I see Stephanie (what a beautiful woman ) I'll have to let her know that you're far more useful than that MacGyver guy any day of the week!!!

287,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 05-20-2018 at 10:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #25
L200fan
L200fan is a jewel in the roughL200fan is a jewel in the roughL200fan is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Well, by cracky, that actually works! Who'duh thunk it?? To the best of my knowledge I've never tried that until tonight...what a surprise!
fdryer
you have done it again. The next time I see Stephanie (what a beautiful woman ) I'll have to let her know that you're far more useful than that MacGyver guy any day of the week!!!
You are all the best! believe me!

I wanted to add that I got pictures of what I was asking about with the shift thing. I figured I post it in case someone like me asked for it in the future
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shift.jpg (174.5 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help L200fan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #26
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
^^ Just put this to the test. It appears that at least on the 2004 models, there must be some power for this work. With the battery connected, turning the ignition switch to ACC does indeed allow the shifter to be moved.

However, once the negative battery cable was disconnected, the shifter will NOT MOVE even in the ACC position. Tried this several times connect/disconnect to confirm.

In light of this, it is safe to say that L200 has a completely dead battery. It may not take a fully charged battery, but does require some juice for this work.

The manual release of the shifter as discussed earlier would probably be the best option if towing is needed.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #27
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

What you described above, rb6667, is also true for my car. The shifter cannot be moved with the battery disconnected.

287,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #28
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I went for an errand and when I came back to my car, parked on level parking spot, I turned my ignition switch to the ACC(essory position but could not move the shift lever out of Park position. However, once I pressed the large chrome thumb button on the left side of the shift lever, I was able to move it out of Park position. I did not disconnect my battery to test whether or not I can move out from Park position. I did press the chrome button several times and can hear a solenoid clicking each time I pressed on the side button. My guess is, according to two members here attempting to move their shift lever from Park position with either a dead battery or battery disconnect means power isn't provided to the BTSI circuitry to ensure the shift lever cannot move in ACC position unless battery power is available. I will not disconnect my battery as I will lose radio presets and am loathe to retune it when battery power is reconnected. I must admit I did not try this on my car without disconnecting battery power and now see the reason for access to the shift lever as last resort to manually release the locking tab when battery power isn't available.

My thoughts with this thread is that any residual battery power is all that's needed to allow the bcm (controlling the BTSI circuit) to allow shifting out of Park position. What I mean by residual power is when starting cannot occur but instrument lights are still operable and maybe radio, enough juice to power the bcm to enable the park lock solenoid with all electronics and electrical circuits turned off. My thoughts are this park lock solenoid needs less than one amp of current, possibly a 9-volt battery to power it. What leads me to believe (incorrectly) that no battery is needed to shift out of Park position is the basis of some logic (flawed as any human capable of flaws) on my part in thinking a dead battery shouldn't interfere with moving the shift lever as in a scenario with a dead battery (that isn't truly dead in most circumstances) like dead of winter or hot summer when a battery won't turn over the engine yet still have power to runs lights and radio. A truly dead battery may be the one scenario where manually flipping the shift lock solenoid is necessary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #29
L200fan

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Hi Everyone!
I just wanted to give an update and ask a question.

Because of my illness for the past month, I have not used my car and have relied on pubic transportation to get from one place to another.

I am on the road to recovery! However, my car is still in the garage. I am hoping to start working on getting the car fixed within this week.

I wanted to ask you all. Since the car is technically dead in the water and has not started since May 19. I was wondering if I am doing any further harm to it by not having a working battery installed.

More to follow. This thread is not finished yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #30
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A dead battery simply means as the battery discharged from non use when a vehicle isn't used for several weeks at a time, losing power allows electronics relying on trickle power to keep memory alive simply loses stored memory. This doesn't mean much as the next engine startup and driving allows the EFI system to learn emissions parameters to store into memory. All other electronic functions don't care - removing or losing power just means electronics shut down without issues. Similar to pulling batteries on a wall clock, portable radio still playing music, dropping a cellphone while on a call as the battery pops out to disconnect the call. No harm. Putting new batteries in restores power. Virtually all electronics with a cpu automatically reset when power is applied - starting up with a program described as the power on self test, POST, where it self tests itself before turning on to resume where it left off or start at the beginning of a program.

The car can wait with a dead battery. It's not the end of the world if a vehicle doesn't have a live battery. Electronics are dormant until a new battery wakes them up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #31
L200fan

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

hello everyone!
I'm back to conclude what happened to my L200 car.

First, I bought off Amazon a portable battery starter with hopes that I would be able to start the car and bring it over to the auto mechanic without having the call the AAA.
Well, on Friday, I finally was able to get myself to journey over to the garage to tackle the problem with my car. I brought the jump starter with me.
I tried several times to start the car with it. Unfortunately, after cranking the car and turning it over, it petered out and stopped running.
After trying several times with the jump starter, I decided that it was time to call the AAA. Lucky for me, the AAA truck came within an hour. Once the truck got there, I opened up the garage door, went into the car and manually opened the shift level indicator assembly and disengaged it. I pressed the white button and rolled the car out of the garage.
We got the car to the station. The mechanic brought over a portable jump starter and was able to start the car with HIS jump starter. The car started and stayed on. The mechanic then used a snap tool voltage meter to check the battery. After running the engine and the volt meter, he told me that the battery was completely dead. He also told me that I was going to need a new alternator.
The bill came out to 753.00. The battery came out to $169.95. The alternator was $260.00 (rebuilt) and the labor was 2 1/2 hours 262.50 plus tax 61.49

My question is, Was the labor justified for doing this work? I would appreciate your input on that.

Anyway, the car is up and running. Thanks for your help once again! Until the next time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #32
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Thanks for the follow-up. So often we (forum members) never hear back on the final outcome. The follow-up helps others with similar problems.

In answer to your question. The Bill. Ouch! Yes, that is a hefty final bill but not out of reason. The alternator for the 2.2 is very pricey. Even the rebuilt ones. Batteries are expensive now but quality batteries can be bought for less. $105.00 per hour labor is in the ballpark as well.

Going back to the alternator. On the 2.2 the upper radiator hose has to be removed to replace the alternator. As such, I would have expected to see charges for Dexcool on your bill. Possibly, the tech just rolled that into the final billing.

All in all you came out OK. Was the towing bill included in the final bill or was that extra?

The end result is you have your car back now. Enjoy!

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #33
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

What is the warranty on the alternator? Sometimes it pays to either shop around or ask on this forum for prices on parts. Here is a rebuilt Alt with 1 year warranty and free shipping for $105 us dollars. https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...-02-03-04.html
IMO the labor is to high but I do most of my own work plus have a buddy with a garage so my labor cost are low.
Glad you got it fixed though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #34
L200fan

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you for the quick replies!

Yep, having a car fixed by a garage is not cheap. However, the garage stands by its work.

I have AAA so I pay for towing yearly.

I know that I could have gotten the parts much cheaper on my own but that is the way its done in NYC.

It's like you don't bring the food to the restaurant and ask them to cook it LOL.

I didn't pay for Dexcool on the bill (at least it wasn't on the bill)

Glad to have my car back. Not happy about parking it in the city again LOL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #35
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

The is history, therefore it is what it is. You can whinge about a quote and get it amended or choose to reject it, but the bill is the bill if you have given the go ahead for the work to be done and are presented with the total costs at checkout.

Here's my 5 cents. A couple of months ago I had to replace the battery on my son's 2003 L300. I bought the Maxx 785 from Walmart. I have their Maxx batteries on several vehicles and have found them to be well made, and long lasting. This Maxx 785 battery is coincidentally the same exact same battery that is recommended for and fitted to my own Suburban. Si if it can handle the Sub, the L300 is a breeze. This battery comes with a 5 year warranty. 3 years on straight replacement and 2 years pro rata. Cost was $93.76 + tax, so for me came out to $104.00. Not complaining one bit for the Satty battery. But you paid $170.00 for your battery, so I hope it's a good one with a bulletproof warranty.

On the alternator replacement, you pays your money and takes your choice. Back in 2012, the alternator on my Suburban decided to die and in doing so took the battery with it. A double whammy weekend. Because it was weekend I took it to the main GM Dealer in town. The bill for the alternator and labor came to $719.00 ($462.00 for the alternator and $200.00 for labor). BUT.. GM and the Dealer gave me lifetime warranty on both the alternator AND the labor. So if it goes out again (it's been in 6 years) it will cost me zero to replace again. By contrast, my indi garage who wasn't open said his bill would have been around $500.00. So I would have saved $200.00 but not had product or warranty beyond 12 months. You paid $260 for a rebuilt alternator. Rock Auto show alternators for your ranging from $117.00 to the most expensive at $252.00. So you definitely paid at the upper end.

When our cars break down, we are men without legs and go into panic mode as we lose our means of transport and hence want a fast solution. But by shopping around you can make savings.

It sounds like your mechanic does a reasonable job but likes to up-charge a lot on items. Most do, but there is making a little extra and scalping. Avoid the latter. All you can do is remember that fact if you use him again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote