SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
Jeeprz!
Jeeprz! is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default 98 SC2 DOHC exhaust system replacement

I'm trying to figure out the best route to take to replace my complete exhaust system, I've done a lot of searches and reading but I'm still not 100% clear on some aspects.

First let me state my goals;
This is a daily driver.
I don't have to do emissions test.
I am replacing the entire system, from manifold gasket to exhaust tip.
I want to go stainless in hopes that it will be the last time I have to replace it.
I would like to get more MPG and HP if possible.
I DON'T want it to sound like a "ricer".
I DON'T want it to be throwing codes, leaking or be a PITA after it's done.

From all the threads I've read OBX seems to be the road to take, so I am thinking of the following;

New OBX-R Stainless Steel Exhaust Header Manifold = approx $210 delivered (eBay).
- I thought I read that it will give increased MPG and HP but don't recall the numbers.

Remflex PN 2039 exhaust manifold gasket = $28.00 PLUS $14.00 for ground shipping from their website wtf???

- OldNuc said in a thread Remflex is the solution to a life of gasket failures, I found the same PN on Amazon, sold by Remflex, for $24.50 free shipping but it says it's for a Chevy L4 Engine with oval ports?

Remflex PN 8053 OBX Exhaust Header Connector Gasket (Set of 2) = $18.00 delivered (Amazon)
This is for the header 4 to flex pipe 2 connection.

I'm aware of the need to brace the flex pipe to the motor, I was lucky enough to be able to salvage the factory "J" bracket that bolts to the motor/trans and plan on coating it with POR-15 before the install, then using a ss clamp from the bracket to the flex pipe.

OBX High flow Catalytic Converter Ceramic Universal 2.5" 2.5 Inch Inlet & Outlet
= $115 delivered (eBay).

This has me confused.
- Here is the link and some highlights of the listing;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Catalyti...item19f1f238d3
First I realize that it is 2 1/2 and if I recall the OBX header/cat back are 2 1/4, so I might check to see if this is available in 2 1/4 in/out or possibly use ss reducing clamps or ss adapters?
- they list it as a "Catalytic Converter Ceramic Universal" but then the listing states;
"-This part will delete your factory catalytic converter to provide improved exhaust flow.
- High flow resonators to keep cabin noise at a minimum.
-Straight Through Resonator with a Real OEM Catalytic Converter look
- Including Gasket & Hardware for installation
- DIrect Bolt-On without Modification
- Utilizes Factory O2 Sensor Position
- Compatible with All Stock Aftermarket Exhaust Systems & Headers
- Dyno results have shown about 10-15hp gains with this part on a stock engine with no other modifications.
- On a supercharged or highly modified all motor setup gains should be much greater.
- Like all OBX exhaust components, this too is backed by their lifetime warranty program against manufacturing defects.

Interesting that it's a "direct bolt-on" and they include "gaskets and hardware" - for strait pipe ends wtf lol?
There were several listings for these so I don't think it's just a one off eBay scammer.

So with my goals in mind does this "resonator" seem like a good idea?
because it is an actual OBX part with O2 bung, I wouldn't think I would need any anti foul plug/O2 trickery adapter solutions for a cat delete that I read about using strait pipe?

The Magnaflow ss converter is about $180 last time I looked which is one reason I am considering this.

OBX SS Cat Back Exhaust = $???
- I was looking at these a while back and I thought they went for around $250, but just checked eBay and the current ones are like $330 delivered.

Also I will need the Remflex gaskets for it if they make them, and SS bolts, nuts, and lock washers.

I'm not buying and installing this tomorrow (I have to finish the engine cradle/suspension first) so I realize the prices are subject to change, but it comes out to around $700. Just in case I will plan on an extra $100 for additional parts/ labor if I can find a GOOD local shop to weld it up, or if I go with high quality clamps and bolt it up myself.

The "cheap" alternative I was contemplating is the OBX SS header/flex with Remflex gaskets and Walker cat and catback knowing I will have to replace it in a couple years.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this setup?

"Officer, turning on your lights and siren just because you lost the drag race is just poor sportsmanship."

"Turtle" the Green 1998 SC2 Auto DOHC 160k that doesn't burn any oil!

Last edited by Jeeprz!; 08-18-2014 at 02:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeeprz!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeeprz! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeeprz! is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: 98 SC2 DOHC exhaust system replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprz! View Post
I'm trying to figure out the best route to take to replace my complete exhaust system, I've done a lot of searches and reading but I'm still not 100% clear on some aspects.

First let me state my goals;
This is a daily driver.
I don't have to do emissions test.
I am replacing the entire system, from manifold gasket to exhaust tip.
I want to go stainless in hopes that it will be the last time I have to replace it.
I would like to get more MPG and HP if possible.
I DON'T want it to sound like a "ricer".
I DON'T want it to be throwing codes, leaking or be a PITA after it's done.

From all the threads I've read OBX seems to be the road to take, so I am thinking of the following;

New OBX-R Stainless Steel Exhaust Header Manifold = approx $210 delivered (eBay).
- I thought I read that it will give increased MPG and HP but don't recall the numbers.

Remflex PN 2039 exhaust manifold gasket = $28.00 PLUS $14.00 for ground shipping from their website wtf???

- OldNuc said in a thread Remflex is the solution to a life of gasket failures, I found the same PN on Amazon, sold by Remflex, for $24.50 free shipping but it says it's for a Chevy L4 Engine with oval ports?

Remflex PN 8053 OBX Exhaust Header Connector Gasket (Set of 2) = $18.00 delivered (Amazon)
This is for the header 4 to flex pipe 2 connection.

I'm aware of the need to brace the flex pipe to the motor, I was lucky enough to be able to salvage the factory "J" bracket that bolts to the motor/trans and plan on coating it with POR-15 before the install, then using a ss clamp from the bracket to the flex pipe.

OBX High flow Catalytic Converter Ceramic Universal 2.5" 2.5 Inch Inlet & Outlet
= $115 delivered (eBay).

This has me confused.
- Here is the link and some highlights of the listing;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Catalyti...item19f1f238d3
First I realize that it is 2 1/2 and if I recall the OBX header/cat back are 2 1/4, so I might check to see if this is available in 2 1/4 in/out or possibly use ss reducing clamps or ss adapters?
- they list it as a "Catalytic Converter Ceramic Universal" but then the listing states;
"-This part will delete your factory catalytic converter to provide improved exhaust flow.
- High flow resonators to keep cabin noise at a minimum.
-Straight Through Resonator with a Real OEM Catalytic Converter look
- Including Gasket & Hardware for installation
- DIrect Bolt-On without Modification
- Utilizes Factory O2 Sensor Position
- Compatible with All Stock Aftermarket Exhaust Systems & Headers
- Dyno results have shown about 10-15hp gains with this part on a stock engine with no other modifications.
- On a supercharged or highly modified all motor setup gains should be much greater.
- Like all OBX exhaust components, this too is backed by their lifetime warranty program against manufacturing defects.

Interesting that it's a "direct bolt-on" and they include "gaskets and hardware" - for strait pipe ends wtf lol?
There were several listings for these so I don't think it's just a one off eBay scammer.

So with my goals in mind does this "resonator" seem like a good idea?
because it is an actual OBX part with O2 bung, I wouldn't think I would need any anti foul plug/O2 trickery adapter solutions for a cat delete that I read about using strait pipe?

The Magnaflow ss converter is about $180 last time I looked which is one reason I am considering this.

OBX SS Cat Back Exhaust = $???
- I was looking at these a while back and I thought they went for around $250, but just checked eBay and the current ones are like $330 delivered.

Also I will need the Remflex gaskets for it if they make them, and SS bolts, nuts, and lock washers.

I'm not buying and installing this tomorrow (I have to finish the engine cradle/suspension first) so I realize the prices are subject to change, but it comes out to around $700. Just in case I will plan on an extra $100 for additional parts/ labor if I can find a GOOD local shop to weld it up, or if I go with high quality clamps and bolt it up myself.

The "cheap" alternative I was contemplating is the OBX SS header/flex with Remflex gaskets and Walker cat and catback knowing I will have to replace it in a couple years.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this setup?
1) 2 1/2" is to big for these cars, unless you have a lot of engine mods. 2" max for stock and 2 1/4" for slightly modded.
2) 10-15hp gain with these cars are NOT possible unless are highly modding the engine. MAYBE 2hp max
3) For that kind of money you can go this route for the cat back http://thermalrd.com/category-single?pid=66 for sound and install http://www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog/?p=1198

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
Jeeprz!
Jeeprz! is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

I can't seem to find a Thermal R & D for a 1998 SC2, and their cat back alone is like $500, the one I mentioned was around $800 for the complete exhaust system - minus the O2 sensors, which I meant to ask if there is a preferred brand O2 sensor as well but forgot too.

I went to the OBX website and tried looking up the "OBX Catalytic Converter Ceramic Universal" that I found on eBay, their site has no mention of it and a search by the part number on their site turns up nothing. It said it was a Universal so I find it odd they would discontinue it just because Saturn's are.

"Officer, turning on your lights and siren just because you lost the drag race is just poor sportsmanship."

"Turtle" the Green 1998 SC2 Auto DOHC 160k that doesn't burn any oil!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeeprz!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeeprz! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeeprz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprz! View Post
I can't seem to find a Thermal R & D for a 1998 SC2
http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/thermal/classic.html
http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/TMA-B801-C801

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote