SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Scorpiochick
Scorpiochick is on a distinguished road

Default belt tentioner. Desprite help!

I have a 2007 Saturn Vue Greenline. I have been eating belts every 2 to 3 months. I even bought a new tensioner and now that has gone. What is happening is it disintegrates the center plastic guide. I need to do a temp fix. If don't will lose my job. I want to bypass the spring or auto-stop so I can get on the road and work even for a few weeks. I did do this by putting the car in neutral on every stop when I knew the belt was going. Then the auto-stop would not engage. Any thoughts on this? Can I just remove the spring until I can come up with a permanent fix? Want to stop auto-stop from engaging.

Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scorpiochick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scorpiochick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scorpiochick is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: belt tentioner. Desprite help!

Review all threads in the Vue hybrid forums so you have some background on repairs. If I'm not mistaken, Vues use one drive belt so lowering belt tension or removing the belt disables the starter/generator from operating. Your hybrid uses one motor as starter and generator.

The combination starter motor and generator in one unit serves two purposes, starting the engine by drawing on the battery then electronically switching to generator once the engine runs to supply all the electricity a vehicle need while recharging the battery. I hybrid operation, when stopped, the engine stops then restarts when the brake is released or gas pedal is pressed. The starter draws power from the car battery to restart the engine then switches over to generator to recharge the car and hybrid battery. Reducing belt tension or removing the belt will not keep the correct tension needed for starting and belt slippage won't allow the two batteries to recharge completely.

Either determine why this drive belt is wearing out plastic pulleys or visit GM to make timely repairs so it won't interrupt your work schedule. The tight belt tension is to allow the motor to transmit torque for starting the engine since a separate conventional starter doesn't exist in Vue hybrids.

One idea may help if its successful - disabling the hybrid battery or circuitry (pulling fuse or fuses) to prevent the auto engine stop/start feature. If you have the owner's manual, see if there's language about losing auto stop/start if the hybrid battery or circuitry fails. Using logic, the hybrid system supplements engine power thru the electric motor. If the hybrid battery or circuit fails then the auto stop/start feature is automatically disabled so the Vue drives without the hybrid circuit.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote