SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 03-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter has a spectacular aura aboutThe Mad Hatter has a spectacular aura aboutThe Mad Hatter has a spectacular aura about

1997 SW1
2007 AURA XR
Default Aura XR manual transmission swap?

Hello all! Been a long time since i've needed to post on here, my old SW has just kept right on chugging along without issue, besides burning oil. BUT, i purchased a very nice Aura XR at copart for very cheap. It has the 3.6L. I've been searching not only here but several other forums about how to change it over to a manual transmission, for no other reason than i prefer to have one. Here's what i've put together so far, please feel free to fill in any information that may help, i don't have everything put together just yet.

-Transmission would be an F40 from a Pontiac G6 GXP/GT. (Just so happens a GXP just showed up at my local pick n pull with a 6 speed manual!) This insures it mounts to the subframe since the G6 and Aura are both Epsilon cars.

-Bellhousing would have to be swapped for one from a Saab 9-3 Aero with the 2.8 turbo engine, as that engine is a High Feature V6 like the 3.6L in the Aura. If i read correctly the bellhousings are bolt on on the F40.

-Other ancillary related mechanical parts (Driveshafts, shifter, linkages, etc) can come from a G6.

-Electronics: ???? I have very little clue. My guess is have someone remove the automatic from the ECM. The TCM gets removed with the transmission since the manual doesn't need it. I don't know if the BCM needs anything there? Any thoughts on this part is greatly appreciated.

That should be it right? It seems the by far hardest part is the electronics. Let me know what you guys think. I know this isn't a practical exercise, but i got the car cheap, and i can get all the mechanical parts cheap, so that just leaves the electrical part. Thanks for any thoughts or help on the topic!
The Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Aura XR manual transmission swap?

You're going where no one here has gone to. Good luck. Luck aside, it might be wise to subscribe to either alldata.diy or Mitchell for online service manuals instead of second guessing who's giving valid info or not. You'll get more info on how the ecm, bcm, tcm operates than anyone here other than former Saturn techs (If they're still around here).
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote