SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #21
wscreate
wscreate is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 94 SC2 - Intermittent stalling-- Runs rough - Tach drops to zero - Dies

I wanted to return to this thread and give a final update. It has been 4 days since I replaced the ignition control module and I've driven about 300 miles in that time. The stalling problem has not returned even once. Replacing the ignition control problem solved my stalling problem.

A big thanks to all who chimed in to help, fdryer, mattelderca, Wolfman, OldNuc... you guys are awesome. I really appreciate it.
wscreate is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #22
StarLady
Advanced Member
StarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really nice

1992 SC
Default Re: 94 SC2 - Intermittent stalling-- Runs rough - Tach drops to zero - Dies

Interesting. A couple of years ago, I had the exact same symptoms that you described in your original post, but in my case the stalling, dropping RPMs and dying stopped happening by disconnected the EGR's vacuum line. That worked for me, and the problem hasn't returned ever since.

Whatever works, I guess.
1992 SC - TwinCam (Automagic)
Bought it brand new, and still loving it today.
StarLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #23
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There are several things that produce general symptoms like that but if you note what happens first you can sort it out quickly. A stuck open EGR kills the engine but does not kill the spark so the tach goes to zero when the engine quits turning and when the ICM quits the tach goes to zero before the engine quits turning.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #24
Lord Kelvin
Lord Kelvin is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
I'm having the exact same problem as in this post (tack goes to zero, stalling) with my 95-SL2. It has 230Kmiles. I replaced everything suggested and then some without success. Items replaced include:
-CPS
-ICM (AZ part)
-both coils
-plugs/wires

The problem just went from bad (intermittent, but driveable) to worse (rarely even starts). When it doesn't start, the tack doesn't move when cranking.

I suspect I probably have a bad connection or ground somewhere. Someone mentioned two grounds, and that both are important for Gen1's. Can someone please elaborate on these grounds, where they are, and how to check them.

BTW, the car logged a code-48. (missing reference pulses)

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Lord Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #25
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

First thing I would suggest is a quick trip to your favorite J/Y and obtain an OEM ICM. The 95 vintage is a good one. Next clean out the 2 sockets with CRC Electrical Connection Cleaner. Also clean out the 2 plugs. Do not grease them either. Now clean the underside of the mounting bolt heads and the brass pads that they make contact with on the coils/ICM. Your problem could also be a poor connection at the CKP or the CKP itself. CKP is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. And if you have not changed the ECTS the car will be hard to start and run poorly.

Platinum plugs will cause serious missing also.

When it does not start verify you have spark on both coils by pulling the wires and checking for arc across towers.

What is the condition of your battery?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #26
wscreate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kelvin View Post
I suspect I probably have a bad connection or ground somewhere. Someone mentioned two grounds, and that both are important for Gen1's. Can someone please elaborate on these grounds, where they are, and how to check them.!
I just learned about this. http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...n_control.html

Module Grounding

The EI module is grounded through Pin E of the 5 pin connector. The laminated coils have an additional, redundant ground which is provided through the bolt heads to the transaxle bell housing. The plate on the bottom of the module is used primarily for a heat sink and has no effect on module operation.

As OldNuc mentioned, clean the back of the 4 bolt heads that hold the coils down and also, the contacts where the bold heads touch when screwed down. As OldNuc mentioned, do NOT use any type of dilectric grease on the two connectors that plug into the ICM as this can cause problems.

Last edited by wscreate; 07-24-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #27
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The gen 1 ICM is very sensitive to the battery voltage also. Low voltage and it quits long before you really notice the low voltage so check the battery and alternator while you are at it.

Also old and/or platinum plugs will cause these kinds of problems.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 PM   #28
d16tr
d16tr is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Hi wscreate,

You may remember my posting, I had the same problem as yours and replaced the CPS. Well today, after almost 10 days and may be 200 miles mine has acted too. I just left the grocery heading my way home and after a minute the engine dies. I will be doing exactly what you did: will pull an old set of ICM with the coils and see how it goes.

I will come back with an update later.
Audere est facere.
d16tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #29
wscreate

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16tr View Post
Hi wscreate,

You may remember my posting, I had the same problem as yours and replaced the CPS. Well today, after almost 10 days and may be 200 miles mine has acted too. I just left the grocery heading my way home and after a minute the engine dies. I will be doing exactly what you did: will pull an old set of ICM with the coils and see how it goes.

I will come back with an update later.
Let me know how it plays out. My problem is now 30 days and about 1000 miles and still working fine after replacing the ignition control module.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #30
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

i'm having almost the same problems with my '91 SL2 that the OP was having.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162507

I've finally got some time to do some more troubleshooting. I've got also got a stock 1995 SC2 that runs great so, I'm just going to start swapping parts until I find something that works.

will also run a fuel pressure test on the '91. But I'll finish updating in this thread.
1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote