saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
jmerk
jmerk is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1995 SL1
Default Tranny/Engine swap

Wondering if a 99sl2 dohc automatic transmission will work in a 95sl1 sohc? Also how hard of a swap is it to put a 98 sl2 dohc engine and manual trans into a 99sl2 with auto trans?
jmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Tranny/Engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerk View Post
Wondering if a 99sl2 dohc automatic transmission will work in a 95sl1 sohc?
No, the DOHC auto PCM can only operate a DOHC auto trans (with the correct gear ratios for the year).

Quote:
Also how hard of a swap is it to put a 98 sl2 dohc engine and manual trans into a 99sl2 with auto trans?
Pretty straightforward.
- The engine/trans will mount right up. Both use the same style fuel, throttle, and overall PCM setup.
- The '99 has a different head design, but it has no effect on connections or operation. It does have an effect on the exhaust manifold, so you will need the '98's exhaust manifold and downpipe. This might mean having an exhaust shop weld up the connection to the rest of the exhaust.
- The auto & manual have different wiring harnesses. You can pretty easily swap the harness if you have the '98's available while you're at it, but it's also quite easy to make the auto harness work with the manual trans. Search for manual swap info for this.
- The drivetrain will run on the auto PCM, but throw codes. I've gone years with an auto PCM on my manual swapped '99 SC2 (which has an earlier style engine in it, like you're looking at doing), and it runs great. If you have inspections, or just prefer not to throw codes, or want to be absolutely sure that it's running exactly like it's supposed to, you'll need a manual PCM for a '98 or '99 with the right options.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
jmerk

1997 SC2
1995 SL1

So the 95 sohc pcm won't operate the 99 dohc tranny even though they r both automatics. Guess i have to keep looking...... Ty.........
Old 03-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Gold Saturn
Gold Saturn is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

Quote:
Wondering if a 99sl2 dohc automatic transmission will work in a 95sl1 sohc? Also how hard of a swap is it to put a 98 sl2 dohc engine and manual trans into a 99sl2 with auto trans?
I read your other thread about your transmission issues and I'm a little biased on the issue myself so I'll just tell you straight out that the single best thing I did with my Saturn was swapping out the autotragic with a manual. No more codes, aggravations, and I picked up an honest 5+ mpg to boot. Couldn't be happier. It's not a very difficult job, just time consuming, but very straightforward and there's plenty of information on getting it done. I essentially had 2 automatics fail on me under 100k miles. 1 was my fault (diff pin failure) but the other was babied since install and still had the exact same symptoms you're talking about in your thread. I had replaced literally every sensor, input & output shaft nuts, rebuilt valve body & multiple fluid changes to no avail. All I needed the car for was my daily commute which is essentially all highway and by the end I found myself limping home nearly every night. It was cheaper for me to buy a whole donor car with everything needed for the swap after all the money I had spent trying to fix my auto...and the manual in my car now currently has 245k miles and still acts like new. Do yourself a favor and do the swap.
2000 SC1, 5 spd swapped @ 133k, totaled by drunk driver @ 165k, RIP
Gold Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
jmerk

1997 SC2
1995 SL1

I have to admit that this automatic has a definete mind of it's own. I would need a manual sohc tranny though from what year??? Hate to give up on this but as you suggest it may be the wise choice. TY......
Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Gold Saturn

2000 SC1

Quote:
I have to admit that this automatic has a definete mind of it's own. I would need a manual sohc tranny though from what year??? Hate to give up on this but as you suggest it may be the wise choice. TY......
Any will work from 92-02...my car is a 2000 and I used one from a 95.

Essentially best overall fuel mileage would be the manual out of a 98+ SOHC car, but you'd see definite gains from a 91-97. Like I said, mine doesn't have the tallest 5th gear but I got huge improvements. I wish I could've swapped in a DOHC motor at the same time, but it just wasn't in my budget or time constraints at the time, and on top of that my current motor runs so good there truly was no reason to get rid of it....my car is just a daily highway commuter anyway, I don't need the extra power.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
jmerk

1997 SC2
1995 SL1

Forgive me I'm a little new to Saturns but am hopefully learning quickly. A 98 dohc manual trans will work in this car? Also do you know if a 98 dohc manual will match up a 99 dohc automatic? Have a couple of different options for donor parts and want to use the parts correctly. TY......
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Gold Saturn

2000 SC1

Quote:
Forgive me I'm a little new to Saturns but am hopefully learning quickly. A 98 dohc manual trans will work in this car? Also do you know if a 98 dohc manual will match up a 99 dohc automatic? Have a couple of different options for donor parts and want to use the parts correctly. TY......
Yes, it will work. ANY manual will work regardless of the gearing and will bolt right up to your motor. All you'd have to do is get a manual PCM, I'd just match up the P/Ns of the computer to be sure.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
jmerk

1997 SC2
1995 SL1

2nd part of last post may have been confusing as i reread it. Was wondering if a 98 dohc engine with a manual trans will swap with a 99 dohc that has an auto trans. Would like to use the 98manual trans for my 95 and use the 98dohc motor in a 99 that has a good auto trans???? TY........
Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
Gold Saturn

2000 SC1

Quote:
2nd part of last post may have been confusing as i reread it. Was wondering if a 98 dohc engine with a manual trans will swap with a 99 dohc that has an auto trans. Would like to use the 98manual trans for my 95 and use the 98dohc motor in a 99 that has a good auto trans???? TY........
Both will work.