SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
svbb
svbb is on a distinguished road

Default Gas Mileage with cheap gas...?

I almost always fill up at a Mobile station near my house with 87 octane. Normally, my 04 V6 gets 25 - 27 mpg, with which I am VERY pleased.

Last week, I was really low on gas while helping a friend move, and I filled up with 87 at a 7-11 station.

Throughout the week, I noticed the engine pinging a little bit. I ran it down to 1/4 a tank and filled up, and did my fuel calculation: 17 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 MPG in a car that normally gets 27!!!???!!?

Now that I am back to a tank of my normal Mobil gas, the pinging has stopped, and I am expecting the mileage to be better off this tank.

I always was told that every regional station gets their gas from the same supplier--that it's all the same stuff. But what I got at the 7-11 was definitely substandard! Should I be this surprised? Would it stand to reason that anyone else with a V6 who is having issues with their mileage might want to try a different gas station?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svbb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svbb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svbb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Gas Mileage with cheap gas...?

A refinery may provide gas for many different brands. The refined gas might be the same, but the additives are different. And they DO make a difference.

All gas gets additives, even generic gas (it might be a generic one from DuPont for instance). The major brands tend to put more development into their products.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

A few other factors...perhaps one has ethanol in it, which decreases mileage a bit. Also, the 7-11 gas may not move very much so it could be stale, or there could be some water in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Gas has to meet certain Federal standard. Even name brand gas can have problems. One day I bought gas at an Exxon station. A few miles down the road the car died. 4 others that got gas did too (This was on my 1983 Stanza). After having to drain the fuel tank it was full of rust. I'm sure there are bad batches of gas too (Shell sold fuel with high levels of sulfur that ruined the gas gaguge contacts in the tank). When I had my Prizim I used to fill up at a no name gas station in New Jersey. After 7 years and 140,000 miles no problems and the gas mileage was fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Doesn't the Honda V6 require regular gas? If you get pinging on regular, you have a malfunction in the engine control system, assuming the engine is supposed to require only regular.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

There was report in our local paper today about "falling gas prices". (yeah right, a nickel over the past week)

The reason they said it was falling was due to increased supply. The increased supply was WINTER gas. Winter gas has less energy potential in it.
Could be that station got some that "winter gas" before Mobil did.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #7
Laurence
Laurence is on a distinguished road

Never fill the gas tank when the tanker truck is making a delivery to the gas station as it stirs up sediment that can get into the gas tank--even with name brands such as Shell, Exxon, Mobil, Chevron, etc.

All gas is essentially the same and unless it is a dedicted (i.e. Shell, etc.) terminal the tanker trucks will supply all gas stations in the area. All gas has required additives to meet federal requirements. However, Shell, Chevron, etc. have additional additives (Chevron has Techron) and after fillling up with gas the tanker truck will pull over to the Shell, Chevron, or whatever, supply tanks and the driver will add the additional proprietary additive before delivery to the gas station.

If one gets "bad" or "cheap" gas then it's usually the fault of the gas station which might have rust or other sediment in the tanks. Also, it has been known for gas to be "doctored." If you are suspicious that the gas has been doctored, or if the car stalls after a fillup, then it's a good idea to drain off some gas and have it analyzed as all states have regulatory agencies to monitor gas quality.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Laurence's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Laurence reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:06 PM   #8
mysweetgreenvue
mysweetgreenvue is on a distinguished road

I get the worst mpg (by far) from the discount gas stations (sheetz, Wawa, etc). I also buy all my gas near my hometown which is a significant distance from the city where stations get different gas to reduce pollution. Some people say gas comes from a few sources and you shouldn't see much of a difference in mpg, but something is definitely different when I use my local Sunoco gas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mysweetgreenvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mysweetgreenvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mysweetgreenvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:47 PM   #9
jeffb
jeffb is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-3 Sedan

Also, it is possible that the pump itself failed to give a full gallon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeffb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeffb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
2Fast4U
2Fast4U is on a distinguished road

I stay away from ****go/7 eleven gas as it continually made my check engine light go off. I must say that I have had great results with Mobil, Chevron and Texaco.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2Fast4U's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2Fast4U reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2Fast4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

A friend of my dads who works for the US department of weights and measures told me that the "cheap gas" typically is made up from the oil that sits in the pipeline between purchases made by the larger companies. One company will buy its slug then when another slug is purchased the oil that has been sitting is purchased and is pumped off before the next slug begins.
Kinda like the hot water in a garden hose in the summer.. let it run and the cool water will start flowing.

DJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
runerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #12
velo116
velo116 is on a distinguished road

So what exactly determines how you get the best gas mileage with a manual? Is it an absolute thing, like how much you have the gas pedal pushed in, or soley what RPM the motor is on, or a combination of the two?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velo116's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velo116 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velo116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:53 AM   #13
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

I think the RPM you shift at plays the biggest role (with all else being equal). The more you rev, the more gas you use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #14
TheDieselPusher
TheDieselPusher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksLS1
. One day I bought gas at an Exxon station. A few miles down the road the car died. 4 others that got gas did too (This was on my 1983 Stanza). After having to drain the fuel tank it was full of rust.
Your problem is an excellent reason why it is important to get a receipt. If you have a problem with bad gas and it damages your engine or tank, without a receipt you have no recourse to go back to the gas station and have them pay for the damage. Even if they know they had bad gas, how would they know that you purchased it from them without a receipt. This problem happens more with diesel than gas. I know numerous people that have had diesel problems and without the receipt they would of been up the creek with out a paddle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheDieselPusher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheDieselPusher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheDieselPusher is offline   Reply With Quote