SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #1
rgrafton
rgrafton is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Default '94 sl (oldie) --> '02 sc1 (newbie)

OK. So I'm getting rid of the oldie and putting the newbie on the road soon.

I need to know what I can/should/would be worthwhile to swap out from my oldie

Things already planning to swap from oldie to newbie
  • Strut+springs (especially after noticing the very bottom part of the front driver's side spring is broken)
  • Wheels/tires (the one wheel on the newbie is bent and the tires are not as good)
  • audio system.

Things I need help on deciding if I should swap from oldie to newbie
  • clutch + hydraulics? (all very low mileage on the oldie however i don't think it's the same sadly... any way I could make it work on the newbie?)
  • thermostat? (the thermostat in my '94 SL was replaced about 3 years ago, but the one in the '02 is most likely original and no longer good - the temp doesn't get up above 1/4 mark... is it a better idea just to get a brand new one?)
  • ECTS sensor? (it is 3 years old on my oldie... however it is a cheap part may just be worth buying new)

Any thing else that I should get out of the car to sell it? or just junk it?

Decisions to make with the oldie....Should I sell the perfectly good running engine maybe? sell the transmission with new clutch? sell the car although the frame is rusting out? replace the subframe and keep the car? ha so many possibilities, but i just don't know which one would be the smartest choice.

2002 SC1 5 speed 140k miles
1994 SL 5 speed 150k miles on engine (250k+ miles on car, tranny...etc.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgrafton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: '94 sl (oldie) --> '02 sc1 (newbie)

I'd keep the clutch and hydraulics as the earlier version has a better feel. They are interchangeable as long as they are both mated with an SOHC engine. If you prefer the feel of the Gen3 clutch then it's a wash.

As far as the thermostat and ECTS goes, they are both inexpensive parts and I'd tend to go with new parts. The 2002 have the brass tipped ECTS from the factory so failure is less likely.

I'd make sure the motor mounts with the most life left in them went onto the 2002. If you've replaced them on the 94 and you know they are fresh then compare with what's on the 2002 and decide which are the better. There are 4 mounts (top, 2 dogbones and trans).

If the struts are newer on the 2002 I'd just move the springs from the 94 over and maybe replace the strut mounts if they look worn. Gen3 springs are prone to breaking as you've observed.

Since your removing struts, if the front hubs/bearings are newer on the 94 you may want to move the spindles and hub assembly onto the 2002.

I guess the rest depends on what compatible parts you've replaced on the 94 and is in better condition than the 2002.

2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote