SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2002, 09:11 PM   #1
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

Default "L" series owners: Seeking the "LOW" life?

I just thought I would let you "L" series people know that I accidentally ran across Sprint lowering springs for your cars for only $129.00.

Hit the site www.cartunerz.com Put "saturn" in the search box and they will be near the bottom of the page.

You can thank me later,
Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2002, 12:36 PM   #2
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default lowering a L

Talked to the techs at SPS here in San Diego. The rear end is not adjustable in camber, if ya lower the back end your gonna be goin thru tires at twice the rate the unmoded suspension does. Wanted to lower mine an inch in the front and an inch and a half in the rear but not gonna do it now cause it doesn't make any sense to lower it to get better handling and reduce the tire contact patch by 50% in the process.

Jerry N
LW300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2002, 10:55 AM   #3
phatmac
phatmac is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up My H&R lowering springs aren't causing uneven tire wear

I put H&R lowering springs (from SPS) on my 2001 L300 at around 8,800 miles. The handling increase and the reduction of oversteer and body roll changed the character of the car entirely. Well worth the time and money.

I too was worried about increased tire wear in the rear because the stock camber is 1 degree plus or minus .5. (I'm doing this from memory, I'll get the actual figures). After the lowering the rear camber left and right was between 2-2.5 degrees. So it's out maybe a full degree from factory tolerances.

I'm at 23,500 miles right now, and haven't seen any increased wear. The last tire roation, I performed myself and measured the difference using a depth gauge comparing similar areas on the inside and outside of the tread area and there was no measurable difference in tread depth, hence no measured additional wear.

I highly doubt that the contact patch for the rear tires have been reduced 50% -- this is a heavy car with only up to one extra degree of camber.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatmac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatmac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2002, 10:58 AM   #4
phatmac

Default continued . . .

Of course if it worries you, I am all for piece of mind. So, you can make the rear camber adjustable using camber bolts, I went to my mechanic and the total cost of the installation and realignment would have cost me 160-180 dollars after the fact. If my Affinities wear out prematurely it would be a shame (jk) and I will have the camber bolts installed when I get new tires.

I think the improved appearance and handling are worth the risk--Obviously I did it. It may not be a mod for everyone.

Cheers,

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help phatmac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2002, 09:26 PM   #5
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: lowering a L

Quote:
Originally posted by s3nfo
Talked to the techs at SPS here in San Diego. The rear end is not adjustable in camber, if ya lower the back end your gonna be goin thru tires at twice the rate the unmoded suspension does. Wanted to lower mine an inch in the front and an inch and a half in the rear but not gonna do it now cause it doesn't make any sense to lower it to get better handling and reduce the tire contact patch by 50% in the process.

Jerry N
LW300
I just found a kit from eibach to get the back end back in shape.

http://www.racesearch.com/CGI/racese...duct_id=191879

Scroll down to the "L" series and you will see that they can alter the suspension by +/- degree. Doesn't sound like much but might get you back in spec.

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2002, 10:39 AM   #6
Harry
Advanced Member
Harry is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Question

Hmm, does "(Exc. wagon & EV1)" mean the LW's have a sufficiently different rear suspension that it doesn't fit? Looks that way

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2002, 12:23 PM   #7
phatmac

Default Re: Re: lowering a L

Quote:
Originally posted by Abe95SC2

I just found a kit from eibach to get the back end back in shape.

http://www.racesearch.com/CGI/racese...duct_id=191879

Scroll down to the "L" series and you will see that they can alter the suspension by +/- degree. Doesn't sound like much but might get you back in spec.

Abe.

Thanks Abe, I have been wondering what this setup looked like. Seems like a good investment to get back into spec for $25 bucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2002, 07:53 PM   #8
Fish
Fish is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Question Anyony tried the "Sprint" springs?

Does anyone have some real-world experience with these springs?

Do you think they can match H&R quality? I wonder at half the price, ya know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2002, 10:19 AM   #9
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default "Low Life" kits

Thanks Abe,

natch, I have a wagon. I'll go by the dealer at Kearney Mesa Tomorrow or Wed and crawl under the back end of a sedan and a wagon and compare. Need to get the wagon washed anyway.

Jerry N
LW300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!