SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Thedarknight
Thedarknight is on a distinguished road

Default Make turn signals flash instead of DRL

So I replaced all my headlights with LEDs, I also have pointed them to the ground so they donít blind oncoming drivers (Iíve asked a couple cops and they said they are fine). So back to the question since I have the LEDs now when the car was on the DRLs would turn on but it would be the high beams becaus low power draw, I fixed that by originally taking out the drl relay and jumping the pins (canít remember exact ones) and it allowed me to still use the high beams by it disables the DRLs. Well now Iíve cut the 86 pin on the relay and it has the same effect. But now the problem is I want to have my lights flash when I lock the car now all it does it honk, I know it has to do with the drl so I hoped by using the relay it would still work but it doesnít. So does anyone know of a way to disable the DRLs but keep the visual lock feed back? Also maybe changed from the DRLs flashing when locked to making the hazards flash, that would be better because you could see it lock from behind.

TLDR: disable DRL but make them flash when locking car. Or make hazards flash when locking car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thedarknight's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thedarknight reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thedarknight is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Make turn signals flash instead of DRL

Should be easy on a 96-99...just splice the horn output of the RKE module into the hazard circuit.
00-02 requires reprogramming the BCM which is darn near impossible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
Thedarknight

Well arenít I lucky, Iíve got an 02. Oh well was worth a shot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Thedarknight reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you're using led high beams, do they work in DRL mode?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Thedarknight

What happens is in DRL mode itís the same brightness as high beam mode, So I had to disable the DRL.

Iím trying to find how the RKE module tells the what ever to flash the high beams if I can intercept that wire before it goes to the BCM or the under hood fuse box then it should work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No RKE module in third gen Saturns. The body control module (BCM) was needed to carry more electronics; Passlock theft deterrent, OBD II diagnostics/gateway to the OBD II port, DRL, interior/exterior lighting, instrument panel lighting, indicators, audible alerts, remote keyless entry, etc.. Basically, everything the engine computer doesn't run. ABS and airbags have their own module.

DRLs, in the S-series cars, electronically wire high beams in series - this reduces current to both high beam lamps to prolong their life. This is fine for halogen lamps and daytime lighting since high beams aren't blinding anyone. Running factory halogen lamps in series doesn't dim their brightness too much for daytime use. Older incandescent lamps give a slightly yellow color from design and dim considerably if used in DRL mode where both high beams would be very low in intensity and likely display a dimmer yellowish light, useless for DRLs. If your led high beams are fine and work in DRL mode, it may be better to re-enable DRL circuitry. While there's no guarantee to shortening led life when wired in series (less current to each lamp), in theory they should last. Worse case scenario when you restore DRL wiring (replace the relay?) is flickering - one led light draws current while the second light can't draw enough and starts up then drops out and repeats. You'd have to restore DRL mode and become the beta tester to find out. A small price to pay if you want DRLs, led high beams and the visual blinking lights when using your remote to indicate Passlock theft protection.

If its any consolation, I made a careful study to adapt (low beam) HID lamps in my L300. DRL mode in the L-series uses a resistor to limit current to both low beams in normal parallel wiring for daytime lighting without dimming factory halogen lamps. The resistor is switched out for full current in night time driving. My low beams run in projector light housings with halogen lamps. HID lamps work perfectly in projector light housings but cannot work in DRL mode. Mine do without any modifications. Canbus electronics do not detect the ballasts and simply works in DRL mode as well as night time driving. They've been in use for over a year and run fine in DRL mode. My low beams are DRLs so the HID lights are on, no flickering or burning out ballasts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
Thedarknight

Iíve already tried the LED highs as DRLs and they do flicker so that made me disable the DRLs. Also for your projector housing did you retrofit or buy a housing? I couldnít find any aftermarket for the 2002 SC2.

So the wire and or wires that leave the BCM that connect to the high beams can I not just disconnect those and reroute them to the hazards? Or would that disable the use of higbeams? More I think about it seems it would.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Flickering in DRL mode wasn't mentioned until your last post, above. Now its clear - LED high beams will not work in DRL mode.

With the body control module, there's no way to attempt a work around to have flashing lights to display activating Passlock security unless you're willing to dig deep into wiring that may allow parking lights to flash when locking doors with your remote. This is complicated wiring and not something trivial. Unfortunately, I think this isn't feasible and more table talk than actual rewiring just to have flashing headlights. This idea requires advanced electronics, computer systems knowledge and wiring diagrams to have everything up front and not just talk.

I deliberately went into owner allowed access to disable beeping horns when locking with my remote. I despise the audible beep beep sound, a leftover from earlier days of everyone showing off their aftermarket alarm systems before they became a factory addition. All I need is to see and hear are the door locks cycling and headlights flashing to know security is enabled.

As I mentioned previously, L300's have projector light housings for low beams. This is standard lighting for the European version as GM made Vectras first in Europe before importing the car to the USA. GM went cheap with halogen lamps because they needed DRLs and did not want to install HID lights. I did my research and discovered my stock projector light housings can use HID lamps without blinding anyone. For low beam use, a metal cutoff plate inside projector light housings cut off the upper beam that blinds everyone without reducing higher intensity lighting HIDs are known for in low beam use. Without this metal cutoff plate, the low beam projectors simply becomes a high beam light blinding everyone. Projector headlights are the small round bullet lights that don't seem to look like they would put out much better lighting than older larger diameter reflector lights (you can see the lamps). Projector lights are smaller in diameter and hid lamps project farther with more light than older lights and no one can see the lamps hidden way inside. My stock low beams are projectors, simple HID plug n' play without any mods needed. This isn't applicable to many cars because I wanted DRLs and HIDs in one light. Dumb luck to find this in my car.

HID lights only work in parallel wired lighting systems, the normal wiring in every vehicle. DRL wiring manipulate low or high beams for series or resistor (high wattage to reduce current) circuitry and interfere with HID lighting requiring full power to each HID light/ballast. For whatever reason, my resistor and canbus circuit didn't protest. I have the best of both, DRL and HID lighting. My HID lights draw about 4-5 amps starting then settle down to around 3-4 amps, well within existing wiring capability in my car. Electronics didn't have a panic attack.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!