SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default How do I get the front bumper cover off

So eariler this morning I was going to replace my bumper cover with a new one I bought a while back but when I went to remove the 3 bolts near the tire, one of the heads snapped off. I don't know how I didn't see that coming but I didn't and looking at the other 5, they look like they're ready to snap too. How do I get these bolts off without destroying them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3881.jpg (199.1 KB, 17 views)

In England, they drive on the left side of the road. In New England, we drive on what's left of the road.
1997 SL2, 107K miles ~ My first car, trying to make it count

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: How do I get the front bumper cover off

Snap them and replace them with new hardware.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

If I do that would i have to retap any of the holes? Thinking about it I realized the bolts are probably just going into the bumper cover itself.

In England, they drive on the left side of the road. In New England, we drive on what's left of the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

They are clip nuts. You can get them at the auto Parts store.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
They are clip nuts. You can get them at the auto Parts store.
So the clip nuts just clip onto the plastic bumper? sounds easy enough. Is there a specific size I need to get? I'm assuming it's the same size as the bolts now, 7mm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
cgg17
cgg17 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
So the clip nuts just clip onto the plastic bumper? sounds easy enough. Is there a specific size I need to get? I'm assuming it's the same size as the bolts now, 7mm
Take an old one in and match it up. After removing those bolts remove the push pins on the bottom of the bumper and top by the hood latch then pull forward. Disconnect the side marker lights then it should be clear to pull off completely.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1999 Sl2 4spd: 93,5xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Doesn't seem too hard, I managed to pull one of the clips off by bending the plastic back a little bit. I'll take it to the store with me tomorrow to match up with some new ones. Thanks for the help guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #8
Zeebins

1997 SL2

So I have a similar question now, are the door panels held on with the clips too? A few days ago I was trying get the drivers side panel off to get to the window regulator but 2 of the screws on the bottom where just spinning and one was rounded for some reason. I know the only way I'll ever get them off is to cut the heads off the screws but I didn't do that at the time because I didn't want to have to retap any holes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #9
cgg17
cgg17 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
So I have a similar question now, are the door panels held on with the clips too? A few days ago I was trying get the drivers side panel off to get to the window regulator but 2 of the screws on the bottom where just spinning and one was rounded for some reason. I know the only way I'll ever get them off is to cut the heads off the screws but I didn't do that at the time because I didn't want to have to retap any holes.
On the bumper you broke the bolts that are in the tabs, as the head is gone. Now for the door, the bolts are still in. So, you snapped the tab on the panel that holds the clip. You will need to either cut the head off or get the panel off enough to get pliers on the tab. On first gens that I have messed with at the JY, I havenít snapped any, but every second gen Iíve touched I have snapped at least one per panel. I think the first gens had thicker panels and more supported tabs. So, if you want to get it off without breaking tabs, I would cut the heads off of the bolts and then get new ones later and use a hefty amount of anti seize compound before reassembly. Itís a PITA but nessecary if you want to retain the unbroken tabs.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1999 Sl2 4spd: 93,5xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #10
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
So, you snapped the tab on the panel that holds the clip.
The thing that snapped the tabs on the panel probably wasn't me but a truck that backed into it about 12 years ago, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
So, if you want to get it off without breaking tabs, I would cut the heads off of the bolts and then get new ones later and use a hefty amount of anti seize compound before reassembly. Itís a PITA but nessecary if you want to retain the unbroken tabs.
I'll definitely try this though when I do eventually try to remove the door panel again. What about the tabs that are already broken though, is there anything I can do about those?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2018, 06:42 AM   #11
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

If the bolts just spin, the tab has broken and you are spinning the clip nut. Most likely​ it won't retain the door skin anymore. If you can remove the rest of the tabs it should come off. My driver's side door skin is missing at least 4 fasteners. OldNuc suggests velcro as one fix. Someday I'll fiberglass up some new tabs.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #12
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

The bolts inside your fender liner have been covered. The next bolts that will likely be problematic, will be the two 10mm nuts that run through the fender to the bumper, by your side marker assemblies.

They have a bad weld, that cracks when you try to break them loose. I had to hacksaw my right side bolts, because they snapped the stud welds to the bracket and you couldn't get channel locks or vice grips to hold the studs.

when I bought my SC2, I had to replace the RT fender, so I also chopped through the fender to get to those studs. They were miserable.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #13
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
The bolts inside your fender liner have been covered. The next bolts that will likely be problematic, will be the two 10mm nuts that run through the fender to the bumper, by your side marker assemblies.
10mm nuts? I replaced the bumper eariler and I didn't have to touch any 10mm nuts running through the fender. Just the 6 7mm nuts and some push pins. Are you referring to the bolts that the bumper hooks onto?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!