SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
Lightfoot2002
Lightfoot2002 has a spectacular aura aboutLightfoot2002 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
Default Leather shift knob.

Hello All. I want to replace the plastic gear shift knob on my 02 SC2 with the leather optional one. I know that the original ones are hard to come by. Are there any after market ones that are identical to the original leather type? And will they fit the gear shift shaft? Thanks to all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lightfoot2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lightfoot2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lightfoot2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Leather shift knob.

Manual trans?

OEM knob presses over a plastic retainer that circles the shifter shaft, held on by friction. AFAIK, it's unique to Saturn. There is a cutout at the top of the shaft that makes the front of the shaft flat, keeps the knob pointed forward and prevents it from spinning on the shaft (crappy MSpaint drawing attached)

Most aftermarket knobs that I've seen have a retainer ring underneath the knob, with set screws (Allen) that are supposed to hold on to the shaft.

The OEM leather knob is a plastic knob underneath, with a bit of foam (I think) and leather stitched over it - someone here cut open a leather knob and took pics. If you have time and patience, you can make a perfectly fitting DIY leather cover. Just search these terms for videos and How Tos

diy leather cover shift knob water baseball stitch

I did put on an aftermarket leather knob on my SL2 about five years ago, so probably put 50~60k on it without the screws coming loose. Pics in this post

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...postcount=1943

Quote:
New leather shift knob... none of the adapters fit the weird Saturn D-shaft. I started with a piece of garden hose for a cheap DIY adapter. Ended up stripping the vinyl outer skin of the hose from the rubber internal, and just a small (maybe 1/3 inch wide) piece of the green vinyl (less than 1/16 inch thick) made the new knob fit on very tight.
Basically, the shaft on the Saturn was a bit narrower than the set-screw collar on the aftermarket knob. A small bit of vinyl garden hose made it a really tight fit and gave a surface that the set screws could bite into.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shifter knob drawing.jpg (22.0 KB, 4 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 05-18-2018 at 10:10 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Leather shift knob.

This indicates DIY is harder than it looks. I still plan on trying, though

http://www.thehogring.com/2017/10/10...ob-in-leather/

A while back, I found a good How To, think it included tips on shrinking the leather to fit the knob well but I could not find it. Some info for myself, for future reference.

something from a Miata forum

Quote:
I made this one on my second attempt. Not so hard. An upholstery guy told me not to use thick hide - use thin belly leather instead because it stretches and is easier to hand sew. I used an old men's size XL leather glove, which gave me just enough for two - one for practice.

I got the pattern by wrapping some 2" tape around the knob, cutting it so the mating edges were vertical, and then unwrapping. . . .
I was going to try a baseball pattern, but it was too hard to figure out.. . .
Get yourself some leather needles and waxed canvas twine, and just whipstitch it by hand. Join the top to the side first, slip it over the knob, and sew it on in place. Total time spent: 2 hours.
Quote:
If you preprick all the holes before you stitch it together, you don't need a heavy-duty machine at all. . . .
I would make a paper pattern first. Followed by one or two examples with a medium thick felt. That will show you exactly where your stitching needs to go and the shape of your pieces. Once that far, then you transfer to your leather, prick the stitch holes on a piece of scrap wood and then assemble on the knob while watching tv. . . .

run the leather about 1/4" longer than the bottom of the knob, and then stitch thread around the perimeter of the "tail" to make kind of a drawstring sack. This lets you cinch up the bottom right up to the shifter rod for a nice tight transition to the shift boot. . . run the leather about 1/4" longer than the bottom of the knob, and then stitch thread around the perimeter of the "tail" to make kind of a drawstring sack. This lets you cinch up the bottom right up to the shifter rod for a nice tight transition to the shift boot
http://www.instructables.com/id/Leat...hift-bootknob/

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote