SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
02sl1sat
02sl1sat is on a distinguished road

Default Fuel tank pressure sensor

I have a 02 sl1 and I'm trying to replace the fuel tank pressure sensor. Do I have to completely remove the fuel tank like identifix says or can I just lower the tank slightly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02sl1sat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02sl1sat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02sl1sat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Fuel tank pressure sensor

It is on top and if you can get it to drop down about 4-6 inches in the back you can ge at it, it is not easy and just running the tank real low and then pumping it dry with the fuel pump will be simpler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
02sl1sat

Awesome sauce I'm getting a p0446 code and I already replaced the purge solenoid. I checked the hose it appeared to be perfect so I'm lead to believe the ftp sensor is bad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 02sl1sat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That is a real possibility but a leaking vent solenoid will do the same thing and it is easier to check. The code indicates the VENT solenoid is not venting. Take it out and verify it will open and close properly by passing air through it, power with 12v. If the vent works then the pressure sensor is shot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:48 AM   #5
02sl1sat

Vent solenoid brand new. However I'm gonna check my purge flow this morning on the snap on scanner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
02sl1sat

Results of the test: vent valve solenoid always open key on engine off, idle, or rebels always open. Purge solenoid switched between on and off every time I would rev the engine to idle always changed so I'm led to believe its working properly. Ftp sensor always red 4.8v never changed from key on engine off to idle to rev always 4.8 so I'm believing its a bad ftp sensor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yep, pressure sensor dead. Always good to be sure when you have to dismantle the car off of the part you suspect is bad to find out after it is replaced you missed the real failed part which is right out in the open.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
02sl1sat

Yea at least the solenoid was easy only thing I had to remove was the fender liner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did you try eliminating other issues like a leak in the fuel vapor system, not allowing the system to seal in order for the fuel pressure sensor to detect a vacuum and vapor pressure? While there's always a possibility of a faulty fuel pressure sensor, they're more reliable than given credit for. To understand how they work and what vacuum and pressures are measured requires some background info and ways to diagnose good ones from faulty ones. Corroded fuel vapor lines that rust thru can prevent the evap system from sealing to perform vacuum and pressures tests. We're not talking 30-60 psi. 15 inches of vacuum (or less) and around 2 psi of vapor pressure in a tank when the evap system is performed during each engine cycle.

Here's one site explaining a P0446 error; https://www.google.com/amp/s/repairp...code-P0446.amp. There are ways to test the f/p sensor. One way is measuring voltage output but you'd have to create a vacuum and pressures to see it output different voltages to diagnose whether or not it's operating as designed. Just measuring output at atmospheric pressure doesn't determine if it's measuring vacuum or pressure. You can Google how to test f/p sensors before dropping the tank. And you'll have to consider wiring too to this sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote