SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #1
hacker_dx
hacker_dx is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2004 VUE 3.5L
Default 2007 Ion 2 5spd. Surging, high engine load

Hello everyone,
I noticed lately that while cruising down the road, my car wills have moments were it feels a little labored, then itís gone.
Almost like the AC kicked on but nothing is on (fan, lights, radio etc). Itís only lately that it seems more frequent. Gas mileage is normal(27-30) as it has been for 60k+.
I have been using the FIXD app/hardware to monitor readings lately and just wanted to compare a couple readouts
Attached screenshots
#1 - At idle,
#2 - key on/engine off. Accel pedal fully depressed

Is it possible for the pedal or throttle body to be marginally failing?

So thats what I have, l physically checked to TB for debris, damage, nothing. It moves smoothly through the range, though makes a little noise.
Idle and rpms seem normal, though always slow to drop after an upshift

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!
Craig
Attached Images
File Type: png 208A0257-03E5-4EDB-AB23-4A6FE9113A9D.png (101.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png 265816E2-3863-4E07-87A6-96413BD455A6.png (100.1 KB, 6 views)

Current = 2007 Ion Sedan L2, 2004 Vue AWD6
Out there=99-SC2 84-Rampage 96-SL2 91-daytona 93-cutlass 89-daytona shelby 89-aries 79-colt 87-daytona 82-citation 85-nissan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hacker_dx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hacker_dx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hacker_dx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
hacker_dx

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2004 VUE 3.5L
Roll Eyes Re: 2007 Ion 2 5spd. Surging, high engine load

.... anyone?
How about pinouts to test the throttle body?
Anyone with a scangauge or similar with readouts of load at idle?

Current = 2007 Ion Sedan L2, 2004 Vue AWD6
Out there=99-SC2 84-Rampage 96-SL2 91-daytona 93-cutlass 89-daytona shelby 89-aries 79-colt 87-daytona 82-citation 85-nissan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hacker_dx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Ion 2 5spd. Surging, high engine load

With drive by wire systems, it would have been wise to record baseline values when the car was new or when a reader was purchased and the car was running fine without issues. After values are recorded, any new issues can be compared to your baseline to see if any differences are related to new issues. As it is, it's anyone's guess if your throttle values are correct or not. Using (different) values from my L300 with similar drive by wire system, my initial throttle opening, like all throttles, will vary since air and coolant temps vary and have a direct influence on engine starting/throttle position. This value, in percentage from 0-100, would be around 5-15% for starting. A warm engine may have throttle below 10% since the engine doesn't need extra fuel and is closer to operating temperatures. Cold engine start for my L300 shows around 6.6% throttle opening, 2.35% restart with a fully warmed engine.

To have a fair assessment, your values should be compared to another Ion in the same scenario. Initial diagnosis of throttle; have someone press throttle pedal (ignition ON, engine off) while you observe throttle plate movement. Throttle movement should mimic pedal travel since pedal signals are sent to the ecm with the ecm commanding throttle plate movement - true drive by wire systems. Any erratic throttle movement might indicate one of four issues; throttle actuator, electronic pedal, ecm and wiring among the three. Outside of possible electronic issues, this may be as simple as spark plugs, ignition system or fuel. Many things should be considered as this problem comes and goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:54 PM   #4
hacker_dx

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2007 Ion 2 5spd. Surging, high engine load

... While I agree that recording any values where the car was running correctly, whose to say what values would need to be recorded?
I appreciate anyone who can contribute their own observed values for the readings Iíve posted ( Throttle Position, Throttle Actuator, Load Values at Idle, Accel Position(s))
Thank you fdryer.

I had inspected and observed the throttle plate during itís range of motion. It moves smoothly, however there is an electronic whine and slightly grating sound at the same time. It opens fully, I found some additional values to monitor now that reflect a fully depressed pedal. However the TPS doesnít match.
Wouldnít this throw a code? Isnít it part of a inital startup check?
If I knew what pins to check I would get out the analog multimeter and check for inconsistencies.

2 additional readouts fully warmed engine. #1 pedal on the floor in gear at speed(5th 1500rpm). #2 Idle

This is using the FIXD app and hardware($10 at a secondhand store)
Attached Images
File Type: png DDA138D0-5460-471F-BA7E-97F182BB827B.png (110.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png 366332D1-17BC-43FF-A17D-09C05F0FE634.png (99.7 KB, 0 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!