SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2019, 12:47 AM   #1
id4rox
id4rox has a spectacular aura aboutid4rox has a spectacular aura aboutid4rox has a spectacular aura about

Default Possible to open and replace components of BCM?

My 07 no longer has power door "lock". Switches and remote can unlock, but attempts to power-lock results in the BCM clicking with no power going to the locks. I'd rather not but a new BCM and pay for programming, so does anyone know if it's possible to buy a used BCM, open them up and replace only particular components to fix my power door lock issue without a total BCM replacement/reprogram?

I'm guessing it's a long shot, but hoping someone has ripped one apart to see what's possible before I venture in to the guts of a BCM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to id4rox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help id4rox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
id4rox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2019, 04:47 AM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Possible to open and replace components of BCM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by id4rox View Post
My 07 no longer has power door "lock". Switches and remote can unlock, but attempts to power-lock results in the BCM clicking with no power going to the locks. I'd rather not but a new BCM and pay for programming, so does anyone know if it's possible to buy a used BCM, open them up and replace only particular components to fix my power door lock issue without a total BCM replacement/reprogram?

I'm guessing it's a long shot, but hoping someone has ripped one apart to see what's possible before I venture in to the guts of a BCM!
If you have the ability to confirm exactly which components are bad and the proper tools to replace them I don't see why you couldn't do this. However, I think it's a lot easier said than done.

Just so I understand you correctly, the doors unlock but don't lock at all, regardless if the remote or the door lock switch on either door is used. Is this correct?

Do you get the same result if you use the switch on the passenger door and also if the key is turned on?

Do you hear any chimes when attempting to lock the doors?

Have you checked all the fuses at the interior fuse panel?

I want to make sure the doors aren't locking then unlocking right after they lock. This would mean that something is telling the BCM to not lock the doors. A bad door ajar switch can cause this to happen if the key is left in the ignition in the OFF position. Because the door ajar switch is bad, the BCM will think a door is open and invokes that anti-lockout feature that is intended to prevent you from locking the keys in the car. However, like I said earlier, the way this feature is implemented the doors lock for a moment then unlock. The BCM doesn't just simply prevent the doors from locking when the button is pressed.

Another way to tell if a door ajar switch is bad is if the dome light doesn't go out immediately after shutting all the doors when the key is in the RUN position. Of course, the dome light switch needs to be set to the DOOR position to try this.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 181K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 193K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 36K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This is a bcm for L300's and I believe Ions are similar - no user serviceable parts for repair. Go ahead if you feel comfortable examining yours as you'll probably see similar parts. The large round thing is the electronic speaker that makes all the sounds and beeps for alerts. The large square is the cpu. The other smaller parts are voltage regulator and power transistors. The ic chips and other surface mounted devices are permanently soldered in place and not designed for repairs since both sides of the circuit board have a conformal coating, a clear flexible seal against exposure to moisture and other contaminants that would degrade electronics exposed to the environment. These boards are one time use - manufactured, tested then used. In or out of warranty, they're simply replaced and programmed by GM dealerships with mileage and other info. None are repaired. Used bcms retain mileage and cannot be altered despite a few claiming so. Once relearned for Passlock security, used bcms seem to be the inexpensive repair compared to new replacements requiring GM programming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg body control module.jpg (145.3 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
id4rox
id4rox has a spectacular aura aboutid4rox has a spectacular aura aboutid4rox has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
If you have the ability to confirm exactly which components are bad and the proper tools to replace them I don't see why you couldn't do this. However, I think it's a lot easier said than done.

Just so I understand you correctly, the doors unlock but don't lock at all, regardless if the remote or the door lock switch on either door is used. Is this correct? Yes, correct

Do you get the same result if you use the switch on the passenger door and also if the key is turned on? Yes, same result

Do you hear any chimes when attempting to lock the doors? Yes. If a door is ajar and I attempt to lock the doors via remote or switches (either side), I'll get the warning chimes alerting me that I'm [trying to] locking the doors with them still open

Have you checked all the fuses at the interior fuse panel? Yes, I've checked all fuses and tried replacing with other known-working fuses. Even replaced the relays, even though I dont think they are specifically involved with the locks, I checked everything on the BCM

I want to make sure the doors aren't locking then unlocking right after they lock. This would mean that something is telling the BCM to not lock the doors. A bad door ajar switch can cause this to happen if the key is left in the ignition in the OFF position. Because the door ajar switch is bad, the BCM will think a door is open and invokes that anti-lockout feature that is intended to prevent you from locking the keys in the car. However, like I said earlier, the way this feature is implemented the doors lock for a moment then unlock. The BCM doesn't just simply prevent the doors from locking when the button is pressed.

Another way to tell if a door ajar switch is bad is if the dome light doesn't go out immediately after shutting all the doors when the key is in the RUN position. Of course, the dome light switch needs to be set to the DOOR position to try this.I believe the door ajar switches all work fine. I replaced them a few years ago when one started to act up. The warning chimes sound if I attempt to lock the doors with a door open, and opening/closing the doors makes the dome light come on/go off as expected.
Thanks for the thoughts and detailed suggestions! I added some comments above. I have ruled out everyting except the BCM I believe so far. The only thing that doesn't make 100% sense still is that if I unlock the doors with the door switch and then with no delay press the lock switch while the doors are still unlocking, I can notice the door locks actually moving towards the locked position by about 1/100th of an inch. It's barely visible, but it ever so slightly moves towards the lock position. Almost as if the door locks normally gets 0 power when I try to lock the doors, but if the locking attempt rides on the immediate coattails of the unlock it gets 0.05% power and moves to lock just a super tiny bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help id4rox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
id4rox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
This is a bcm for L300's and I believe Ions are similar - no user serviceable parts for repair. Go ahead if you feel comfortable examining yours as you'll probably see similar parts. The large round thing is the electronic speaker that makes all the sounds and beeps for alerts. The large square is the cpu. The other smaller parts are voltage regulator and power transistors. The ic chips and other surface mounted devices are permanently soldered in place and not designed for repairs since both sides of the circuit board have a conformal coating, a clear flexible seal against exposure to moisture and other contaminants that would degrade electronics exposed to the environment. These boards are one time use - manufactured, tested then used. In or out of warranty, they're simply replaced and programmed by GM dealerships with mileage and other info. None are repaired. Used bcms retain mileage and cannot be altered despite a few claiming so. Once relearned for Passlock security, used bcms seem to be the inexpensive repair compared to new replacements requiring GM programming.
Cool, thanks for sharing this is super helpful to see what's on the inside. I'll have to look in to re-learning passlock security. I might be open to buying a used BCM online from a car with the same features as mine if it helps test whether the BCM is the issue. I have no plans to sell the car since it's 12 years old and the value is basically non-existent. I plan to keep it till it needs junking, so I wouldn't mind having a different odometer value... I'd just keep a note for my records to know what the real mileage is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2008 VUE 2.4L

Have you considered the master switch on the driver's door? If that were bad, it could be sending a "UNLOCK" signal out constantly which would mimic what I understand to be your symptoms.

It would also NOT provoke a chime or interior lights (as you reported don't happen).

My experience with the door ajar switch is different than yours. For a while, my car was auto-unlocking, including while driving. There were no other really visible symptoms. It turned out that it was the driver's door ajar switch.

The door ajar switches are electrically open when the doors are closed. So they are electrically closed when the door is 'open'. To test, I simply disconnected the door ajar switch (leaving it electrically open) and the problem went away. I then acquired a replacement switch.

I personally would not feel comfortable in the thought, "I replaced them a couple of years ago so they should still be good"...

Peter

CURRENT:
08 Vue XE Black 2.4L
07 Ion 3 Savannah Green Metallic 2.4L
04 Ion 2 Berry Red 2.2

PREVIOUS:
99 SL2 Silver Plum
99 SL2 Dark Blue
95 SL2 Lilac Metallic
94 SW2 White

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote