SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Feedback on ACDelco 12680750 GM Timing Chain Kit with Tensioner, Guides

Hi guys & gales!

Ever used this Timing Chain kit for your 2.4L Ecotec?

ACDelco 12680750 GM Timing Chain Kit with Tensioner, Guides & Cloyes 9-4202S Balance Shaft Kit

If you did, what is your feedback on it, your impression, thoughts???

engine is 179 000 Km and recently car when into limp mode, bla bla bla.... ended up not starting. Garagiste judge that one of the guides broke, leaving the timing chain with a loose, ended up skipping on Timing and Not Starting anymore.

I will see and confirm on Monday etc, but I know the original timing chain looks realy skinny and tiny compared to this one from a updated more beefy version of AC Delco that I'm going to get installed to fix the problem.

I so hope it works well after and that the engine still intact, should be.

Feeling worried.....

Sam The Man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81lue-97m+L._SL1500_.jpg (129.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Prime Item.jpg (76.8 KB, 5 views)

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

Last edited by Samtherecordman; 07-27-2019 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: oups

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Feedback on ACDelco 12680750 GM Timing Chain Kit with Tensioner, Guides

The 2.2L and 2.4L Ecotec engines utilize the same timing chain and balance shaft chain components. I will be installing Cloyes brand sets (all gears and tensioners included) on my car soon. With regard to the ACDelco 12680750 kit, this is an OEM set which I found at my preferred OE parts website and I would have no qualms about installing it.

Questions: have you purchased the kit already? If so, was there a reason why you choose one that did not include replacement crank and camshaft gears? (This is simply out of curiousity and nothing more.)

313,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Feedback on ACDelco 12680750 GM Timing Chain Kit with Tensioner, Guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
The 2.2L and 2.4L Ecotec engines utilize the same timing chain and balance shaft chain components. I will be installing Cloyes brand sets (all gears and tensioners included) on my car soon. With regard to the ACDelco 12680750 kit, this is an OEM set which I found at my preferred OE parts website and I would have no qualms about installing it.

Questions: have you purchased the kit already? If so, was there a reason why you choose one that did not include replacement crank and camshaft gears? (This is simply out of curiousity and nothing more.)
I realize that. Cause I wanted the AC Delco kit specifically regardless. Unless is something wrong with the 3 sprokets. More then likely the chain will be damage or stretch more then a gear missing a tooth. If thats the case then i'll be ****, cause that mean more ordering and more time down.

This is the only kit from Cloyes that fits my 2.4 : Cloyes 9-4201SX Timing Chain. It does not come with the gears. Its identical to the AC Delco One.

I purchased it only to SAVE money. Another factor was how quick I would get the part at home. Some kit from (china) had the balancer chain and timing chain everything in it, but I would only get it in August. And the quality would have been well doubthfull.

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

Last edited by Samtherecordman; 07-28-2019 at 01:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtherecordman View Post
I realize that. Cause I wanted the AC Delco kit specifically regardless. Unless is something wrong with the 3 sprokets. More then likely the chain will be damage or stretch more then a gear missing a tooth. If thats the case then i'll be ****, cause that mean more ordering and more time down.

This is the only kit from Cloyes that fits my 2.4 : Cloyes 9-4201SX Timing Chain. It does not come with the gears. Its identical to the AC Delco One.

I purchased it only to SAVE money. Another factor was how quick I would get the part at home. Some kit from (china) had the balancer chain and timing chain everything in it, but I would only get it in August. And the quality would have been well doubthfull.
I purchased it (On LIne, meaning on the internet) to SAVE money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That was interesting to notice regarding the cam gears. The OEM website does not even list a number for them on a 2.4L engine. I believe that this may have something to do with variable valve timing on your engine, but I'm not certain of that. Regardless, your decision for purchasing the ACDelco kit is sensible. (Which, of course, you already knew! ).

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
That was interesting to notice regarding the cam gears. The OEM website does not even list a number for them on a 2.4L engine. I believe that this may have something to do with variable valve timing on your engine, but I'm not certain of that. Regardless, your decision for purchasing the ACDelco kit is sensible. (Which, of course, you already knew! ).
I think your right. I looked and I can't get the Two Sproket for Int and Exh for the Timing chain. Probably having to do with VVT. I can probably get it but in Aftermaket.

I do can get this seperate.... Crankshaft Gear - GM (24424758). Which is the one on the bottom part. How important this be new and what is the odd the old one is brokend since its smaller? Either way, I have to know real soon cause I will have to order it and fast!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtherecordman View Post
...I do can get this seperate.... Crankshaft Gear - GM (24424758). Which is the one on the bottom part. How important this be new and what is the odd the old one is brokend since its smaller? Either way, I have to know real soon cause I will have to order it and fast!
In general, when starting with a new chain it's always preferable to have new gears. One member in the L-Series Forum did a micrometer check on the gears being replaced and found the wear was very minimal. The odds of a crankshaft gear being damaged are very low. My former experience in aftermarket auto parts and repair never revealed a failure on this part. It was far more common to have a camshaft gear lose a tooth, but that does not mean that it was a highly regular occurence.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
In general, when starting with a new chain it's always preferable to have new gears. One member in the L-Series Forum did a micrometer check on the gears being replaced and found the wear was very minimal. The odds of a crankshaft gear being damaged are very low. My former experience in aftermarket auto parts and repair never revealed a failure on this part. It was far more common to have a camshaft gear lose a tooth, but that does not mean that it was a highly regular occurence.
My car still at the garage. After I finally got all the parts for the work on last Thursday. Brought it over. Said my car would go in the garage on Friday. Saturday, I go and my car still not in the garage. Its a long Weekend here in New Brunswick, Canada. He said he will bring it in on Tuesday. Why does that mechanic has to be so slow, i feel like i have to push him in the bum to get moving. I need my car for work, I can't pay $100 round trip in taxi each day.

I opened the valve cover on Saturday and yes the chain was loose. One of the guides must have let go or the tensioner must died.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!