SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
Seņor Ramos
Seņor Ramos is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Serious oil leak, my poor Ion's in trouble! (quarts daily)

So I don't drive my car often, which is lucky. It's a 2003 Ion. The leak (which is more like a burst dam since I have to put at least 1 quart in it every single time I have to drive even a couple of miles) seems to be coming from a hose that's located directly behind the oil filter housing right where it connectes to the engine. I've tried looking online to see exactly what this hose is and I'm not finding any luck. Think you guys can help me with a prognosis here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180822_095447.jpg (179.8 KB, 22 views)

1998 Saturn SL1, dark green. His name is Mean Joe Green, and he will rock you. R.I.P.
2003 Saturn Ion 1, silver. His name is Tom Landry, and he's here to stay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seņor Ramos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seņor Ramos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seņor Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Serious oil leak, my poor Ion's in trouble! (quarts daily)

I could be wrong about this, but I think it would also be helpful if you could tell us where this suspect hose connects at its opposite end in order to identify it. In visiting some OE parts websites I came across nothing which showed that item on a parts breakdown page. If you could provide a wider picture, or series of pictures to show its layout that would be useful as well.

296,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

That hose is for the power brake booster. There's zero chance of that being the source of your leak.

Check the PCV hose going from the valve cover to the air intake housing. Make sure it isn't plugged.

You can also remove the intake manifold and check the PCV opening between the 2 and 3 cylinder runners.

If you need to add that much oil in such a short period of time, you probably have a major problem such as a bad head gasket, leaking main seal, or bad piston rings.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 179K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 190K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Ramos View Post
So I don't drive my car often, which is lucky. It's a 2003 Ion. The leak (which is more like a burst dam since I have to put at least 1 quart in it every single time I have to drive even a couple of miles) seems to be coming from a hose that's located directly behind the oil filter housing right where it connectes to the engine. I've tried looking online to see exactly what this hose is and I'm not finding any luck. Think you guys can help me with a prognosis here?
^^^In addition to Pierrot and Ruley73's comments, take a very good look at the oil filter cap. These crack very easily. You have the 1st version of this cap GM used. There is an updated version now. The GM kit has a new cap,filter and seal and I believe Dorman offers an aftermarket cap only.

These caps crack due to being turned to tight as well as the heating effect on plastic. Look at the webbing/well right behind the oil filter cap. If it's full of oil...your cap is very likely cracked.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
That hose is for the power brake booster. There's zero chance of that being the source of your leak.
Just to clarify for me, a non-Ion owner, does the power brake booster vacuum hose have a braided exterior sheath?

296,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Should be no oil external oil lines/hoses on the Saturn ION engine.
Oil leak is going to be from the oil filter cap or sealing o ring for the cap. Clean the area with brake clean so it is free from oil. Run the engine and watch for where the oil is coming from.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
Seņor Ramos

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Correct, sir!

Quote:
Check the PCV hose going from the valve cover to the air intake housing. Make sure it isn't plugged.
No pluggage! All is clean there.

Quote:
You can also remove the intake manifold and check the PCV opening between the 2 and 3 cylinder runners.
I've all but dismantled that whole area as I decided to change the spark plugs, clean out the throttle body and do some other general cleaning up. I only see the oil right behind the oil filter housing going down.

Quote:
If you need to add that much oil in such a short period of time, you probably have a major problem such as a bad head gasket, leaking main seal, or bad piston rings.
I bought a new oil filter cap and changed the oil/filter while I was at it. Tomorrow when I finish putting everything back together I'll cross my fingers that you're wrong. I really hope it's just that darn lid lol.

1998 Saturn SL1, dark green. His name is Mean Joe Green, and he will rock you. R.I.P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Seņor Ramos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
Seņor Ramos

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Just to clarify for me, a non-Ion owner, does the power brake booster vacuum hose have a braided exterior sheath?
That it does!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2018, 02:37 AM   #9
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
I bought a new oil filter cap and changed the oil/filter while I was at it. Tomorrow when I finish putting everything back together I'll cross my fingers that you're wrong. I really hope it's just that darn lid lol.
I hope it's just the filter cap too. I never understood how anyone could over tighten those. It's not like the oil drain plug where you can just keep wrenching on it and strip the threads. A very distinct stop is felt when the filter cap is completely tight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #10
Seņor Ramos

2003 ION-1 Sedan

If I did everything, and now the car cranks but doesn't start, could that be because it was so low on oil before I changed it?

I have quite the day ahead of me it seems!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Update please

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #12
Seņor Ramos

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemier7 View Post
Update please
I'm stumped. I'm very worried I did something to the engine.

It still cranks without starting. Battery is fine, fuel is coming in, I'm not sure what else to check. I fear something happened during the brief time it was low on oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
I'm stumped. I'm very worried I did something to the engine.

It still cranks without starting. Battery is fine, fuel is coming in, I'm not sure what else to check. I fear something happened during the brief time it was low on oil.
I doubt you did any damage to the engine. Look for broken or frayed wires in the the area around the oil filter housing - specifically on the side where the engine & trans are bolted together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

[QUOTE
I've all but dismantled that whole area as I decided to change the spark plugs, [/QUOTE]

^^^^Since you pulled the coil pack to change the plugs I'd look very closely at the Ignition control module/wires located on top of the coil pack. You might have an issue there. Bad connection/broken wire. No fire, no Run!

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #15
Seņor Ramos

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
[QUOTE
I've all but dismantled that whole area as I decided to change the spark plugs,
^^^^Since you pulled the coil pack to change the plugs I'd look very closely at the Ignition control module/wires located on top of the coil pack. You might have an issue there. Bad connection/broken wire. No fire, no Run![/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking. I bought a scan tool because the engine light came on when the no-start issue began. I ran the test and got 4 codes.

P0113
P0122
P0700
P1791

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #16
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking. I bought a scan tool because the engine light came on when the no-start issue began. I ran the test and got 4 codes.

P0113
P0122
P0700
P1791
I'd first check your connections at the intake air temp and throttle position sensors. However, that combination of codes make me think that you may have a power fault with the ECM and/or TCM. Check all connections at the ECM & TCM, and the grounds. Also make sure the connection is clean at the main positive stud on the underhood fuse block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #17
Seņor Ramos

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
I'd first check your connections at the intake air temp and throttle position sensors. However, that combination of codes make me think that you may have a power fault with the ECM and/or TCM. Check all connections at the ECM & TCM, and the grounds. Also make sure the connection is clean at the main positive stud on the underhood fuse block.
Between moving and a wolf work schedule I've been unable to get back to the car. I'm headed to it today. I'll be using a multimeter to make sure everything in that area is working. Unfortunately I'm in Philly and I can't exactly leave this thing in a driveway. If I can't fix it soon I may be forced to junk it.

Wish me luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Keep us updated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote