SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #41
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: and so it begins....

The one with the lowest oil consumption history and the cleanest piston crowns. There is also a piston difference between those 2 and that has to be sorted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #42
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

00-02 the piston fits both SOHC and DOHC and the older is specific to a SOHC or DOHC configuration. With the 99 DOHC head there will be no effective compression difference between your 2 choices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #43
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quick question. Is sunroof an option in the PCM/BCM programming on the 99? I don't think it is but thought I should check.

Otherwise, if I convert the 99 from auto to manual transmission and the donor 99 car is not optioned with a sunroof am I going to have to reprogram?

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #44
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The 99 is gen-2 and no BCM. Below is a shot of the entire, complete, gen-2 PCM option listing.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ions/cat/12963

No sunroof programming. The add in there that is not on the list is the AIR subsystem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #45
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Thank you sir!

I picked up a donor 99 SL2 MT with 182K km and optioned the same as my 99 SL2 AT (except sunroof) project car.

I'm good to go on this project now! Well, as soon as I find the space in my garage!

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #46
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Found out my garage does have a cement floor! For the second time in 13 years I can park a car in the garage.

Last night I started the dis-assembly of the 99 SL2 MT donor car to extract the engine and transmission. So far so good in regards to removing rusty bolts but I've only removed the hood, battery, battery tray, air intake assembly and splash shields.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #47
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you pull it out the top there are usually no stuck bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #48
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you pull it out the top there are usually no stuck bolts.
I am going out the top.

The first 2 problem bolts I've experienced are the lower bolts on the coil pack. The 8mm 6 point socket is pretty sloppy on the bolt head and I stopped before rounding them out. I'll have to get some bolt extractors before I continue with those. I'm favoring the coil packs from the recipient car over the donor.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #49
OldNuc

1998 SC2

2 of those bolts screw completely through the bell housing and are in the goo on the inside so rock them in and out so they do not twist off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #50
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
2 of those bolts screw completely through the bell housing and are in the goo on the inside so rock them in and out so they do not twist off.
Based on this picture (thx brokendown) I'm guessing it is the top bolts (long ones). Those came out with no issue; it's the lower bolts and specifically the bolt heads that is causing me issue. Rust has seemed to have compromised the integrity.

I'm thinking on getting these if they have them in the smaller size. 6 pc Bolt-Out Damaged Bolt Remover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolt_condition.jpg (70.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bolt out.JPG (45.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg bolt out close.JPG (47.2 KB, 1 views)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

Last edited by trottida; 08-04-2016 at 08:20 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #51
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Use a 6 point SAE socket. IIRC it is 1 of the top and bottom bolts that go all the way through. The reason you are seeing 2 longer bolts is those are holding the coil secondary wire clips. If no wire clips all 4 bolts are the same length. Most likely problem is corrroded aluminim from water intrusion.

TIP
Almost every bolt screwed into aluminum must have oil, antiseize, or loctite applied or it will seize to the aluminum. Internal engine bolts are an exception to this as they will have oil on them. This usually results in broken bolts or stripped threads. Whacking on the head initially before attempted removal helps as does applying force in both directions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #52
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Use a 6 point SAE socket. IIRC it is 1 of the top and bottom bolts that go all the way through. The reason you are seeing 2 longer bolts is those are holding the coil secondary wire clips. If no wire clips all 4 bolts are the same length. Most likely problem is corrroded aluminim from water intrusion.

TIP
Almost every bolt screwed into aluminum must have oil, antiseize, or loctite applied or it will seize to the aluminum. Internal engine bolts are an exception to this as they will have oil on them. This usually results in broken bolts or stripped threads. Whacking on the head initially before attempted removal helps as does applying force in both directions.
Got them out. As mentioned the 6 pt socket didn't work as someone before me must have rounded out the bolt heads. I used the MAXIMUM Impact Bolt Remover Set and carefully turned them out. The threads themselves were not rusted; I just couldn't get a grip on the bolt head.

I expected to have issues with the 3 bolts on the manifold to exhaust connection and they came out easier than expected. They looked nasty!

Thanks for the tip - you've given that one to me a few times over the years now. Always good to be reminded though!

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #53
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

A thought occurred to me as I'm removing the 99 engine and manual transmission.

When converting 99 auto to 99 manual, do I have to move the manual engine harness over or are they the same auto to manual? Just curious if the auto has any different connectors than the manual.

I read something about cutting the auto pcm connector and some wiring mods at the transmission but it's not clear.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #54
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Trim the PCM connector alignment tabs and mod the harness at the transmission.

For safety & make it more "stock" 5spd like, chop off the 30a fuse holder and run 14ga wires to a new-to-the-car CSS under the clutch pedal; with the fuse you won't need the clutch pedal to start the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #55
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If it is a 99 manual harness swap it if not then decide if you want a clutch depressed safety switch or not and I can tell you how to install the wiring for that. Just tie up the solenoid trans top connector and the multi-pin range switch connector out of your way. Jumper the 2 purple wires in the 2 wire connector.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #56
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
If it is a 99 manual harness swap it if not then decide if you want a clutch depressed safety switch or not and I can tell you how to install the wiring for that. Just tie up the solenoid trans top connector and the multi-pin range switch connector out of your way. Jumper the 2 purple wires in the 2 wire connector.
That first sentence is a bit cryptic. I think you are saying that I'll loose my clutch depressed safety switch if I use the automatic harness on the manual and there will be a couple connectors that will not be used.

Is is difficult to change the harness since both engines and transmissions are coming out anyways? Actually, I think LowSaturn mentions removing the harness attached to the engine in one of his reference documents. Perhaps that would be the best option for the MT since engine and trans are coming out together.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

Last edited by trottida; 08-18-2016 at 11:24 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #57
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

When I pulled the harness with an engine, the CSS wires didn't come with it. IMO pulling the harness's with the engine is easier than unplugging every darn thing on the engine, but depending on how the CSS is routed it might be easier to add it to the auto harness.

I never bothered with adding the CSS, was just easier to put the fuse in & go. 5x 5spd swaps later and I still say it's the only way to fix an automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #58
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
That first sentence is a bit cryptic. I think you are saying that I'll loose my clutch depressed safety switch if I use the automatic harness on the manual and there will be a couple connectors that will not be used.
Yes, that is about the size of it.

Is is difficult to change the harness since both engines and transmissions are coming out anyways? Actually, I think LowSaturn mentions removing the harness attached to the engine in one of his reference documents. Perhaps that would be the best option for the MT since engine and trans are coming out together.
The manual harness MUST be a 99 vintage harness and then it swaps. Harnesses are generally year specific. You will still have the clutch switch problem to sort out either way. It is not a large problem.
Pull harness with engine, you will be happier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #59
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Pull harness with engine, you will be happier.
In this case both recipient and donor SL2 are 99 model year and optioned the same. In the case of the donor I bought the complete car in running condition (but frame has rust issues).

Yes, please give me the instructions to deal with the CSS; I'll move the complete harness with the engine.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #60
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Getting back to this today and working under the car to remove the starter and alternator.

Starter went fine but I'm having an issue getting the alternator out. I've removed all connections and the top and lower bolt & nut and from what I've seen in videos it should just drop out. I can't get it to move more than a 1/4 inch and it is as if the long bottom bolt is still there. I can't figure out what is holding it in.

There looks to be a bushing on the bolt head side; do you have to pry it out first before it will drop? Any insight that would help would be appreciated.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!