SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #21
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: and so it begins....

As he said, the engine will be fine, it is the minor attachments. If you are keeping the 99 car then you will have to deal with a returnless fuel system so use the 99 intake and fuel rail. You can roll the dice and use the 96 manual PCM and as long as both cars have the same options, http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ions/cat/12963 , Select All Options is the complete list. If the 96 PCM works then you are rid of the AIR system if fitted. The exhaust has to fit the manifold. You need to know what the smog nazis look at as the PCM will report VIN and year etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #22
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
As he said, the engine will be fine, it is the minor attachments. If you are keeping the 99 car then you will have to deal with a returnless fuel system so use the 99 intake and fuel rail. You can roll the dice and use the 96 manual PCM and as long as both cars have the same options, http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ions/cat/12963 , Select All Options is the complete list. If the 96 PCM works then you are rid of the AIR system if fitted. The exhaust has to fit the manifold. You need to know what the smog nazis look at as the PCM will report VIN and year etc.
The 96 and the 99 have all the same options with the exception of the transmission.

There is no air system in the 99.

I'm still leaning on finding a junk yard 99 motor and fixing both up. The priority being the 99. I think I'm going to start pulling the motor and if that goes well I'll figure it out from there.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #23
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Motor and manual trans come out together but the motor and auto come out separately. Without a car hoist it is easier to take them out the top.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #24
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Motor and manual trans come out together but the motor and auto come out separately. Without a car hoist it is easier to take them out the top.
That's good information to know. I would have tried attempted removing the motor and AT out together but then again I haven't started reading up on it as of yet as I haven't had much time.

Is there much difference for an auto DOHC over a manual SOHC as documented by Different Racing's site?

Is there a write up that is more suitable?

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #25
OldNuc

1998 SC2

They all come out the same way. Low Saturn has posted several detailed lists and Richpin has a video on pulling the engine out of an automatic car.

You need a good shop crane-engine hoist and a load leveler that actually works when there is a load on it. Put the wheels back on the car and keep all 4 on the ground. Do not roll the car any more as necessary as the wheel bearings are now unloaded and can separate. The car will roll easier than the engine hoist. A level concrete surface is required. Install all manual transmission specific parts while the engine and trans are out of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #26
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

So I've been looking for a 99 engine and I've come across 2 at a reasonable price. I've had them send me the VIS stamped on the engine for verification and in both cases they have come up as a 98 model. Would a 99 model manufactured in 98 come out of the factory with a 98 code or a 99 code? Strange the both from separate sellers would be advertised as a 99.

I'm decoding them using this post then inserting the missing information from the VIN as "1G8ZG127" plus the VIS into this on-line tool.

The 2 VIS that I have been given in the form of photos are 8WZ126368 and 8WZ151624. Am I doing this correct? I guess I should pull the code of the bad engine and check as it was a early 99 as well.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #27
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I checked the 99 and it was manufactured in 05/99 and therefore is stamped with an X. Anybody have a 99 that was manufactured in 98 that can check if it was stamped with a W or an X (second digit)?

My 2001 was manufactured 11/00 and it is stamped with a 1 indicating 2001. Although, I found something strange, the engine is stamped with 81Z269493 and the corresponding digits on my VIN are 71Z269493. 8 indicates DOHC but my engine is definitely an SOHC. Take a look at the photo yourself. This was a screen shot of a video taken from my phone. I'm puzzled at this one.

The previous owner of the 2001 told me it had an engine change before he bought it so I was surprised to find matching numbers on the engine, transmission and VIN. He even gave me a mileage on the replacement engine that is about 130K less than the odometer. I guess he was informed wrong, maybe it was a rebuild at around 130K.

Here's the post for decoding VIN numbers again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160518_074116.jpg (53.8 KB, 13 views)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

Last edited by trottida; 05-18-2016 at 08:01 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #28
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Those letters/numbers are for MODEL year and NOT calendar year. What that means is a 99 block has an X in the year position. All that being said the 98 Production and newer are all identical except for the number. The number is showing you which Model year the block was installed in. The major difference is the diameter of the tensioner clearance hole in the back of the recess. Be real careful to not buy a block that has ben overheated as that one is JUNK as the liners will fall out when it is hot tanked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #29
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Those letters/numbers are for MODEL year and NOT calendar year. What that means is a 99 block has an X in the year position. All that being said the 98 Production and newer are all identical except for the number. The number is showing you which Model year the block was installed in. The major difference is the diameter of the tensioner clearance hole in the back of the recess. Be real careful to not buy a block that has ben overheated as that one is JUNK as the liners will fall out when it is hot tanked.
Thank for clarifying the coding for me.

When I say "looking for an engine" I'm referring to a complete assembly that was removed from a running donor car. I'm not looking to crack it open - I want the block, header, valve cover, etc.... completely assembled that I can just drop in. I know there is a bit of risk because taking the sellers word that it was a decent running motor. Attempting this is a big stretch for me.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #30
OldNuc

1998 SC2

They can be had but are usually not cheap. Keep in mind that the 99 model year is a transition year along with the 2000 model year for emissions across the US and Canada. There are multiple exhaust manifolds and if you happen to have one that fits your headpipe use it. A true 99 engine will have an X as that is a unique identifier for model year and serial number and is directly derived from the VIN. If you figure out how to get one across the border finding one will be much easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #31
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Wolfman wrote this in the Swap Guide...
"(Oh, and not all DOHC 99's resemble the 00' and up engines with the "new" heads. There are MANY, MANY early 99' DOHC that are the same as the 95'-98's.)"
My build date was 05/99 and it does not have air injection. How does that relate to my application?

Here's my VIN if anybody has the means to give me a serial number sequence that is compatible.

1G8ZK5274XZ348165

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #32
OldNuc

1998 SC2

As it happens that is an unfortunate misconception that was a consequence of the 98 model being sold well into the 99 model year as the 99 engine was not done yet. These cars have a 98 VIN. I am willing to bet a few were even titled as a 99 model with the 98 VIN on the title. I have never seen on but I have sen that incorrect title on other cars. I suspect the dealers were responsible for this story. The parts book is crystal clear on this matter.

You have a 99 VIN. Air injection is an option depending on local emissions rules. By calendar year all US cars have air injection starting as of 1/1/00 build dates.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #33
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Interesting article regarding the 99 engine modifications here ....

http://www.adandp.media/articles/und...he-1999-saturn

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #34
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Still seeking out a suitable motor for the 99 that doesn't come with a car attached! I think my wife would divorce me if I brought home a 3rd car for this project.

I came to a realization the other day that is motivating me further to get this car running. The build date is May 1999 which is also my daughter's birth month and year! How cool is that!

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #35
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Hot damn! I think I may have found an engine!

So, is it feasible to split the engine from the transmission without disconnecting anything else from the auto transmission (left axle, upper and lower trans mount, shift cables, etc...) and lift it out?

Also, will an engine fit in the trunk or back seat of my SL1? I have a truck but would save on gas if I took the Saturn. It's a 4 hour round trip to pick it up.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #36
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, engine only out the top and leave auto in car. Have to support the auto though and take the lower dogbone mount off of engine and crank pulley so it will move right far enough to get the flex plate bolts out. Se this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwoOXEX1jrE & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta3e1c_KZL0

Engine fits in back seat, or trunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #37
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Great project, it's very motivating! My project is to first remove the dying 4 speed auto from my SL1 and manual swap it with an MP3.
Stage 2 is to add a DOHC.

I really like that silver car you picked up, good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #38
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLfun View Post
Great project, it's very motivating! My project is to first remove the dying 4 speed auto from my SL1 and manual swap it with an MP3.
Stage 2 is to add a DOHC.

I really like that silver car you picked up, good luck!
Adding the DOHC into your SL1; is your plan just to swap the head to make it a DOHC or replace the entire motor?

I had some disappointment yesterday with the 99. The yard that had the motor did an assessment on it (at my request) and the technician determined it had a knock in the bottom end. So I'm still looking.

I'm getting increased thoughts about using the block from SLCraig's 96.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #39
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Block swap works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #40
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

So would it be more desirable to ....
  1. use a 2000 SL1 bottom end (block and internals) with 92K mi with the original 99 DOHC head.

or

2. use a 1998 SL2 bottom end with 151K mi with the original 99 DOHC head

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!