Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 09-26-2020, 11:14 PM   #1
slantflat
slantflat is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
1996 SW2
Default 08 Aura shifter

Hi everyone.

I've had an 08 Aura for about a year and a half. Car has 66000 miles. It had 48000 miles when I got it, and the first owner was my Mother. It's been a very good car for us.

The other day when parking the shifter would go into park but the car still went forward. I selected reverse, the car went into reverse, and there it stayed. The shifter doesn't seem to be connected to anything. Predictably, the car won't start now, because it thinks it's in reverse.

After searching the internet, and finding this site, I saw there was a recall on the shifter cable. That was many years ago. Does anyone know if the recall is still valid, presuming my car was built in the range that was recalled, or am I left to do this repair myself. I could have AAA hook it into the local "Saturn" place (Buick and GMC dealer) if they would fix it. Otherwise I'll be on my back trying to figure it out.

Also, if anyone has any tips for fixing this, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks everyone.
MIKE
96 SW2
08 Aura 3.5
slantflat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 08 Aura shifter

Do you know if the recall work was previously performed?
I would call GM and quote recall #14152 and Bulletin No:12106D Dated: February 2015. They may do something for you. I've read some things about the cable failing after the recall was done and the GM dealer extending the warranty and replacing the parts again.

The bulletin can be viewed here:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...2V460-4579.pdf

There could be a different issue where the bushing at the transmission end if the shifter cable may be worn out.
This video is a G6 but same thing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH8Z8mAgAs4

This video shows a replacement bushing installation...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gcA9LSPNnU
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
slantflat

2008 AURA XE
1996 SW2

Thanks I, got to do some research finally and found out the recall had been taken care of, as well as a brake light recall I had no idea about. This was in 2014, but I asked my Mom and she didn't remember. So this one's on me.

What's funny, or not, the repair takes place from above. The cable runs to the actual shifter mechanism and connects with a grommet. I got the repair kit from the auto parts store and two days later have yet to make the repair. There is no room for tools and hands together thanks to coolant hoses that come to a "T" right above it. I will try for a third day tomorrow.

The grommet is not flexible at all, and not tapered near enough for the end of the cable to slip over it. Add that to the no room bit and I've probably got 5 or 6 hours into this. The recall bulletin I think says an hour and 15 minutes. Ya right.
MIKE
96 SW2
08 Aura 3.5
Old 10-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
slantflat

2008 AURA XE
1996 SW2

Has no one ever attempted this repair before? There's 262 views to the thread and one reply? I guess the internet doesn't reach as far as I thought.
MIKE
96 SW2
08 Aura 3.5
Old 10-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I took another look around the internet and found this. G6 but likely the same.
Looks like he pulled the grommet and cable inside the car with a rope attached. Then pulled the new cable out through the firewall using the rope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWOw2_AiLUQ
Old 10-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #6
slantflat

2008 AURA XE
1996 SW2

Ah I don't need the whole cable, just the grommet that goes in the end. Here is a very unhelpful video that shows exactly what I need. It's unhelpful because he's sawed off the end of the cable and is working away from the car.
https://youtu.be/1gcA9LSPNnU
MIKE
96 SW2
08 Aura 3.5
Old 10-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantflat View Post
Ah I don't need the whole cable, just the grommet that goes in the end. Here is a very unhelpful video that shows exactly what I need. It's unhelpful because he's sawed off the end of the cable and is working away from the car.
https://youtu.be/1gcA9LSPNnU
That's the same video I posted before. The other video I posted described how to install the grommet in the cable on the car. The coolant hoses that come to a Tee have to be removed to gain reasonable access. You don't lose a lot of coolant because the Tee is above the engine.
Looks like it should be fairly easy if you buy grommet kit shown in the video.
https://www.amazon.com/BushingFix-Bu...08+Saturn+Aura
Old 10-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #8
slantflat

2008 AURA XE
1996 SW2

hehe You're right, I just saw that. Actually the video that was after that one, the guy that fixed it with the bottle cap was more helpful. I did take the coolant hoses off, it gave a little more room but not much. Obviously not made to be worked on [by the owner].

Thanks I .
MIKE
96 SW2
08 Aura 3.5
Old 10-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
slantflat

2008 AURA XE
1996 SW2

Okay my shift cable is fixed. I ordered the bushing kit from Bushing Fix, the people in the one video above.

The bushing in the kit was way more flexible than the one from the auto parts store, and a little more tapered at the top. I was able to snap it into place with my fingers, it literally took two seconds. Snapped it onto the pin and it's safe and secure. I was amazed.

I don't get anything from the Bushing Fix people, but I'd recommend this kit for the Aura, G6, Malibu, probably Holden Commodore, whatever else is the same car. The kit was 30 bucks shipped, well worth it after all the grief the Dorman kit gave me.

Glad this is done...
MIKE
96 SW2
08 Aura 3.5