SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 07-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
amartin003
amartin003 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default The Waiting Is The Hardest Part!

Hello, new user and first time poster here!

Just bought my Astra XR 5dr a few days ago, picking it up tomorrow!!! From what I've read here and elsewhere, and from the test drive, I think I'm going to love it! Can't wait to get it! At least I didn't have to wait months like some people did. That would have been brutal...

Had an SC2 from '01-'05 and it held up great. But the Astra seems to be in a different league. Even the salesman at the dealership admitted the older cars were toasters!

BTW, still have not seen very many Astra's on the road in my area. But I guess they're selling - the dealer told me mine was the last Black Sapphire at the lot (he had 4 a couple weeks ago.) Not sure if that meets GM's expectations, though.
2008 Astra XR
amartin003 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Soulblighter
Soulblighter will become famous soon enough

Default Re: The Waiting Is The Hardest Part!

welcome! what options did you get on the 5 dr? is it a manual? i am sure you will enjoy the ride when you get it! also, the astras come with some yellow goo (i assume its some kind of grease) on the underside of the car. Dont worry about it It seems they put it on for some kind of protection. It is not a leak!
Soulblighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
amartin003

2008 Astra XR

I went with the Black Sapphire XR, with the sport package and premium package. And the dealer is having the windows tinted (for an extra fee) since I think tinted windows look great with a dark color car.

I had to go with auto since the wife is more comfortable with it for when she's driving

Thanks for the heads up on the grease!

I'm counting the hours till I can pick it up....
2008 Astra XR
Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
ruckbogers
ruckbogers is on a distinguished road

Well, Hello there neighbour (Iím in Mississauga). What can I tell ya, youíre going to LOVE this car. I too owned an SC2 prior. I got a Black Sapphire stick, XR 3dr. Had it for 6 months now and have >8KM on it. And I *still* look for excuses to go out for a drive.

I still havenít seen any Astrasí on the road yet though. Hey, maybe youíll be the first if youíre out this way. While pumping gas, another patron asked me how I liked the car. I think I took up too much of their time praising the car.

Any words of advice to pass down? Well, the resume on the cruise doesnít always work as it should. Itís not a showstopper, and you are still able to use it 100% for setting, cruising, (de)accelerating. Since the car is heavily computerized, I suspect a flash update will resolve it at a later date.

Waiting for the 800km break-in period to run past seemed to take forever before I could ĎLetís see what this baby can doí.

Iím 6í and was initially worried that I might not have enough legroom compared to my SC2. Relax, youíll have a more than your SC2 did, and with the telescopic steering wheel and seat adjustments, it blows away the SC2 for comfort.

True, the DIC is not intuitive when initially exposed to it, but stick with it. Iím flying around the menus and buttons now. Itís great if you have passengers who like to commander MY radio for their own personal enjoyment. Now theyíre afraid to touch it.

I love the instantaneous L/100km feedback; you can see what driving conditions are favourable for great fuel consumption. The downside now is I hate red lights. Iíll be cruising along getting 5L/100km then hit a red. Aargh! Light turns green and it shoots up to >20L/100km. Yikes.

Let us know how you like it. Have fun!
ruckbogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Sirraven
Sirraven is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Your wait is nothing. It has been work every second of my about 5 month wait. Once you get in it and start driving you will be glad for any waiting you have done.
08 Saturn Astra
5dr XR Twilight Blue
-Manual Transmission
-Advanced Audio Pkg
-Sport Handling Pkg
-Dual Panel Sunroof
Sirraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
amartin003

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckbogers View Post
Well, Hello there neighbour (Iím in Mississauga).
I took a drive down to Mississauga, but didn't see you!

I love it, sooo fun to drive! And still haven't seen another one on the road yet! I'm getting the hang of the DIC now, love all the info it gives you!
2008 Astra XR
Old 07-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
newastra
newastra is on a distinguished road

Mine gets picked up tomorrow. There's a Silver Sand 5-door and black 3-door in my neighborhood so far, and my neighbor is going with me tomorrow to test drive one himself while I sign my papers. We're going to have to set up a GTA Astra club if this keeps up.
newastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

This is no post. Nevermind what might have stood here, if indeed anything did.
2007 OPEL Astra Diesel
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote