SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
abanerus
abanerus has a spectacular aura aboutabanerus has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default 2002 LW200 hatch rattle on Drv side

The hatch on my 2002 LW200 rattles on the Drv side. Interchanged the gas struts from Psg to Drv side & adjusted the rubber bungs. Feels like rear windshield against the body or some metal object moving inside the door when I thump the hatch on the Drv side beside the windshield.

Will spray some silicone on the hinges & lock as well as tighten the jack, spare & other stuff inside. Also tape the hardware balls that snap into the struts.

Any suggestions welcome, please help this noise is annoying!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abanerus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abanerus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abanerus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
abanerus

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Re: 2002 LW200 hatch rattle on Drv side

Also tightened the hardware mating with the gas struts but that didn't help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help abanerus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The gas struts are for supporting the door in the open position as well as load support when opening/closing the hatch otherwise you feel the full weight of the hatch. Its provides no noise isolation. A noisy hatch in closed position would suggest worn out weather stripping, damage to the car frame and/or hatch, loose or misadjusted latch. I would look closely at worn out weatherstripping being thinner and allowing hatch rattling. An easy way to check for worn out weatherstripping - some pieces of hard foam stuffed into the lower hatch area while closing the hatch to have foam sandwiched between hatch and car frame. If the rattling goes away then weatherstripping needs replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
abanerus

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Thanks for the advice, I checked the rattle also happens with the hatch open. So the weatherstripping, rubber bungs & the lock may be unlikely.

Windshield & hinge are more likely but it sounds like a loaded spring type rattle. Freezing outside today but will get back to it Sat morning & update.

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
abanerus

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I tried a little today but couldn't reproduce the vibration after pressing the hatch hard against the hinge. Also noticed little more play on Drv side hinge than Psgr side possibly due to the rubber bungs not being adjusted perfectly until I got the car.

Tightened the base bolts on the hinge but no visible change. Will confirm Sat morning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
abanerus

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Tightened all screws & nuts on rear speaker enclosure & secured spare, jack & handle properly. Lubed on all hinges, locks & levers in the whole car.

There are a couple of bunches of wires inside rubber pipes passing from the body to the trunk door by the hinges. Tugging the Drv side wire causes a light rattle. Detached the rubber pipe & the taped harness is pretty hard causing some minimal residual rattle less than 5% from before.

Suspect there could be a loose or detached clip lying inside contributing to this. Will open adjoining trim armed with a borrowed magnetic puller once the weather improves since I don't have a garage.

I think dry rot is a problem since its from a senior FL couple (Yes I flew in from NJ & drove back :-). I have already changed both rear (upper & lower) knuckle bushings & outer tie rods as well as a few dry rotted plastic & rubber trim parts. This time during oil change I will spray tire shine on all rubber bushes under the car.

95% of the rattle is gone but will keep you posted on the next phase & thanks for the guidance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
abanerus

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Okay back to fix the residual rattle from the wiring harness entering the trunk door near Drv side hinge. Removed carpet trim from inside of hatch door & found the taped wires inside form a Y-split with the slack rattling inside. Pulled up to cut the slack & tied it creatively with zip tie.

Put back the trim & the rattle is 100% gone!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!