SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
claybear
claybear is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Brake Line Diagram?

Hi all

I'm making new brake lines for my 2002 LW200 from the firewall back by copying the originals as closely as I can. Unfortunately, I didn't mark which line hooked up to each of the lines on the firewall before I took them out. I may be able to figure it out by finding another L series car and comparing or by tracing from the master cylinder through the ABS box to the firewall connection. But, if anyone has a diagram or could take a picture of the lines at the firewall and note which one goes to the driver rear and which one goes to the passenger rear, I could save some time. Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to claybear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help claybear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
claybear is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
GregS&L
GregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2
Default Re: Brake Line Diagram?

The attached from the FSM may assist you. You may need to blow it up a bit to see the individual lines better.

This past summer one brake line going to the rear brakes sprung a pinhole leak. It was heavily rusted around the middle part of the car.

My friend who manages a busy indi repair shop (with 3 lifts) replaced both rear brake lines for me. He had problems duplicating the long line going to the driver side rear brake. That line was originally routed over the fuel tank. He said he could not reach the original brake line clamps without dropping the tank, so he routed the new line around the fuel tank. You could possibly run into this issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf L Series Brake Lines.pdf (32.7 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GregS&L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GregS&L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GregS&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
claybear

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Thanks Greg.

The reason I am replacing the lines is that the fuel pump sprung a leak and I had to drop the tank. When I saw the brake lines I knew I had to replace them and when I started to remove them I knew that I had made the right decision. I've been bending up the long lines tonight. Kind of fun but tricky, as you might imagine. Thanks for the diagram.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help claybear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
MerrittK54
MerrittK54 will become famous soon enough

2009 VUE 2.4L
2009 AURA XR

Claybear, I'm doing the same thing on my 2002 L200. Nearly had an accident yesterday when one of my brake lines ruptured during hard braking. Fortunately I was able to stop. but had no braking power after that. A friend of my hauled it home for me.

Now I have both rear brake lines removed from the car. Both were severely corroded. Surprised they lasted this long. I'm going to replace them with Nicopp. Hopefully, Advance Auto has new fittings as well. I will need to bypass the old line going to around the fuel tank to the LH rear brake as GregS&L pointed out. I should be able to route the RH brake line nearly the same as the original.

I've never done this before, so I'm taking my time and thinking things through. I'll let you know how it turns out.

-Merrittk54

2009 Aura XR 2.4L (Wife's)
2009 Vue XE 2.4L(Mine)
2002 L200 (Daughter's)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MerrittK54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MerrittK54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MerrittK54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #5
MerrittK54
MerrittK54 will become famous soon enough

2009 VUE 2.4L
2009 AURA XR

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I promised an update. I was able to remove (read that "tear out") the old rear brake lines in my L200. Kept 3 of the 4 end fittings, the 4th was corroded beyond use. Made new brake lines out of Nicopp. Although very strenuous, not really too bad. I bled the rear brakes with a pressure bleeder and now I have solid pedal with no leaks. As a precaution, I'm going to bleed the front brakes.

Claybear, I hope your project is going well. I've made a number of repairs over the years, but I've never made my own brake lines. Gotta keep this car going for a little while longer!

2009 Aura XR 2.4L (Wife's)
2009 Vue XE 2.4L(Mine)
2002 L200 (Daughter's)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MerrittK54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MerrittK54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MerrittK54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
claybear

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I have all the lines bent up and have flared and installed the two that are on the rear trailing arms. All went smoothly so far. I'm still trying to figure out which connector on the firewall goes to the driver side rear by trying to find an port output diagram of the ABS module. Without seeing the internals I just can't tell. I will post pictures as I get the lines in and also when I figure out the correct hookups. I knew I was in too much of a rush when removing them . . .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybear View Post
I have all the lines bent up and have flared and installed the two that are on the rear trailing arms. All went smoothly so far. I'm still trying to figure out which connector on the firewall goes to the driver side rear by trying to find an port output diagram of the ABS module. Without seeing the internals I just can't tell. I will post pictures as I get the lines in and also when I figure out the correct hookups. I knew I was in too much of a rush when removing them . . .
If you look at your abs module you will se RR and LR. I believe that stands for right rear and left rear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:50 AM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurvives View Post
If you look at your abs module you will se RR and LR. I believe that stands for right rear and left rear.
You can be confident, soulsurvives! You've correctly identified what RR and LR stand for here. I saw this when working for my father at his service station and in various auto parts catalogs over the years.

296,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #9
claybear

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Thank you so much. I should have cleaned off my module and looked a bit harder. Plan on installing the lines tonight.

I've attached a picture of the tools I used for bending the lines and a couple of the lines themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2715.jpg (129.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2716.jpg (141.9 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #10
claybear

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Hey all, need a little help again. Connecting the rear ABS sensors and realized that once again I forgot to note which side goes to the driver's side. Need to see a wiring diagram with wire colors to get it correct. One pair is Red and Black and the other is White and Brown. Anyone have a schematic/diagram?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!