SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
Nati_Mike
Nati_Mike is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 SL2 no dash lights / wonít start

Hello, I have a strange problem and canít figure it out or find a post that matches it. I went to start it and it seemed to have a dead battery. I replaced the battery, it drove fine for a month or so. It again displayed the same problem which appeared to be a dead battery. I jumped it, no luck. Disconnected the battery for 5 mins and it started fine. Again ran fine for a few weeks. Then same problem, battery disconnect worked for first start up. The next day same problem. I did see the security and service engine soon yellow lights flash quickly and briefly. They didnít appear to be in sync or a code. The battery is good, starter good, alternator good. Car has 102k on it, bone stock original owner, commuter car. I suspect security system but have no real evidence. Please help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nati_Mike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nati_Mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nati_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 SL2 no dash lights / wonít start

Saturns from model years 2000 and up have Passlock or PassKey. Yours uses Passlock - injectors are disabled during a theft attempt without the ignition key. Starting isn't disabled at all so you're describing a non security issue.

With descriptions given, you might try the easy things first; battery, battery cables, their connections, two main grounds - chassis and engine block. Battery power connects to the engine fuse box(+), starter(+), chassis(-) and engine block(-). Examine both battery cable for severe corrosion, evidence of powdery deposits on both battery terminals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:06 AM   #3
Nati_Mike
Nati_Mike is on a distinguished road

I've checked most of the obvious stuff. Tried doing the 3 ten minute security resets. Did the first couple steps. When I came back to check on it, had the service engine soon and security lights on. Also the relay for the fuel pump was making a click, click, clicking noise. I pulled the relay thinking it was bad but it's good. Attempted a OBDII scan, wouldn't connect insufficient power. I never finished the security reset. I will attempt that tomorrow. Basically I'm trying my best to isolate the issue. The car was purchased new by my family. Nothing has been changed except the battery, when needed. No stereo, auto start ect...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nati_Mike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nati_Mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nati_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I think you're confusing security with a power problem. No lights, no starting points to a power problem. A new battery is useless if it isn't connected electrically. Did you check for loose battery connections? Corrosion on connections? Loose grounds? Security or any electrical functions may not work if battery and cable connections aren't secure. Its the battery fully charged? If not or in doubt, recharge it for a few hours or overnight. Even a battery boost won't work if connections aren't secure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Side post batteries are notorious for connection problems...

If not starting ,-- have a helper get in car and turn key to the start position.

Try rotating cable ends on battery CLOCKWISE. If it starts, whichever cable you were turning when it cranked - is the problem...

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote