SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 02:01 AM   #1
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
Default I knew about auto reverse slam....

....but, since my SW2 is a 5 spd I never really experienced it, before tonight.

I was coming out of a restaurant and, parked a few spaces away from me was a '98 (I think) SC2. The driver got it and put it in reverse SLAM! then after backing out put it in drive SLAM! That would drive me crazy.

It also, never occurred to me that some people don't take care of their Saturns like I do and like I think most folks, here, do. The engine in that thing sounded like a clothes dryer full of bolts rattling around (timing chain I'm guessing).

Have you hugged your Saturn tonight? lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: I knew about auto reverse slam....

My '99 is a lot nicer than the '98. Still impressive that the '98 could be so obviously neglected but still be a viable car.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

That's sad.

probably someone who doesn't know/care and took it to a shop, who quoted them several grand to replace the transmission. So they just keep driving it and will do so until it dies and ends up in the junkyard.

Several years back, some guy posted about his Saturn. Called it a POS, worst car ever. So he tried to kill it, stopped adding oil to the engine, stopped maintaining it, and started seriously beating on it . . . redlining, two-tracking, driving through mud, drifting, etc.

Started getting angry because after months of abuse, it kept starting and running. Then it turned into a grudging respect for the car, and finally to real admiration and saying he understood why people took care of hte cars. I don't recall how it ended or if he ever finished his story.

I searched for the story a while back on here but was unable to find it.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

The engine can take a pretty good amount of abuse before blowing up. As long as the owner keeps adding oil (even junk oil) it will keep running for a long while. If GM had fixed the ring design to prevent oil burn off during it's lifetime, it would have been as reliable as any 90's Toyota engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote