SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Doug427
Doug427 is on a distinguished road

Default New owner question - miss at idle, intermittent "pop" in exhaust

I appreciate the opportunity to participate in the forum and learn from long time owners. Just bought a first car for my stepson. It's a 2002 SL1 with a 1.9L SOHC, standard transmission. It has 164,000 miles on it, and overall it's in very good clean condition. I've done a few things to it, we did an overall clean up, replaced the dome light and the driver side electric door lock switch needed to be replaced.

It runs really well, with one exception. At idle, it seems to idle rough with a random, intermittent miss. There's a randomly spaced popping sound in the exhaust. I have read about the intake gasket issue, but in the case of this car, there is no high idle speed. The idle speed is just fine. All the intake gasket issues I have read about include a raised idle speed symptom. This car doesn't have that. It's just that random popping sound in the exhaust accompanying the fairly rough idle.

There is no code stored, I've checked that already. I have cleaned the throttle body and changed the plugs. Neither solved the problem. Any of you long time owner experts have any ideas on this? Is this a common problem?

Thanks for the help and input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug427's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug427 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
tizan
tizan is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New owner question - miss at idle, intermittent "pop" in exhaust

I have been using a fuel system cleaner on one full tank of gas ..before oil change (i have used gumout with PEA but i suspect other brands will work too)

That seems to reduce the rough idling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tizan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tizan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

My car did not have high idle, but it still needed a new intake manifold gasket. Near the end, before I replaced the intake manifold gasket, the rough idle sounded really loud and reflected off the sides of cars next to me. I once thought, "That car needs a tune up, too," and then realized that it was the sound of my car reflecting off the other car. There was also a significantly reduced miles per gallon. I now get about 24-25 mpg on average with a mix of highway and residential road driving. I wonder if any Saturn SL1 or SL2 owner has NOT found a wrinkle near the cylinder 1 portion of their intake manifold gasket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Bottle of fuel cleaner, like Techron, wouldn't hurt.

How old are the spark plug wires? I got similar symptoms with old wires on my minivan (100k platinum plug changes). I usually change wires enough on the Saturn that it has not been a problem (copper plugs, more changes).

Make sure the 1 & 4 run parallel to each other for most of their length. There should be a clip or two to hold them in place.

Ditto with 2 &3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sparks.jpg (33.0 KB, 3 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Doug427, when discussing engine rpm, what's your idle at cold engine startup. Warm engine rpm?

A cold engine startup will always have a high idle around 1200-1500 rpm. As soon as the engine warms up, the high idle automatically drops lower until a warm engine idle shows around 650-850 rpm.

Cold engine startup would be coolant temps at ambient temps. Warm engine, coolant temps at regulated thermostat setting, around 195F. A reader is more definitive for displaying coolant temps than the temperature gauge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote