SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
Doug427
Doug427 is on a distinguished road

Default New owner, what common issues and preventative maintenance do I need to do - 2002 SL1

Just bought a new to us 2002 SL1 - standard trans, 1.9L SOHC engine. Overall good shape, it runs good except for a rough idle and popping in the exhaust that I posted about in a separate thread looking for help and ideas.

I've tried to do a bit of searching to see what common issues these cars have that I can address in advance.

I've read about the plastic vs. brass tipped temp probe. Right now the temp shows exactly where I have read it should read, about 2 needle widths left of vertical. Should I change the probe (or whatever acronym it's called) anyway?

I have had to change the drivers side electric door lock switch, which seems to be a common issue. The reverse lights don't work, I have a switch on the way.

Anything else I should be looking at that regularly fails on the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug427's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug427 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: New owner, what common issues and preventative maintenance do I need to do - 2002

Hey Doug427,
Welcome to the forums. This sticky is a good read:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177672

Sounds like you have been doing your research already. Beyond plugs might be worth wires and checking for corrosion under the coil packs. Along my SL2 journey I've also replaced the idle control valve. It used to get wonky on me and would stall.

Edit: I've had an uneven idle in other cars that was due to a worn throttle position sensor.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
Default Re: New owner, what common issues and preventative maintenance do I need to do - 2002

You might want to check for rust under the rear door sills.

You might want to check for rust on the driver's side brake line. Salt road spray accumulates on the driver's side brake line in the engine compartment and runs down the line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I've read about the plastic vs. brass tipped temp probe. Right now the temp shows exactly where I have read it should read, about 2 needle widths left of vertical. Should I change the probe (or whatever acronym it's called) anyway?
That's the ECTS. No need to change it since you are showing correct temp, and Saturn had changed the ECTS from plastic to brass tipped sometime late in the 2001 model year - so all 2002 S-series are OK there

Oil burning is the #1 thing. Your step son should check the oil (on a flat suface, cold engine) roughly every 250~350 miles at first to get an idea of how much it uses. Top it off immediately rather than letting it get a quart or half quart down. Each diamond mark on the dipstick is 3.2 oz. I'm adding about 6 oz a week right now.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote