SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Late GEN2 Alternator on an Early GEN2?

Can I used a 99 DOHC alternator on a 96 DOHC if I change the plug on the engine harness to match? Any issues or tricks I need to be aware of?

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Late GEN2 Alternator on an Early GEN2?

Nope, they swap with a connector shape change. Google how to wire the adapter so you get the wires in the correct spot. The adapter 130<->121 is a more or less standard part and costs about 15$ from rebuilders.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Found this adapter but I think I need the opposite as far as male female goes. Do you have a line on the other?

Harness for Alternator Conversion Delco CS130 CS121 to Denso

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

You'll have a hard time finding the full pigtail to go the other direction, all the re-builders will ask why you want to swap the crap alternator for the good one.

I believe they're mislabeled on AlternatorParts.com, says it's for the CS130D even though that's the good alternator while it's got the CS121 plug which is the bad alternator.

https://store.alternatorparts.com/c1...connector.aspx

I don't mean bad as to longevity, the case is smaller and less efficient...less output stock and less room for high output parts (150-250amp) and harder to rebuild due to less working space.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I'm not having much luck today with Google. Can't find the wiring schematics to change the harness plug from square to oval. Do the wire colours match up? Can anybody help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post

I don't mean bad as to longevity, the case is smaller and less efficient...less output stock and less room for high output parts (150-250amp) and harder to rebuild due to less working space.
I have one available from my parts car; I'm selling the 96 SL2 project car and the alternator is on its way out so I'm going to give the buyer the 99 SL2 alternator, the plug and instructions on how to convert.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

Last edited by trottida; 11-10-2018 at 10:12 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Look at the square regulator plug and the old CS130D alternator regulator on the side just below the pins you will see P,L,I,S See which wire is connected to what pin, usually S and I. Now look at the CS121 alternator in the same place. Match the proper wire to the correct letter. The only time you get into trouble is when it is a different regulator and you tell this wen 1 alternator has the PLIS regulator and the new one has a different letter or 2 in that series.

Google is just failing this morning...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

'97.5+:
pin color function
B brn/wht battery light
C brn VR turn on (key-on powered)

earlier:
pin color function
F brn VR turn on (key-on powered)
L brn/wht battery light

Should work color to color, but verify the functions are in the same places first. Easy way to burn out the VR is to mix those up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The issue is that the regulator is marked with slightly different lettering for what are identical functions.

The CS121 regulator should have identical pin markings but that different shape connector.

This is a CS130 series with a different regulator. https://imgur.com/WU3ht6x There are several different regulators ...

If the regulators mach it gets real easy. Most/all of the critical info is at this site: https://alternatorparts.com/

Last edited by OldNuc; 11-10-2018 at 10:47 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
'97.5+:
pin color function
B brn/wht battery light
C brn VR turn on (key-on powered)

earlier:
pin color function
F brn VR turn on (key-on powered)
L brn/wht battery light

Should work color to color, but verify the functions are in the same places first. Easy way to burn out the VR is to mix those up.
On the 99 alternator that seems to be the case. The brown/white wire in position B goes to pin L and the brown wire in position C goes to Pin F.

The 96 is still on the car so I'll have to investigate that later.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg connector.jpg (33.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Alternator.jpg (36.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg con and alt.jpg (72.1 KB, 9 views)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Found this adapter but I think I need the opposite as far as male female goes. Do you have a line on the other?

Harness for Alternator Conversion Delco CS130 CS121 to Denso
That is the wrong part. Will not work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Note the double letters on the B wire, I/F. These connect to the matching functions on the other alternator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!