SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 01:38 AM   #1
StrnWolf
StrnWolf is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1994 SL1
Default Fuel System Size Info

Today I found more harm by the crooked mechanic who worked on my car, they did not even secure the new fuel filter, which they forced on me, to the car. If I remember the studs are part of the car, if that is correct then what size and kind of nut do I need for it to secure the filter?

Also, is the fuel return line between engine and hard line just a regular rubber fuel hose? If so, what size and length would I need to replace it?

And last question, would a brand new fuel filter that had 4 gallons of high quality gas run through it, smell like gas if remove after those 4 gallons? Would it have any smell at all after the fuel is drained from it?

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2
12/2009-PRESENT (Soon to die) 1994 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StrnWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StrnWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StrnWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2018, 02:16 AM   #2
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: Fuel System Size Info

Fuel Filters come in two categories: in-line filters and sending unit filter socks.

In-Line Filters:
The in-line filter can be found in the fuel feed line under the vehicle and mounted on the driver's side of engine compartment fuel rail.
In-Tank Fuel Filters:
A woven plastic filter is located on the lower end of the fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank. This filter prevents dirt from entering the fuel line and also stops water, unless the filter becomes completely submerged in water. This filter is self-cleaning and normally requires no maintenance. Fuel stoppage at this point indicates that the fuel tank contains an abnormal amount of sediment or water; the tank should therefore be thoroughly cleaned

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:28 AM   #3
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Fuel Filter OEM Part #21007437 this probably ac delco
This car is gm and the gm part is recommend but not always economical .
The fuel line coming out of the fuel filter will probably be a fuel hose that u can pick up at any auto parts store . The fuel hose will connect the fuel filter with the fuel rail where there will be flare tube it meets . Auto parts should have what u need ask for fuel hose take your filter with you and find hose that fits the filter and u should be good there. Take a look at yours too see if u see rubber off the top and back of filter . If so that will be whats called fuel hose . you have to specify its fuel hose at auto parts cause these fuel hose specifically made for gas. I have yet to remove mine off my vehicle with 220k

Last edited by Packard; 11-10-2018 at 02:37 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:05 AM   #4
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

My bad, I have a 1995 SL2 which has the fuel filter near the engine mounted to the cars body by the drivers side front wheel well. Mine is not the model with the filter under the car.

I just found out that the mechanic who worked on my car, he charged me for a new fuel filter and to install the fuel filter. BUT, I found out the fuel filter in the car is the same one I installed. He actually bought a new filter, cut two holes into the plastic line, and gave it back to me and said it was my old. So that has just been confirmed.

But same question, what kind and size of nuts are needed to secure the filter to the car? When I replaced it, one nut was missing and I could not get the other nut all the way on.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help StrnWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2018, 03:27 AM   #5
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard View Post

Fuel Filters come in two categories: in-line filters and sending unit filter socks.

In-Line Filters:
The in-line filter can be found in the fuel feed line under the vehicle and mounted on the driver's side of engine compartment fuel rail.
In-Tank Fuel Filters:
A woven plastic filter is located on the lower end of the fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank. This filter prevents dirt from entering the fuel line and also stops water, unless the filter becomes completely submerged in water. This filter is self-cleaning and normally requires no maintenance. Fuel stoppage at this point indicates that the fuel tank contains an abnormal amount of sediment or water; the tank should therefore be thoroughly cleaned
That image shows my fuel filter for my 95 SL2, I found today that the fuel return line hose right at the bend next to the fuel input line, is loose. My questions are, is it just a regular rubber hose right there? Because on my engine it is and it was not pushed in all the way and there is no hose clamp either. I was able to easily push the hose further onto the pipe at the bend, and after all I have dealt with from the crooked mechanic, I need to know how that part of the fuel return line, between the engine and the lines on the body, is supposed to be when it is proper.

I have to go over my entire vehicle with a fine comb now and find all the harm this mechanic did.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The blue line is a low(er) pressure return line, the red line is the high pressure feed line. In pure stock form they're both pre-bent nylon lines, the HP one generally comes with the new filter but you can cheaper filters without it and hack it on. The return line should be okay with standard 50psi rubber line (designed more for carburetors), but when I tried using it on my '01 Silverado's return line it burst it within a couple miles so I had to use the freaking expensive 220psi stuff meant for fuel injection (S-Series use's less than 50psi...the truck use's a bit over 60...).
Attached Images
File Type: gif 42400543.gif (22.3 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote