SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006, 12:20 AM   #21
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: saturn transmission problem

A check of my user gallery (just click the little camera next to my avatar) will reveal a diagram of which bolts to remove (and which ones absolutely NOT TO!) to seperate the valve body from the top of the transaxle. A SEARCH of the board should reveal DIRECTIONS posted for another board member by myself as needed. (For free...LOL)

Found the thread! Just click >HERE<

and scroll down...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

Last edited by wolfman; 05-26-2006 at 12:25 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #22
4200db
4200db is on a distinguished road

DUDE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING CHECK YOUR FUSES UNDER THE HOOD FOR THE LINE PRESSURE SELENOID IT MIGHT NOT BE CRACKED MAKE SURE THE NUMBERS MATCH UP IF YOU HAVE THEM MIXED UP IT WILL SCREW UP THE WAY IT SOULD SHIFT AND IT WILL SLAM INTO GEARS TRUST ME IT FIXED MY PROBLEM AND I TOOK IT TO A SHOP AND THEY PULLED MY TRANNY OUT AND COULD NOT FIND THE PROBLEM SO I EVEN BOUGHT A NEW PCM OUCH IF I ONLY CHECKED THE FUSES GOOD LUCK

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 4200db's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 4200db reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
4200db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #23
hmm
hmm is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

I have a Saturn SC2. I have had some problems with mine as well. Its an automatic. when it goes to shift into second gear it shifts hard and sounds like the its going to come out the top of the hod. it also feels like its trying to hold you back when it does shift to second gear. I have changed the valve body in it twice and i have been told it might be my transmission. I have done some much work to it and still its doing it, what do you think it could be before i buy a transmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hmm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hmm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #24
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post
I have done some much work to it and still its doing it, what do you think it could be before i buy a transmission?
Welcome to Saturnfans!

Are you getting an SES light? If so, it would help to get the codes read. Common DTC is P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio. Since you have already done the VB, this would point to the famous Input Shaft Nut . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98659

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #25
hmm

2001 SC2

ok thanks, but what is the Input Shaft Nut? and where can I find it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hmm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hmm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #26
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
ok thanks, but what is the Input Shaft Nut? and where can I find it?
It's behind the End Cover on the Tranny. You'd be starting at Step 10 in this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98659
It's the 23mm nut indicated in this pic . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...0&d=1281563554

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #27
hmm

2001 SC2

If i have to get the piece, where would i be able to get it and how much? thanks so much for your help i'll have someone check it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hmm's Reputation
Old 08-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #28
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
If i have to get the piece, where would i be able to get it and how much? thanks so much for your help i'll have someone check it out.
These are the parts, less than $20, at any GM dealer:
Output Nut - SN21001679
Input Nut - SN21001680
Gasket - SN21001684

You need a thin-wall 23mm socket to get at the Input Shaft Nut.
To quote the FSM: "NOTICE: Use a new nut due to insufficient torque retention of old nut. Clean shaft threads with wire brush. When tightening and torquing this nut it must be done quickly. The thread locking material used on the new nut will cure in a short time resulting in incorrect torque."

Both Nuts need to torqued to 111 ft-lbs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #29
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I have had some problems with mine as well. Its an automatic. when it goes to shift into second gear it shifts hard and sounds like the its going to come out the top of the hod.
PS - I should have asked: Are you having any problems with Reverse?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #30
hmm

2001 SC2

Well the last time before we changed the valve body we did have trouble with all gears they shifted hard, and this time after changing the valve body we are having trouble with it going into second it feels like its trying to hold you back,but when it does goes into second gear it shifts hard (sounds like its going to pop out of the hod.) i hope this makes sense. thanks

Last edited by hmm; 08-22-2010 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: mistake

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hmm's Reputation
Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #31
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Well the last time before we changed the valve body we did have trouble with all gears they shifted hard, and this time after changing the valve body we are having trouble with it going into second it feels like its trying to hold you back,but when it does goes into second gear it shifts hard (sounds like its going to pop out of the hod.) i hope this makes sense. thanks
Well - a loose Nut usually affects Reverse and 2nd, so if you don't have any Delayed or Slamming into Reverse, you might have some other problem. How about an SES light - have you tried to get some codes read?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #32
hmm

2001 SC2

Well it has problem wanting to go to second then when it does go to second(automatic)it then like shifts hard/slams or jerkys i guess you can say. As far as the SES light I dont have that to come on. No lights come on except Coolant light then sometimes it goes away. some say that the transmission is sending metal shavings to the valve body, but i dont know have had the Valve body changed in it twice.But also was told it was the Torque Converter. thanks for advice hope you can help me figure it out. thanks again

Last edited by hmm; 08-22-2010 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: add to it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hmm's Reputation
Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #33
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Well it has problem wanting to go to second then when it does go to second(automatic)it then like shifts hard/slams or jerkys i guess you can say. As far as the SES light I dont have that to come on. No lights come on except Coolant light then sometimes it goes away. some say that the transmission is sending metal shavings to the valve body, but i dont know have had the Valve body changed in it twice.But also was told it was the Torque Converter. thanks for advice hope you can help me figure it out. thanks again
Has the tranny fluid and filter been changed lately?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #34
hmm

2001 SC2

Actually to be honest with you, the guy that worked on it the last time when he changed the valve body never changed the trans fluid or filter he said that it was fine and that it was clean, but i thought it would have to be changed any ways. so no it wasnt changed. i hope we can figure it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hmm's Reputation
Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #35
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Actually to be honest with you, the guy that worked on it the last time when he changed the valve body never changed the trans fluid or filter he said that it was fine and that it was clean, but i thought it would have to be changed any ways. so no it wasnt changed. i hope we can figure it out.
If you don't know when it was changed last, even if it looks clean on the dip stick, it might be worth draining the fluid to see if much metal comes out. I think it's very strange that you're not getting an SES light, considering the harsh shift into 2nd. I also don't think a Torque Converter problem would cause a problem with just one gear. And TC failures are not very common with these cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #36
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
If you don't know when it was changed last, even if it looks clean on the dip stick, it MUST be changed NOW.
It doesn't matter what color it is, how much metal is in it, whether it goes well with fava beans, if it has more than 30,000 miles on it, it's overdue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #37
hmm

2001 SC2

Thanks for the advice, i dont know the last time it was changed there is 92,000 miles and we changed 2 valve bodies with 6 months. the first time we took it to a shop so they may have changed it, i have no clue. but thanks i can try that first and pray that it works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hmm's Reputation
Old 08-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #38
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, i dont know the last time it was changed there is 92,000 miles and we changed 2 valve bodies with 6 months. the first time we took it to a shop so they may have changed it, i have no clue. but thanks i can try that first and pray that it works.
And it might be worth hooking up a code reader even if you don't have an SES light now - maybe there's some stored codes that might provide a clue.
Btw - did you ever say what year SC2 this is?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #39
hmm

2001 SC2

not sure but its a 2001 and its 1.9 with the D.O.H.C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hmm's Reputation
Old 08-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #40
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
not sure but its a 2001 and its 1.9 with the D.O.H.C
OK - that means it's OBDII and you might be able to retrieve some stored trouble codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!