SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
Default Tip for 1997 owners -- visual clue on fuel pump

A number of people here have posted about the factory-delivered defect in the fuel pump assembly where the check valve fails to maintain pressure (~50psi) in the system after switching off the ignition. This makes the car hard to restart later until the fuel system reprimes.

Other than replacing the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank -- a royal pain -- the accepted workaround practice is to switch the ignition to ON and then pause a few seconds and listen for the fuel pump and relay to switch OFF, signalling pressure is now back up in range.

If you want a visual cue, vs. an auditory one, you can turn the switch to ON, and then start cranking the starter when the fuel gauge needle snaps to attention with a reading.

It seems to me that the fuel gauge sending unit doesn't report readings until the pressure's up. Possibly a coincidence, but a helpful alternative to the audio cue when the car is full of noisy kids or you've got Beethoven's ninth/Nine Inch Nails blaring from the speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Tip for 1997 owners -- visual clue on fuel pump

The fuel guage has nothing to do with the fuel pump. Except they are both in the tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
sl22ls
sl22ls is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny95sl2 View Post
The fuel guage has nothing to do with the fuel pump. Except they are both in the tank.
My gauge is in my dash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl22ls's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl22ls reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl22ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

Waiting for the fuel gauge to come on is essentially giving you what you need - a few second pause. Like the OP said, this is a visual cue. I used to do the same thing with my 1997. Or, I would turn the key on and when the stereo came on I'd hit it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post
Waiting for the fuel gauge to come on is essentially giving you what you need - a few second pause. Like the OP said, this is a visual cue. I used to do the same thing with my 1997. Or, I would turn the key on and when the stereo came on I'd hit it.
Yep, the visual cue you need in case your hearing's impaired from Too Much Motörhead

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote