SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Gnfanatic
Gnfanatic has a spectacular aura aboutGnfanatic has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
Default No timing chain replacement in library??

Hey guys, going to order the timing chain kit from rock auto. I am also going to order a valve cover gasket and timing cover gasket (if there is one??) I looked through the library for how-to on the replacement and torque specs but couldnt find any. Can you guys show me a link on how to do it? PICS?? advice?? I got the tools but never did this before on a saturn.

thanks!!
Ralph
2001 SL1
Gnfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: No timing chain replacement in library??

Doesn't the Haynes manual have a general guide to how to do it?
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Gnfanatic

2000 SL1

I dont know oldnuc, I have read so many complaints about that book (esp about the wrong torque numbers) if it is good i will buy one!
2001 SL1
Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Chilton's does have a writeup on it with torque specs. Along with their crappy photos.

Maybe you'll snap a few photos when you do yours [hint]
I have yet to see the info posted here, altho someone did post recently about having done it.

Melissa_M
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

p.s. your sig file and profile stats show 2 different model years

M_M
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Old 03-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnfanatic View Post
I dont know oldnuc, I have read so many complaints about that book (esp about the wrong torque numbers) if it is good i will buy one!
The other option is an ALLData subscription, its about the same price and you can print off what you need. Haynes does have problems with glaring errors and information gaps and ALLData does not.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Wolfman has a torque spec list in the how-to library. Find it and use that. Second, replace the tensioner and all guides when doing the timing chain. I recommend using OEM. But others have gotten away with using the "fleabay" kits. When dealing with an interference motor, the last thing I would do is go cheap on something so important.
Saturnless...
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Gnfanatic

2000 SL1

Hey guys, I went on Autozone.com and became a member to see the procedure for my timing chain, unf it showed a diagram of the ion motor, even though s-series is highlighted. Oldnuc, if you can give some tips i appreciate it. I have a powerful dewalt power drill that will take the crank pulley off. I just dont know about the timing marks and how to setup the new tensioner. if there are photos or a site i can log onto (preferably free) please let me know. Mel, thanks for the heads up, I will fix that.
2001 SL1
Old 03-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
me.theuser
me.theuser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

I never understood the reason for some car manufacturers with interference engine designs using a timing belt (not saturn at least)

Are saturn engines interference designs and I wonder if its possible to pick up a beefier timing chain?
me.theuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by me.theuser View Post
I never understood the reason for some car manufacturers with interference engine designs using a timing belt (not saturn at least)
easier to engineer, cheaper to make, reliable if you change the belts on schedule. And if you don't maintain the car and the belt goes, you'll be tempted to buy another car rather than fix the old one
Quote:
Are saturn engines interference designs and I wonder if its possible to pick up a beefier timing chain?
S-series are interference, don't know about the other saturns, but I would imagine nearly all modern engines are interference
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Hey guys, I went on Autozone.com and became a member to see the procedure for my timing chain, unf it showed a diagram of the ion motor, even though s-series is highlighted. Oldnuc, if you can give some tips i appreciate it. I have a powerful dewalt power drill that will take the crank pulley off. I just dont know about the timing marks and how to setup the new tensioner. if there are photos or a site i can log onto (preferably free) please let me know. Mel, thanks for the heads up, I will fix that.
Pay attention which holes the guide bolts come out of. Thee are 2 holes on one side and you can put it back together wrong. When installing the chain line up the marks to match this drawing. Turn the crank to the 3:00 position before removing the old chain and sprocket. The crank keyway is the mark and the block split is the 3:00 point. Set cam and new sprocket to alignment with the pin. Turn crank counterclockwise to TDC and put chain on.

Ill find the SOHC drawing.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Gnfanatic: You have PM.....
Old 03-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
Melissa_M
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Hey guys, I went on Autozone.com and became a member to see the procedure for my timing chain, unf it showed a diagram of the ion motor, even though s-series is highlighted.
I noticed they went to a new system at AZ. The one thing I looked at also had a diagram that was just a general cooling system and if you weren't paying attention to the fact that it was NOT a saturn it might be confusing. So I am not sure how good their info is. For something so important and complicated like a timing chain (i am guessing), the AllData is probably worth it (altho I have not used it yet).

M_M
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Old 03-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
Frankd1
Frankd1 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

I'm not sure that I like the new system at Autozone, it seems as though there are more mistakes with diagrams. I thought the old system was a little better.
Frankd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
Gnfanatic

2000 SL1

oldnuc, you are a good man. Thank you so much!
2001 SL1