saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-17-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default Tranny rebuild kits

Well I don't know how much life is left with my current tranny and differential (96 SC2m). I know 4th gear is getting a little tough to get into and you can hear a light whistling sound from it. I think the synchros are going.

I have a 92 MP3 tranny sitting in my kitchen, but it needs to be rebuilt. I've never opened up a tranny before but after looking through razorbak's gallery, it doesn't look too hard to rebuild. I do have an FSM to help me through it as well.

Now I was wondering if there is a kit that I can buy that has everything I need that normally needs to be replaced. Or do I have to buy individual pieces from saturn?

Also I'd like to weld the differential pin, but I have no welder. Someone told me a while back they would do it before but I can't recall who.
-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.
sps SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Tranny rebuild kits

I expect a photographic How-To!!! That way when it's my turn I'll know how. I would think any welding shop could weld that diff pin for not a whole lot of money.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

I don't have a camera anymore, so making a photographic documentary of it might not be so easy.

Check out Razorbak's gallery. He has the how-to in there pretty much, though it's not all in order.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

I plan on rebuilding the mp3 from my 95 sc2 i have sitting in my garage.
I have a FSM also and would like to know if their is a "rebuild kit" available and maybe a price.

Barnowl, when I get to it, i'll make sure to do an extensive write up!!
1996 SC1
1995 SC2
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:24 AM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

There is a manual trans kit availible. It contains the "soft" parts. Shifter fork pads, shifter shaft bushings, seals gaskets. It has no hard parts like gears, bearings or syncros. These are order as needed items.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:48 AM   #6
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman
There is a manual trans kit availible. It contains the "soft" parts. Shifter fork pads, shifter shaft bushings, seals gaskets. It has no hard parts like gears, bearings or syncros. These are order as needed items.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to replace the syncros and bearings on a high mileage transmission once you got that baby open? I'm guessing here, but you wouldn't replace the gears themselves unless they are damaged right? I wouldn't think they would tend to wear much.
1996 SC1
1995 SC2
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC
Well I don't know how much life is left with my current tranny and differential (96 SC2m). I know 4th gear is getting a little tough to get into and you can hear a light whistling sound from it. I think the synchros are going.

I have a 92 MP3 tranny sitting in my kitchen, but it needs to be rebuilt. I've never opened up a tranny before but after looking through razorbak's gallery, it doesn't look too hard to rebuild. I do have an FSM to help me through it as well.

Now I was wondering if there is a kit that I can buy that has everything I need that normally needs to be replaced. Or do I have to buy individual pieces from saturn?

Also I'd like to weld the differential pin, but I have no welder. Someone told me a while back they would do it before but I can't recall who.
i bought the rebuild kit from the dealership. it's in the $120 range and it includes all the gaskets, sealant and little plastic nubs for the shift forks if you're freshening up a tranny. if you need synchros or other gear-type parts, you would have to get them separate...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArt16
Wouldn't it be a good idea to replace the syncros and bearings on a high mileage transmission once you got that baby open? I'm guessing here, but you wouldn't replace the gears themselves unless they are damaged right? I wouldn't think they would tend to wear much.

That kind of stuff is replaced on an as needed basis. During a rebuild it is suppoed to be inspected and the clearances measured. There are minumum clearances for the blocker rings (syncros) and clearances betweens gear sets. The condition of the gears and syncro assemblies is an inspection item durning a full blown rebuild. Anything found lacking should be replaced. Just replacing because you are in the trans can get very expensive.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

Thanks everyone for the information. My 1st gear is whistling slightly at low (>2K) rpms. Usually only when it's cold. I guess my FSM should tell me about clearances and such to check for during the rebuild?

Just to be sure, if you hear a whistling sound for a gear (4th for me) what does that indicate? Sometimes it's hard to downshift to 4th, sometimes it's easy.