SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 01:08 AM   #1
tenn734
tenn734 is on a distinguished road

Question Brake Bleed...?

My brakes have been kinda mushy lately. I have to push hard to keep the car from rolling (its an automatic) I drive a lot in the city and my foot hurts from holding the brake down all the time.

I told the dealer, and i guess they just tightened the brake cable, it solved the problem for a while but now its mushy again.

I was wondering would bleeding the brakes help my problem.

I don't think its cos of worn pads cos i just had them checked and they still have a good amount of life left.

So anyway... does anyone else have this prob. (mushy) or have had their brakes bled and what was the result...

Thanks
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2004, 01:16 AM   #2
SL1-WNY
SL1-WNY is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
1995 SL1

I had 'mushy pedel' ... annoying...

But my rotors were scratched up, pads more than half gone, and my rear shoes were shot so it needed replacing... now it's much better. Still not super firm, but that could be the fluid (I plan to bleed it alllll out when it warms up) or one of the brake hoses orsomething that's old and streching under pressure...

Minivan had a 'mushy pedel' until one day it groaned and made a large 'pop'... voila! Instant no-brakes.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:09 AM   #3
Richard
Richard is on a distinguished road

This sounds like a dangerous situation. If you have mushy brakes all of a sudden and you haven't had any bleeders open or disconnected any brake lines then there is probably a leak somewhere.

If there is air in the lines a proper bleeding will restore the original pedal feel. If there is a leak a bleeding won't do anything as everytime you release the brake pedal air get sucked into the system.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:09 AM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The brake pedal should not get "mushy" on it's own. Even severely contaminated brake fluid (not likely) will not result in a mushy pedal unless there is AIR in the system or a fault exists in either the brake master cylinder, a caliper or rear drum slave cylinder. You could fill the hydraulic system with WATER and provided there was no air in the system, the pedal would still feel "firm". I would strongly recommend you have the braking system evaluated by a professional.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread