SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Hondeep
Hondeep is on a distinguished road

Question 02 SL w/ L24 engine won't crank

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me.

I have a 2002 Saturn SL with a 1.9L 8 valve engine. I was driving home and came to a stop light. at the stop i noticed a 200rpm loop in the idle. When the light turned green i began to turn left. I accelerated to 3500rpm's, depressed the clutch and the engine dropped to 0rpm. while costing with clutch in and in neutral i tried to restart the engine. I heard the starter hit the flywheel with a solid "ping" but would not turn the crank. I coasted into my apartment complex. while going down hill i waited till i was at about 10mph put it in 2nd gear, and dumped the clutch to jump start the car. The front end dove down and the front wheels skidd till i depressed the clutch again. the front end popped up and the car bounced backwards back up the hill.

I pulled it into a parking spot. The dealer book says if the starter though out engages the flywheel but does not turn it to replace the starter. $260 and a new starter later i had the same problem. I Bought a new battery and still no change. however after a couple more attempts a wire began smoking behind the intake manifold. have yet to see which circuit it belongs too.

Before this i replaced the front disks, pads, front right motor mount (torque axis mount) intake manifold gasket, shift linkage, throttle body gasket, IAC valve, spark plugs, wires, and headlight bulbs. The oil level is proper, has 2400 miles on oil.

My only guess now is that the timing chain jumped/ broke. or internal of engine broke. I think the engine is frozen but i have been hard pressed to figure out an easy way to access the crank pulley to turn it by hand. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Hondeep is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 02 SL w/ L24 engine won't crank

Mileage?

Your descriptions seems to fit a seized engine. Remove the spark plugs and jack up (safely) the passenger side front end so you can remove the wheel and splash guard. You now have access to the crankshaft and can fit a socket and breaker bar with pipe extension to try rotating the engine in reverse. Normal engines will rotate in both directions. A seized engine may allow you to rotate the engine in the opposite direction of the broken internals. Try rotating in both directions. Removing the cam cover is about the only way to see if the timing chain is still on. Removing the spark plugs releases any compression resistance if the engine can be rotated by hand.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Hondeep
Hondeep is on a distinguished road

its a little over 112000 miles.

Thanks for the input. I wont have a chance to do that untill saturday but that should help alot with diagnosing.

The crazy part is that the check engine light comes on on the dash. Yet there are no codes stored.
Hondeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondeep View Post
The crazy part is that the check engine light comes on on the dash. Yet there are no codes stored.
This is normal when the engine isn't running while the key is in the RUN position. I'd check your battery cables. Since oil level was proper and it only has 112K miles on the odometer at this point I don't think the engine is seized.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 200K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 60K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
01SuperCoupe
01SuperCoupe is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2009 Astra XR

Ruley73, that would depend completely on how well the car was maintained in the past. When I bought my 2001 SC2 for $150 as is it only had 146,000 kms (which is just under 91,000 miles) on the odometer it also had an engine that was seized tighter than a Cash For Clunkers car after the magic potion was put into the crankcase!

$3000 later I'm driving a practically new car!
01SuperCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote