saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member
YourMainParadox is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default HELP drivers side high beam 0 voltage

HELP drivers side high beam 0 voltage and low beam 11.43 while the passenger side is full 12.10 volts on both sides?

Anyone know why this would be happening etc? Also how can I fix it?
YourMainParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: HELP drivers side high beam 0 voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourMainParadox View Post
HELP drivers side high beam 0 voltage and low beam 11.43 while the passenger side is full 12.10 volts on both sides?

Anyone know why this would be happening etc? Also how can I fix it?
YMP ... if we can believe the attached schematic there's only a chunk of wire between the fuse and lamp ... if you have voltage applied to the low beam element the high beam wire connection could be loose.

If you have an ohmmeter you could pull left and right side headlamp fuses and compare resistance values between fuse socket and respective bulbs.

To my way of thinking - no voltage indicates an open wire and low voltage indicates a connection with some resistance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05 Vue Lights.pdf (38.3 KB, 2 views)
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

I was trouble shooting it this morning and I could not think of anything else to try so I disconected the battery for 15 mins to hopefully reset the bcm? and then when I turn it back on that head light fuse pops and then I replace the fuse and wala everything is right back at 12.10 volts like new again.. I think there was a windows error jk
Old 05-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

YMP - just a few thoughts.

This sort of problem is always interesting and fun to isolate - or at least think about - if you have time (and its someone else's vehicle).

Do I recall correctly by thinking your Vue uses high beam lamps for DRL?

I always thought that was unusual (even though the owners manual has conflicting statements re which lamps are used). Do you suppose others did a rewire to incorporate high beams and there's a loose connection somewhere?

According to the schematic - with left and right fuses installed - you should always have battery power (B+) applied to one contact of both the low and high lamps on both sides of vehicle.

You'd be able to measure B+ - between the bulb and ground - with a meter. With the light switch on, the voltage might decrease slightly when BCM outputs grounds for DRL, low, high lamps.

I'm thinking the low-beams on my 05 Vue will operate with the key OFF but I'm not able to switch to high-beam. I assume this is because the BCM is not fully powered.

In your case ... if the left side fuse - or wiring between the fuse and bulb is open you might be able to measure a "residual" voltage routed from the BCM to the low beam lamp.

Again, this BCM output is normally a ground to activate a lamp but depending on internal BCM circuitry the output could rise to near B+ level if there's no voltage applied to the other side of the headlamp bulb.

This could explain why you noted ~ 11.5 volts on low beam bulb and 0 volts for high beam.

Does this explain why disconnecting battery for a few minutes restored everything? Nope, not even close, but the restoration could be coincidental with activity near any wiring harnesses located near the battery.

My Vue is not presently available ... if it were ... I'd remove the headlamp fuse and check for voltages approximating the ones you noted.

You could do the same if you wanted to disturb status quo.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

All of the wiring harnesses are stock and look like the split loom ahs never been opened. I don't think anyone rewired anything. Also the dealer said a few of the vues have high beam drl.

I did drop the corner lights on the vue and shattered the lense

Anyone wanna get rid of some?