saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Red Line

Old 07-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1
Default My recent turbocharger problem

So this past weekend, early Saturday morning in fact, I was getting on the e-way and while going up the ramp i pressed the pedal down to get past a truck and all of a sudden all my acceleration cuts out. It's like I'm driving my lawnmower. I mean, it was driving ok, it just didn't have that umphf that it always had. So i get my sister to work, and call on*star in the parking lot to do a diagnostic check. The woman tells me I have a malfunction in my turbocharger, which is where i was expecting the problem to be.

Luckily, I'm across town like three miles from Saturn so I stop in. All I really wanted to do was see how soon it could get in to be looked at, but the asst. manager told me to pull it in, that one of the hoses might have come loose. He loosened the hose clamp (with some fairly good difficulty - it was really tight) and adjusted the hose, and reattached the clamp. He said it might not improve things but you never know. I figure my appt is thursday so i'll just drive it carefully or get my other car out of storage for the week. I get a mile down the road and I'm slightly disappointed and all of a sudden i feel the turbo kick in again. It's driving great at this point .

I go...oh...about 24 hrs and, once again, while i'm accellerating to get on the e-way, I get this sound like a pile of leaves with maybe a small rock being thrown into a fan blade. I immediately get off e-way and drive it carefully home. (I actually had a cute friend of mine in the passenger seat, so i was pissed.) I pretty much baby it all week. Engine light finally comes on Tuesday morning I think. I'm thinking "why only turn on now and not with all this before?" So, this morning i take it in and get my oil change, 6k mile maintenance, and get the turbo looked at. They call me about 3 hrs later saying it was done. I go on my lunch break to pick it up and find out that there is a service bulletin out on the turbocharger. I never heard anything about it or anything. I don't have the number, the paperwork is out in the car, but i'll post it later for those interested. I guess they were having issues with a hose coming loose periodically or something. I was planning to look it up to see exactly what it was for later. The tech that performed it wasn't there and the asst manager didn't know the exact specifics. But it runs great and I made sure to run it hard getting on the eway to see if the problem was fixed. (So far) all systems are go .

The only down side is that I forgot to ask them to correct the brake recall issue while it was in. I'm off Friday next week so maybe I'll schedule it to go in for it then.
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: My recent turbocharger problem

The TSB would only be an advisory to the tech about what to look for in diagnosing this problem. It is not an uncommon problem for a hose to blow off the pressure side. You aren't the first this has happened to.
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
midnightinohio
midnightinohio is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up... I haven't heard of this before. The next time I take my car in for an oil change, I'll have them check the hoses. I'm glad to hear yours was an easy fix!
midnightinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
The TSB would only be an advisory to the tech about what to look for in diagnosing this problem. It is not an uncommon problem for a hose to blow off the pressure side. You aren't the first this has happened to.
Did not know that. I know the theory behind turbochargers and all, but i'm new to actually using them. Wasn't aware that this was a common thing to happen. I would have guessed mechanical failure (due to very high rpms and heat) before a loose hose. Also, that hose clamp was on there REALLY tight. It just surprised me that that was the issue. But much thanks for the info. Every little bit helps.
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
techlord
techlord is on a distinguished road

i saw a sky turbo with engine light this car had no power and was misfiring sounded like it was limping on 2 cyl like crazy the car had 11k on it turns out there are crank sensor actuators theres an intake and exhaust actuators were junk just a heads up i dont know how common it is i drove the sky turbo stick man that car rips they need a turbo in the astra
techlord is offline   Reply With Quote