SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2018, 02:26 AM   #21
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: the old front wheel bearing trick on L100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
...... have seen bearing kit (partsgeek.com) including nut, bearing, circlip and hub for 45 total including shipping by duralag and pronto. this is about 100 less than the name brands. never heard of those two. have you folks?......
If the price stated above is accurate then it's practically certain that the parts come from Asia, but not Japan nor Taiwan. I'm reasonably certain which country it is, but I'll let SaturnFans member's imaginations mull it over...

Personally, I would not purchase that kit. I want a product that I can trust and neither Duralag nor Pronto bring me to the point of trusting the parts inside of their boxes in this instance. That's my thinking and people are free to disagree with it. I've not heard of Duralag before, but Pronto has been around for about thirty years. It's a price line (as in inexpensive) private label re-boxer of parts made by various vendors.

Having seen Dorman's hub for these cars, I'd recommend purchasing the National or SKF bearing and using a Dorman hub to save some money over buying a complete hub and bearing kit. SKF sells one, but I'm not sure if National does.

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 09-23-2018 at 02:40 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #22
rfisher
rfisher is on a distinguished road

hi pierrot- sorry made a mistake on a name.the proper name of one producer isnot duralag but durago. heard of that one? if pronto has been around for 30 years, that would be positive. surmise you wouldn't recommend it either. seems that the press kit could be to press out the worn out bearing without risk . would have to be more careful on the press in though. curious if anyone here has experience with these two producers. thanks tons bf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #23
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
hi pierrot- sorry made a mistake on a name.the proper name of one producer isnot duralag but durago. heard of that one?
Okay, so it's Durago. Although I had a hunch that this might have been an error when I saw "Duralag" it's not really a significant concern. Nevertheless, I appreciate the correction! This brand is seen in RockAuto.com for various replacement parts. I'll simply refer to the second paragraph in post #21 as to my consideration of it.

Quote:
...if pronto has been around for 30 years, that would be positive. surmise you wouldn't recommend it either...
You've surmised correctly. Pronto is merely a label - nothing more. The parts sold under that label are those which are the fastest selling (highest ranking) of the inventory. It's not a "deep" product line. A product inside of their box could be a filter of some kind, bearings, or suspension parts, but Pronto does not manufacture anything. Hence most of their auto parts, though not all, come from overseas markets where they can get the lowest cost product possible to fulfill their inventory requirements.

Back in the latter half of the 1980's we began seeing Chinese made - not Taiwanese made - wheel bearings brought into our warehouses to allow us to sell some parts more inexpensively. A cursory examination of the parts showed that the tolerances and strength of those bearings were not equal to the American made brand name parts, BCA or SKF. Of course, it's now thirty years later and it's also possible that Chinese products have improved. My opinion remains that what cannot be seen, regardless of which part it may be, is the thing that will hurt a consumer in the end relative to product quality and longevity. Therefore the brand name has a meaning behind it because of its history for producing a superior item.

By way of example and FWIW: in the mid '80's GM had a shortage of rear wheel hub and bearing assemblies for the Citation and other X-Body cars. The local Chevrolet dealer was a customer of ours and needed that hub and bearing assembly. BCA was the brand we sold. It was approved of by GM as an acceptable substitute for the OEM part and we sold it to them - and, good grief, that part was rediculously expensive at the time!! (BCA [bearings] and National [seals] were, and are owned by Federal-Mogul. It is now simply the National brand.)

Every member here can choose to purchase whatever brand of product is available if they believe it will be suitable to their needs. I have no problem with that at all. "Let the buyer beware" and choose accordingly.

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #24
rfisher

thanks pierrot for that info . I commend you for your knowledge of these parts.dont have as much time as I thought . on parts geek the pronto bearing kit was reviewd very favorably though. rf bearing noise started getting louder yesterday and has now graduated from a hum to a roar. don't want the bearing to cause a fire or the wheel to come off while a coppa is in hot pursuit of me one dark night on thunder road. revised plan now is to order the bca national bearing kit (136) from reilly , take out the knuckle and give it to my friend with the press and then in a few days reinstall. expect a few very bad words to be used. glad im in this forum of back yard mechanics who don't use such language when wrenching. thanks tons bf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #25
rfisher

hi sages- the wheel bearing in the front hubs of the L100 once pressed in seems to be held in by a circlip in the back of the knuckle. the axle driveshaft then splines into the hub after it is pressed in to the bearing . the big washer , nut and cotter pin then go on snugging the front of the hub to the axle. there is no second circlip in the front of the bearing. most of the vehicles wrenched in the bearing replacement videos have a 2d circlip in the front of the bearing. is this an anomaly for the Saturn. would seem safer to have circlips on both sides of the bearing. suspect im missing something. thanks tons bf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #26
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
hi sages- the wheel bearing in the front hubs of the L100 once pressed in seems to be held in by a circlip in the back of the knuckle. the axle driveshaft then splines into the hub after it is pressed in to the bearing . the big washer , nut and cotter pin then go on snugging the front of the hub to the axle. there is no second circlip in the front of the bearing. most of the vehicles wrenched in the bearing replacement videos have a 2d circlip in the front of the bearing. is this an anomaly for the Saturn. would seem safer to have circlips on both sides of the bearing. suspect im missing something. thanks tons bf
^^^ There is only one circlip on the rear of the knuckle. No circlip on the front of the bearing.

Proceed! Keep us posted.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #27
rfisher

thank you rb. your info on the clip is helpful. wondered if it was a mistake at the factory. some other makes have a circlip on both sides of the bearing. surmise it would be safer to have it , but no bearing popouts in 177k miles and 25 fla- nj trips up thunder road. the castellated nut on the end of the drive axle and cotter pin and thick washer apparently holds it securely. thanks tons bf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #28
rfisher

hi sages- started the wheel bearing job yesterday and will keep you posted. so far have the caliper off and hung. also off is the bracket holding it. had to get an 18mm box wrench and deep 18mm socket. tomorrow or wed will tackle the two bolts on the bottom of the strut. those two are supa tight and may be mofos to get off. maybe use a breaker bar with a cheater. ball joint bolt and steering rod nut don't look too bad. did use a few bad words though. knuckle should then pull out and will take to my presser friend to replace the bad bearing with the new national one I got . also got a new axle nut and circlip for the back of the bearing. had to use the breaker and a cheater to loosen it. 2 of the 4 f's used so far were on that nut. made one helluva squeaking noise. almost forgot, got a new flange too. took the advice here and decided not use the pressing kit which reilly loans, maybe next time if and when the left side bearing blows. will let you know final results. regards bf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #29
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I noticed on my L that the axles have finally pulled all the way into the bearings. My car sat apart for a year and everything got a little rusty. First the driverís side was a little loose and just the other day I had to tighten the passenger side. The bearings are tight and quiet the axles just had some rust on the splines.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #30
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Recently I had to do a solenoid job my son'd 2003 L300 tranny. That involved loosening the sub frame bolts and also included removing the front drivers strut and drive axle. It's a northern car, despite it being here in Florida, so we got rust free of charge.

Anyhow, I knew I would struggle with breaker bars, etc. I invested in the electric impact driver below. Being electric I wasn't 100% certain it would be up to the task. How wrong I was. It was a god send in doing the job and also doing the rear suspension job I just completed. HF sell it for $47.99. I had a coupon for 20% off, so got it for about $35.00. Highly recommend it, especially if you want to give up cursing!!

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...nch-68099.html

Interestingly Home Depot do a similar one at a similar price BUT no 20% off coupons with HD I am afraid.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SPEEDWAY...FQp_wQodiUYPaA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:14 PM   #31
rfisher

hi floridas- have seen that electric impact gun at hf here in Jensen beach. had the same concern you do- adequate power. did get the two lower front strut bolts off with the breaker. they were extremely tight. had to use a cheater, but you say you got them off with the hf impact gun. very impressive- did the gun take a beating? if the breaker and cheater didn't work I was going to use my sears air impact(compressor) 1/2 inch gun. these nuts/bolts are 18mm. would have had to buy a set of metric deep sockets of the impact variety though. thinking maybe I should get that set of sockets anyway from hf since the Saturn lug bolts are metric too and really shouldn't be using he sae impact sockets on them. thanks tons bf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #32
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have a compressor and an air gun I would not bother buying an electric impact driver. I don't have a compressor, so the electric impact driver was b y far the cheapest route for me.

The HF stuff comes with a 12 month warranty BUT they will swap no questions asked within 30 days. If you do the job within the HF and it fails , then simply take it back and get another new one.

I bought the 1/2" impact socket set from HF as well. I think they were like $22.00 with the 20% coupon dropping it further. They are good sockets. As for the sae vs metric, there are certain sizes that will equal one another. So if you haven't the metric size, you can use the sae size. I have done that several times.

Sometimes you have to be creative as well. I was tring to remove the hub nuts, which were 16mm. I didn't have a 16mm nor was there a corresponding sae size. I then spotted sitting all on its lonesome, the spark plug socket I have for the lawnmower. Guess what? 16mm!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2018, 06:27 AM   #33
rfisher

hi rb, pierrot and floridas- you bad boys have been very helpful in my quest with the bearing r and r. finally got the knuckle out yesterday. some info- the drive axle bolt with the cotter pin takes a 30mm 6pt socket. the ball joint, steering rod and 2 lower strut bolts take an 18mm box wrench and long 6pt socket. also you have to disconnect(needs a small allen wrench)the abs sensor cable from the knuckle. I also removed the dust shield from the rotor held on by 3 short allen screws. inspected the hub unit/bearing on my shop table. here is a strange thing. the bearing on the back side of the knuckle has no circlip as indicated in the you tube videos and on this forum. cant see under the spindle in the front where there may be a circlip holding the front of the bearing in. the fsm type manuals didn't show one being there. this is original bearing from the factory. any explanation for this anomaly other than an error at the assembly plant? thanks tons bf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #34
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
hi rb, pierrot and floridas- you bad boys have been very helpful in my quest with the bearing r and r. finally got the knuckle out yesterday. some info- the drive axle bolt with the cotter pin takes a 30mm 6pt socket. the ball joint, steering rod and 2 lower strut bolts take an 18mm box wrench and long 6pt socket. also you have to disconnect(needs a small allen wrench)the abs sensor cable from the knuckle. I also removed the dust shield from the rotor held on by 3 short allen screws. inspected the hub unit/bearing on my shop table. here is a strange thing. the bearing on the back side of the knuckle has no circlip as indicated in the you tube videos and on this forum. cant see under the spindle in the front where there may be a circlip holding the front of the bearing in. the fsm type manuals didn't show one being there. this is original bearing from the factory. any explanation for this anomaly other than an error at the assembly plant? thanks tons bf
^^Hmmm.....Not good. Only 2 possibilites: Goof at the factory or that bearing has been replaced unknown to you and someone goofed here too!

There should be a circlip at the rear of the bearing.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #35
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I have no knowledge of this bearing replacement on the front BUT here is a link to Rock Auto for a bearing kit for the L series front. It shows only ONE circlip at the rear.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...431616&jsn=384

Here's the other front bearing kit and again only ONE circlip
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...431616&jsn=383

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #36
rfisher

hi rb and floridas- thanks for those rockauto pictures. as you say the circlip is pictured at the rear of the bearing. inspected the knuckle carefully when I took it out of the front end. definitely no circlip on the back. cant see under the hub which is pressed into the front of the knuckle. maybe the circlip will be there. will ask the presser what he found. saw pictures on the video and the clip was in the back. no one worked on the bearing. im the original owner and ordered car brand new. this is the first bearing replacement. wondering if it was not installed at the factory in error. will let you know. thanks tons bf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #37
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Most setups like ours have the clip on the outside behind the hub. That is what makes it so fun to replace the bearing. First you have to get the hub out of the bearing, then you have to get half the bearing off the hub. Then you can remove the clip and press the bearing out if the knuckle. Install the new bearing and clip, then press the hub back into the bearing without damaging the new bearing.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #38
rfisher

hi 2LW- strange that there is no circlip in the back of the knuckle. don't have to force the bearing off the extracted hub since I have a new hub. pressing the new hub into the new bearing in the knuckle sounds like a bit of a mofo. betting the circlip is under the hub next to the front of the bearing. if not wondering what holds it in place under the stresses of driving high speed on thunder road. will keep you posted. regards bf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #39
02 LW300

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The bearing presses into the knuckle from the outside. It presses up against a shoulder in the knuckle and is retained by the giant clip. The hub presses into the bearing and it is all held together by the axle. If you look at the bearing you will see the outer piece is one piece. The inner is two pieces, one goes in from each side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #40
rfisher

hi 2 LW- looks like you figured out the bearing set up correctly. my friend with the press showed me how he did the job. first off the setup is not like in the diagram or videos I watched. there is no circlip in the back of the knuckle holding the bearing in. instead the bearing is pressed in from the front of the knuckle until it stops against a small ridge in the back of the knuckle. the only circlip is in fact in the front of the knuckle behind the hb which holds the bearing in from the front. when that is pressed in from the front, the new hub has to be pressed in while the inner race of the bearing is blocked and supported to prevent it from being pushed out destroying the new bearing. that completes the installation of the new bearing and hub. you almost don't notice the ridge in the back of the knuckle unless youre looking for it. the first step in the process is pulling out the old hub. when you do this the inner race of the old bearing pulls out with the hub. if you intended to reuse the old hub you would have to cut or pry off the old race. tomorrow I reinstall the knuckle unit. hope you enjoyed and learned from my melodrama. surmise that will just be a reverse of the takeout. thanks to all of you who helped. see you in the next war. bf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!