SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
rfisher
rfisher is on a distinguished road

Default followups and conclusions to the old wheel bearing trick thread

hi sages- thought I would follow up and conclude on the October/November thread I started on this. the interesting and I would think unlikely finding was that both front wheel bearings had gone stinko at the same time. I replaced the rf one and the noise from that side stopped. but humming and roaring were still on the lf side. worried it might be a shot input shaft bearing in the transaxle which would cost a mortgage. mechanic friend checked it and the lf bearing with a stethoscope and said no, it was the bearing. replaced that bearing with another national and problem solved. quiet running has returned to tobacco road. car runs straight and true , no pulling to either side. did not have it aligned. told there is only one alignment adjustment on this model which is toe in. no caster/camber. thought there would be slots on the lower bolt holes(2)for the stuts, to adjust but there were not. did have front aligned one year ago . old bearings went 177k. you bad boys ever hear of both bearings going to hell at the same time? knowing that alignments no longer cost $18.95, kindly give me your advice. thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: followups and conclusions to the old wheel bearing trick thread

With many posts, its time to visit your personal profile and add car info so its reflected under your name in the left hand box of stats. And you should copy and paste this post to your thread about wheel bearings to close it for anyone reading it. If not, many may never know how it ended unless they come across this thread......

I'm not all knowing so its a guess on my part for two front wheel bearings to fail at the same time. Maybe the previous owner drove it hard on roads unpaved? As to front wheel alignment, caster is pretty much fixed but camber is adjustable, as long as the bottom strut mount bracket is manually slotted if camber changes. Toe-in/toe-out is always adjustable. Specs are in service manuals. Even the rears are adjustable for toe-in/toe-out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
With many posts, its time to visit your personal profile and add car info so its reflected under your name in the left hand box of stats. And you should copy and paste this post to your thread about wheel bearings to close it for anyone reading it. If not, many may never know how it ended unless they come across this thread......
Very much agreed!

I was visiting a website for Acura MDXs to deal with a problem on my wife's vehicle and that forum is littered with threads lacking a resolution post to an Original Poster's problems. While the same thing is true here, we SaturnFans members tend to remind our comrades to post resolutions to their original problems as you have done. It is much appreciated that you did so! The resolution simply should have been attached to the other thread.

With regard to a situation where two FWD front wheel bearings fail at the same time, I find that to be irregular based on my experience in the automotive business. Nevertheless, just because it's irregular only means this experience was uncommon - nothing more. There are always exceptions to the common occurrences with car repairs however infrequent they may be.

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #4
rfisher
rfisher is on a distinguished road

hi fd and pierrot- agree my conclusionary message on the wheel bearing conundrum would be better placed at the end of my original. if a patient sage will tell me how to stick it there, I would appreciate it. thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Sure thing. Here's what you do:
1) go back to post #1 here and where it reads "quote" in the bottom right hand corner of the post field click on that;
2) the next page appearing will contain the text of that message. Using the left click of the mouse, highlight the complete text;
3) press the right click and a small box appears and with a left click select the word "copy." It's now saved in the browser;
4) go to the other thread and open a reply;
5) within the empty reply field use the right click, then with a left click select "paste" from within that box used to copy the text previously and the text will appear;
6) Submit Reply.

All Done!

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote