SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #21
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2004 Vue - 2.2 Manual - Reduced Engine Power

Yes, Passlock relearn procedure is needed when replacing either ecm or bcm. Passlock is embedded in the bcm so ecm replacement needs to learn the bcm Passlock fuel password to allow the ecm to work. The 30 minute diy program is posted here in several threads. $30 is a bargain for a relatively inexpensive swap compared to original costs for a new one and paying GM to perform any needed updates to a module. According to service manuals, the ecm needs GMs scantool for the ECM to learn the crankshaft notch variation for misfire diagnostics. Additionally, the crankshaft relearn procedure is needed too and refers to CKP System Variation Learn Procedure. Since procedures are for new/blank ECMs and no mention of using used ones, let's see if your swap and Passlock relearn gets the engine to startup and run. If this goes well, drive. The rest may not be needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #22
internetpimp
internetpimp is on a distinguished road

Well the salvage yard that initially told me that they had an ECM out of a manual ended up being out of an automatic. Similar story with a few other salvage yards I hit up today. I might just sell this car soon instead of going through this headache of trying to find an ECM to match up(for a decent price anyway).

After doing a little more searching around on the net, I realized that something seemed a bit odd with my vehicle VIN number. My vin number is 5GZCZ3xxxxxxxxxxx. From looking online this vin number is for an automatic and 5GZCZ2xxxxxxxxxxx is for a manual.

I also recently found out from digging around under the steering column that the clutch/neutral safety switch is jumped out. For S&G I tried to start the car in neutral without the clutch and it started.

I'm not sure if this car was originally an automatic and they swapped transmissions, or if someone just swapped the ECM, or what, but I have no clue why they would bypass the clutch/neutral safety switch.

Anyhow, I will update if and when I ever resolute my issues, but that may be a little while since I'm currently unemployed and being a bit frugal with this situation right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to internetpimp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help internetpimp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
internetpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #23
internetpimp

I figure this is a long shot to request this, but if anyone with a manual Saturn Vue provide the model numbers of their ECM?

There should be two different numbers for the ECM I believe, one above the bar code, and one below the bar code. I believe the top number should start with 125 or 126 maybe, and the bottom one(SERV NO.) should start with 122.

Again, I figure this is a long shot, but if anyone is currently working on their Vue and already have the ECM pulled out, I was hoping someone could possibly help me out.

The end goal is basically to make sure that I at least get a ECM that came out of a Vue with a manual trans. The last two places I went to said the ECM's that they had were out of a manual transmission Vue, but then vin numbers they showed me said otherwise.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help internetpimp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #24
Marlyn
Marlyn is on a distinguished road

I think the years are starting to add up - weak links are being exposed.
The thread at.. saturnfans forum 193925&page=4 (sorry - they wouldn't let me make a link)
was my savior.
So... same problem cropped up last week. Fortunately for me it manifested itself as I turned the key in the driveway on a Sunday - not on the freeway.
Short answer to your problem may very well be "brown wire". I am thinking there was a day in China when the machine making brown wire had the hiccups. My brown wire broke in the middle of nowhere special in the harness - well, that is, if 'the hardest place to get at' is nowhere special. ;-)
I have a lot of words - could tell a long story of replacing throttle body (got lucky - only cost $15) before getting a clue here - but I think I'll let my 'picture's with words' tell it. Agh! Another link to this forum they won't let me make ... You'll have to look for my album at "saturnfans dot com /photos/showgallery.php?cat=13771"
I'll put up one here now - the 'end of the story' picture... Oh, no I won't. It's in the form of another 'URL' I can't post :-(

Here's a little lesson I learned - if there is a break in a wire in a place that is really hard to get at - isolate it from the bundle at a 'nice spot' downstream and upstream - loosen the bundle as best you can so you can feel it tug on your 'other hand' as you pull on it (making sure it's really the same wire you're holding) and then PULL HARD! The insulation will stretch and the break will appear!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marlyn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Marlyn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Marlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #25
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I have repaired several Vues with a reduce power light, When the cars were newer it was always high resistance in the APP sensor circuits, has the car got older it was likely to have a worn throttle body. Never have I fixed a reduced power light on by replacing the ECM.

You need to check for ECM DTCs with a real scan tool that will tell you all of the DTCs, not just the generic OBD2 DTCs.

IF the problem is in the APP sensor circuits I would start by looking at the C200 and the C102. Disconnect reconnect several times with dielectric grease added may help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #26
internetpimp

I have checked the brown wire numerous times that was mentioned in the thread Marlyn referenced, continuity is good on that wire. I wish it was just that wire, would be an easy fix.

I appreciate the input on checking the connectors. I have checked almost every connector I can think of that may be related and re-seated over and over unfortunately with no improvement.

Regarding scanning any additional DTC's, unfortunately I cant do that since I don't have access to a better scan tool. Since the car is not registered/insured, and does not have plates, I wouldn't be able to drive it up to an auto parts store or anywhere to have it scanned with a higher end scan tool.

With what I have observed so far with this issue, the only logical conclusion I can come up with is that this vehicle used to be an automatic(per the vin number) and the transmission was swapped, but not the ECM for some reason as the only codes that I have seen so far point to the automatic transmission that this Vue does not have. (I have also found that the clutch safety switch is bypassed under the dash, which may be related to a possible transmission swap). The speedometer also does not work. Unfortunately when I bought the vehicle, I wasn't paying attention to this when I test drove it.

Many posts that I have read have similar issues(same DTC's, and speedometer not working) when they swap from an automatic to a manual transmission in these vehicles if they leave in the ECM from before the transmission swap. The problems tend to go away when they end up putting in the ECM from the donor vehicle they got the manual transmission from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #27
internetpimp

Right now the car drives, I have driven it around the block a few times(yes, I know it's not legal with no plates/insurance). Just to possibly say screw it, get the car legal, and drive it as is with the reduced engine power. (I can use a gps speedometer app on my phone to compensate for the speedometer not working I guess)

So, getting away from the reduced engine power issue with this vehicle, every thing seems pretty fine with driving the vehicle, except for the fact that I left the emergency brake on for a long time while being stored in my garage. Now acceleration is slower, and deceleration is faster. Just to make sure this was actually related to the emergency brake being left engaged for so long, I tried to push the vehicle in neutral, virtually no movement. My driveway has a slight decline so I tried to let it roll down my driveway on it's own in neutral as well, no movement.

I don't know if I should start a new thread for this concern, but I was wondering the best way how to free up, or adjust the emergency brake that has been engaged for so long. I've done many disk brake jobs in the past no problem, I've just never dealt with drum brakes or emergency brakes before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #28
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

It sounds like you need to get the wiring harness and the ECM out of a manual..

There are subtle differences in the wiring harness, i.e. vehicle speed sensor, transmission communication lines.

I don't remember if the vehicle speed sensor wiring is different, but I do know the transmission data lines are wired different. You may be able to modify your existing harness.. Look at this link..

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215544

Also the ECM is different. (same ECM, different program)

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #29
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

internetpimp, if the parking brake seized in place and you can't roll the vehicle when brakes are released, you may have to jack up the rear end and check for binding brakes and linkages when the parking brake lever is released. Rear wheels should turn easily when they're off the ground with parking brakes released.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #30
internetpimp

I jacked up the rear of the car and put it on stands. The left rear tire spins pretty well with little to no resistance, the right on the other hand does spin, but it definitely has some resistance. As I spin it, it has more resistance in 1 specific spot than the rest.

So, ideally I'd like to take a look at the brakes and possibly adjust but unfortunately I just can't seem to get the rear drums off. I tried banging the crap out of them with a hammer and used plenty of wd40 to try to break through the rusted on drums, but they wont budge. I tried to hit up the local auto parts store to hopefully find a loaner tool that would help with the job, but no luck there either. Does anyone have any tricks to getting the rear drums off of these vehicles?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #31
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your dilemma is about average for seized drums. When severely seized, rust becomes the equivalent of loctite, a reaction from moisture between steel drum and steel wheel hub. Some ways to loosen and break this bond; high heat, penetrating fluid, heavily weighted hammer and three jaw puller. Last resort is a cutting wheel to cut a drum apart. Your Vue drums bonded to the wheel from rust and corrosion between the inside drum surface and center wheel hub. Both surfaces provide a large area for salting and moisture to create rust. The trick is a combination of high heat, penetrating fluid and heavy hammering on the inside lip of drums to break loose the bond between drum and wheel hub. Hitting and rotating the drum to hammer it in several places can break and loosen this bond. An old shaft can be used as a flat chisel to hammer against it with the flat portion on the drum lip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake drum removal.jpg (174.4 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #32
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

I'm pretty sure the passlock goes through the BCM.. (????). I bypassed mine with a resistor, then had to do a re-learn.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215634

Verify the grounds are correct on the ECM and the engine.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216101

A bad or incorrect ECM (one that came out of an automatic) will cause the symptoms you'r seeing.

Some scan gauges will not read the Vue ECM.. This is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...Q4T5XE703XASG3

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote