SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 07:21 PM   #1
tusharriv
tusharriv is on a distinguished road

Default Vue won't start, clicking, dinging, lights flashing after speaker install

Hopefully someone here has some good ideas. I installed new speakers into my 2004 V6 Vue tonight, and everything seemed alright when done. The speakers were playing fine, and then they started to cut out a bit. Then, my vue started acting strange. The lights started clicking on and off, the chime was dinging with it, and there was no more sound coming out of the speakers. I went to start it, and it wouldn't start. The starter was clicking (I believe it was the starter), but nothing was happening. I don't know if a short in the speakers can cause that, but I went and took out all of the speakers, and everything is still the same. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a while, and when hooked back up, it was all the same again. I am at a loss. Any ideas or suggestions will be much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tusharriv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tusharriv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
cohocarl
cohocarl is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

I can't imagine anything you did while changing speakers would cause that. Did you only take off the door panels, replace speakers, then re-install panels?
The only thing I can think of would be the electrical connections on the power lock switches, but I don't think that would effect it starting, unless there's a security system that's kicking in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cohocarl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cohocarl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2004, 07:31 PM   #3
saturnguy0077
saturnguy0077 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

From the sounds of it you could have messed up the ground to the speakers and that could mess with just about anything electronic on the vehicle such as chimes, lights most everything you listed. I would try check all fuses if you have not already done so and be sure none of wires was switched and the polarity was messed up this could cause the problems you are talking about. If this is the case call your retailer and get a tow the probably need to try to trace the problem with the Tech 2 computer in there shop. I hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnguy0077's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnguy0077 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
tusharriv

Well, I am pretty sure something is shorted out or tripped. The reason I say this is that when I hit the lock button on my remote, it dings like the door is still open. I don't know what that means, or how to fix it, but maybe I can check the wiring around there and see if I hit it putting the door back on or something. I have installed many speakers in many cars, and I have never had anything like this happen. Any other ideas, please let me know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tusharriv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2004, 07:52 PM   #5
tusharriv

Well, I am pretty sure something is shorted out or tripped. The reason I say this is that when I hit the lock button on my remote, it dings like the door is still open. I don't know what that means, or how to fix it, but maybe I can check the wiring around there and see if I hit it putting the door back on or something. I have installed many speakers in many cars, and I have never had anything like this happen. Any other ideas, please let me know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
njydvue
njydvue is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
2007 SKY

I agree with cohocarl. Im an electrician by trade and i dont see anything you could have messed up with the speakers to cause your symptoms (as long as it was only the wiring in the doors). Sounds like you need to check the connectors to the auto-door locks. It is probably part of a safety interlock system.
Check for mismatched polarities and blown or shorted fuses too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to njydvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help njydvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2004, 07:59 PM   #7
revue
Advanced Member
revue is on a distinguished road

Which lights are flashing?
Does the engine turn over when trying to start?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to revue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help revue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:01 PM   #8
tusharriv

The dash lights and the headlights (I think) are flashing. It is mainly the gauge lights, and I hear a very audible clicking sound that corresponds with the lights. The chimes go at the same pace as the lights. The engine doesn't seem to turn over at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2004, 08:10 PM   #9
revue
Advanced Member

Did you disturb anything in the console/radio area?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help revue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:16 PM   #10
tusharriv

no, I only took off the four door panels. and swapped the speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2004, 08:21 PM   #11
revue
Advanced Member

http://www.bsecorp.com/files/techtips/ST9303l.pdf

Look at the Passlock section on page 2.
Try the procedure listed but ignore the scantool stuff. Can't hurt, you'll see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2004, 08:34 PM   #12
Freedom1955
Freedom1955 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

In a way this reminds me of the Ford F150 site I frequent. People buy a vehicle then try to modify it from what it is originally. They jack it up, they install headers, put chips in them, they raise them lower them, it's insane. When a vehicle leaves the factory it's made to stay that way if you change some characteristic of that vehicle it effects another and usually not in a good way.

Now I realize this is just a speaker instalation you see what can happen. Good Luck!

Oh mabey you should change the size of your tires too! Or lower it...HEHEHE Have fun!

04 White AWD, Loaded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Freedom1955's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Freedom1955 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:48 PM   #13
cohocarl
cohocarl is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

One thing I just remembered...when I re-installed my driver's door panel, I didn't get the upper/forward part of the panel installed correctly, and even though I had the screws in, the panel was "pulled out" from the door. When I went to close the door, I noticed it closing "funny", and I'm glad I was closing it slowly because due to the door panel not being installed right, it was pushing the "plunger" that tells the car the door is closed forward, and not in.
I'm sure the car would still start with the door "open", but the chimes would go off, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cohocarl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cohocarl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:33 AM   #14
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

sounds like a door short is taking out or has taken out the body control module. I doubt its the speaker wiring, more likely power window or lock. I would remove all four door panels again and try starting before remounting panels. Its rather strange considering the door harness runs on the otherside of the steel panel but perhaps a speaker screw/clip found it. It wouldnt hurt to try to remove the 2 radio fuses from the fuse panel if door panel removal doesnt work (factory 2004 radios have serial data lines running to body control module for amp set up ) If all else fails, reinstall factory speakers and take advantage of the factory tow/ warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:36 AM   #15
njydvue

2002 VUE 2.2L
2007 SKY

Quote:
When a vehicle leaves the factory it's made to stay that way if you change some characteristic of that vehicle it effects another and usually not in a good way.
Just because something is factory DOES NOT mean it shouldnt be altered or upgraded. Factory specs are used for one big reason: TO SAVE ON PRODUCTION COSTS and pass those savings to the consumer so a vehicle can be affordable. If that wasnt the case then we'd all be driving $30k + cars.
And yes cohocarl, the door plunger WILL NOT prevent the vehicle from starting.
Tusharriv, did you verify that all the speaker wires were connected correctly (observing polarity)? When replacing the speakers, did you let bare wires touch the metal door frame or touch together? You could have shorted out the stock head unit which in turn is connected to the ignition wire and the rest of the wiring harness for a number of things. You may want to take apart the center console and disconnect the head unit and see if the car will at least start and stop flashing lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help njydvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:42 AM   #16
burlyvue2
burlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Dizzy

Quick question. Does the horn make any sound? My Vue had an issue with the horn relay that messed up the wiring. It's an easy check and if you got no horn check the relay and airbag and the related wiring. Another idea would be the battery.

Not a Saturn Tech. Trying to figure it out! LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:47 AM   #17
njydvue

2002 VUE 2.2L
2007 SKY

Do you have the Saturn advanced audio system? Only reason i ask is the radio and speakers should not go through the BCM, but they could have changed it in the '04s.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2004, 01:44 AM   #18
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Technology is great!!!!!.....when its working!!!

That 100 foot trip to the mail box in the Vue fires up the
1) engine computer
2) transmission computer (with automatics)
3) body control computer
4)air bag computer
5) ABS computer (with abs)

and new for 2004/05 there are serial data lines interfacing the radio to the body control module for technician amp programing

Im just glad that these Vue computers are not using the Windows Millenium operating system!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #19
njydvue

2002 VUE 2.2L
2007 SKY

Quote:
and new for 2004/05 there are serial data lines interfacing the radio to the body control module for technician amp programing
GAH! Thats bad news for D.I.Y.ers like me. Means i gotta go do more homework and research how it all works if someone wants me to PIMP their ride. I mean c'mon does the radio really need to be programmed through serial data cables? How difficult is it really to adjust the settings on the radio and amp? Saves them time i guess, but i a major headache for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2004, 08:59 AM   #20
jeffb
jeffb is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-3 Sedan

Sounds to me like you may have run the battery down while testing the new audio. If you have a voltmeter, check on the battery voltage with everything off, and then again while trying to start the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeffb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeffb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread