SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
bennyboyg
bennyboyg has a spectacular aura aboutbennyboyg has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 2003 Saturn VUE bcm? then P0035

Hello all. So I have a 2003 Vue 3.0L with aprox 170 thousand miles on it. When I bought it, the car started up and drove a total of two times. The security light was flashing on the dash and the hazards were always flashing, there was a clicking noise every twoish seconds. so I did some reserch and everything pointed me in the direction of replacing the bcm, since it wouldn't start anymore, and I had no other engine codes. But when I went to remove the bcm, I found about five or six wires spliced in to the wires going into the BCM. The previous owner had an aftermarket security system and told me it was unhooked. Well, after removing all of these wires, the security dash light isn't flashing at me and no hazards or anything else. And now theres an engine code for the crank sensor (P0335). So before I wasted any time or money, I wanted another opinion. A new crank sensor is fifty bucks but the BCM is a lot more. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by bennyboyg; 04-03-2015 at 04:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bennyboyg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bennyboyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bennyboyg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Saturn VUE bcm? then P0035

There are several options to choose, the main one is either continue here or repost in the Vue Tech forums where most help is given. While deciding on this option, there are some things to consider about diagnosing your problems.

1-Normal instrument panel indications, especially the security light, at ignition turn on is a lamp test along with every electronic module performing its own power up self test. The security light should turn on and either stay on or turn off during starting. This indicator tells you which mode the factory Passlock theft deterrent system is in; ON/failed self tests and self disabled from interfering with starting and driving, OFF/passed self tests and deactivated for normal starting and driving, FLASHING quickly (theft mode) during starting - indicating Passlock enabled and disables injector operation to prevent engine running (starter will turn over engine but the engine won't fire up), BLINK (every 1.5 secs) when remote LOCK is pressed to enable Passlock theft protection.

2-The bcm has several programs including Passlock/remote keyless entry, OBD II diagnostics, internal/external lighting, instrument panel lighting. Anyone adding aftermarket electronics and tapping into the bcm system risks unintended problems if these installations aren't proven 100% trouble-free. Whether an auxiliary alarm or remote starting (two popular add-ons), the factory alarm system and Passlock are sufficient for the bells and whistles almost everyone ignores. Passlock is just one example of sophisticated immobilizers to prevent some thieves from driving away with our cars. Even the rfid chip in the key xponder system is defeated by smart thieves.......... For every day theft protection, most factory systems serve their purpose without adding to it as this may cause problems.

Ensuring any aftermarket alarm/remote start systems are either completely removed or at least disabled by removing their own (usually inline) fuse can help to isolate them from interfering with the EFI system. Normally, the security light is either off or turned off during starting to indicate Passlock is not disabling injectors.

3-Two methods to test the crank sensor; removal for bench testing or using a fuel pressure gauge.

a)Use a multimeter to measure electrical resistance (700-1200 ohms) in three modes; ambient temperature, immersion in boiling water and after rapping it against the edge of a bench. Heat, cold and vibration where each mode revealed a faulty sensor from members here. Mine suffered from engine heat and would operate until normal engine heat was reached. Another member didn't believe his failed until rapping it against the table (engine vibration).

b)Another way to test for a faulty crank sensor; a fuel pressure gauge is needed to monitor fuel pressures. First, at ignition ON time when the engine computer powers the fuel pump for 2 seconds (engine off). Pressure should be seen on the gauge. Observing fuel pressure allows you to become familiar with the next few steps to determine whether or not the crank sensor failed. The crank sensor only operates when the engine is starting or running; the engine rotating is detected by the crank sensor and immediately outputs precise timing signals the engine computer needs in order to operate the EFI system; turn on fuel pump, initiate the ignition system for spark, and pulse injectors. Bleeding the fuel rail of some fuel to reduce fuel pressure will set up the pressure gauge to observe for fuel pump operation when trying to start the engine. Once ignition is turned ON, leave it on and disconnect the fuel pressure gauge to bleed off some pressure and reinstall the pressure gauge, noting the lower pressure. With ignition still ON and lower pressure, starting should allow the crank sensor to operate as described with fuel pressure rising immediately; pressure rising during starting indicates the crank sensor is operating while no increase in pressure would imply a dead crank sensor. Do not cycle the ignition switch at any time once turning on ignition begins to avoid the automatic pump sequence every time ignition is turned on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
bennyboyg

2003 VUE 3.0L
Thumbs Up Re: 2003 Saturn VUE bcm? then P0035

Thank you so much for the info! I will test the sensor as soon as I can!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bennyboyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
bennyboyg

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 2003 Saturn VUE bcm? then P0035

Thanks for the help fdryer! The crank sensor was bad and now its starting right up. I'm still having some other issues but I'm going to start a new thread in the tech forums. Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!