SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
massey79
massey79 is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Vue 2.2 Multiple problems probably caused from water leakage/need advice please.

I have a 04 vue manual trans. with a sunroof.I bought it used with around 139k,replaced slave cylinder ($1200) at 150k,currently at 159k.I started noticing my floorboards being a little wet,mainly passenger side.It wasnt the heater core,the liquid is clear.I was afraid it was brake fluid since I just had the clutch fixed.It turned out to be water and the problem has progressed to when it rains both floorboards are soaked.Ive read all the other posts and will take the steps to correct the leaks (finally,its been going on for 2 months and I believe led to much bigger problems).I will try and be detailed and break this down in to numbered questions.

1: turning signals started not working sporadically,I could get them to work by holding in the hazards for a moment,then the hazards button pushed in to the dash (very common I see),but I can partially push in the hazard and make the signals work still.The fuses are fine,even though I would replace them and signals would work better for a little while (but when they stopped,Icould swap out the old ones).I've been getting the feeling the BCM is on the fritz,cuz one day it locked me out when I was standing nearby (trying to convince my friend whose house I was at that my truck locked me out and it wasnt me was fun).I still question the BCM,but I'm starting to believe this is all from water leakage.

2:When driving the other day my check engine light came on,it bounced between flashing and staying on.I started losing compression and it felt like it was misfiring,rpms fluttering.I was hoping it was just O2 sensor.I took it to car parts store and they ran diagnostics and it showed 3 codes. O2 sensor,another that was the result of O2 sensor and then it had said something about a cylinder not firing and possible ground fault.I was going to put on a O2 sensor this wknd,but after reading a lot about the leaks and BCM I'm not so sure its actually bad.I'm wondering if the leaks have caused all of this and maybe a wiring harness or contacts are becoming corroded.I have little to no money,even a $60 O2 sensor that was unnecessary will hurt.I realize so far there has been no question,I really am just seeking advice on how to proceed in the most cost efficient manner.

3: As of last oil change there is a small transmission leak.I have a manual and I'm aware its sealed and shouldnt have a leak.I'm sure this is from the slave cylinder replacement.Do I just tighten the housing or would I need a torque wrench and how do I check the levels?

4:On repairing the leak,when I check the front pillar/sunroof (forget the name) the one behind the tire in the front fender well.I've read to snip that tube to let it drain (I'll check to see if it drains properly first).Is that it?I dont clean the other part out and reassemble with something?I know I'll want to clean out the sunroof lines.Also the little 4 inch rectangularish drain with seal and mesh under the passenger side hood on top of the firewall? I dont have that,mine is just solid metal.Close to the top of the firewall about midways there was a little rubber spout about 4 inches long,I squeezed it and it was completely full of debris,cleaned it out.Still going to take many more steps.

5: On the ground fault code,is that just like a gfci tripping in your home? I am an electrician and I understand what it is,just I'm not sure how that would work in the auto world.In my mind it tripped from the water leak most likely. Does it have a fault just like a GFCI where any current makes it read a fault,but it doesnt trip or anything it just keeps working,but just putting off the error code?

I know this post is all over the place,I apologize.I tried to break it down in to edible pieces.Aside from the trans leak,it really all comes down to is the leaking causing this and what steps should I take. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I try to remedy these problems by the wknd (a garbage can finds a ham every now and then ).

Thanks Guys/Gals -Charles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to massey79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help massey79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
massey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2004 Vue 2.2 Multiple problems probably caused from water leakage/need advice ple

was it "salvage"?.... AS for the trans. Yo ucan check the levels, but with that many miles it would be cheap insurance to drain and fill it with new fluid.

Driver side wheel comes off to access Allen head fill and drain plugs. YOu'll need to use ratchet-driven ALLEN sockets to do this the easy way.

AS always, remove the fill plug first!

I hope you got a new clutch ,too when the slave got done.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
massey79
massey79 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2004 Vue 2.2 Multiple problems probably caused from water leakage/need advice ple

The trans. fluid was just changed 9k ago when the slave cylinder was replaced as its inside the trans housing,but if you still believe I should drain and fill I will.That would be a negative on the clutch,I'm assuming youre talking about the master cylinder?It would have cost more, from my understanding its like 2 different jobs.the slave you have to get inside the trans housing and the master requires getting in to the dash ( just from what I've gathered,not sure on protocol).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to massey79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help massey79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
massey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Don't touch the trans fluid, then, if it's new as of 9000 mi ago.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey79 View Post
.That would be a negative on the clutch,.
Next time around, don't miss the opportunity to replace the clutch when doing the clutch slave cylinder. Such a waste of all that good labor.

NOt much of an electrical guy when it comes to the Vue's, but gremlins reported here seem to bring out suggestions of the BCM(body control module being hooey. SInce you have gremlins( and rain water( i hope) intrusion- vs. a coolant leak) I would be looking around there. I think it's located in the center dash area. Electronics don't like bathing, by the way

And put a tarp over your rig until you fix the leak! Maybe oxyclean or baking soda on the carpets until they dry out.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!