SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
silverfx23
silverfx23 is on a distinguished road

Default 08 Astra XR, odd rpms at start, "put puts" at stoplight,

2008 XR 4-door, 86k on it. A little history on my issue:
About mid-february/march while I was at a stop light my idle slowly creeped up to about 2-2.5k. If I put it in neutral it would go pretty high, not red-line high, but enough that it concerned me. My check engine light has been on for years but I decide to do the ol air filter check (looked great), clean the MAF and then reach down open the butterfly on the intake and wipe it out.
The check engine light is gone, the acceleration thing is gone. My car is running better than it has in years!
Then in the mornings when I went to start it it sounds rough for a few seconds. Like its hiccuping, honestly, but like I said, after about 5-7 seconds it levels out.
Now I've noticed it feels kinda odd at lights. Not bad, just a light tapping of the rpms, put-put if you will. Popped the hood and heard a vacuum sound and started listening.
The hissing is coming from the passenger side of the engine, and if I flatten my hand and cover about where the 2 coils are it gets muffled. I know the pcv hose goes that way, any way I could have knocked something loose or anyone else read this and know what I should go to next?
And no, no check engine light, and the only trouble I have left is the Low Coolant light on.
Thanks for your time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverfx23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverfx23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silverfx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 08 Astra XR, odd rpms at start, "put puts" at stoplight,

Tapping sound or diesel sound at startup or idle could be Camshaft pullies. I posted some videos yesterday:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=179952&page=4

Removing the orange/metal filter screens might resolve sound also but I think probability is low. This is a typical defect in the Astra that is easy to DIY. Plenty of threads here.

I had a bad EVAP purge valve which caused a vaccum leak. The hose interfacing "into the engine block" was too small so GM just sliced the hose and it didn't attach so well. That was another source of vaccum leak. It was a very difficult hose to remove and replace because it did not fit. So I would not remove the hose but make sure it has not worked itself loose (or slice is so big it causes a vaccum leak).

I recall a few guys in Europe had vaccum hose at brake master cylinder slip off (haven't seen that problem here and maybe I am mixing up models).

When is the last time you changed your spark plugs? If you don't change plugs say every 25k miles, there seems to be high probability of failed coil. The spark plugs' gap erodes quickly and stresses the system. Wide gap could cause some drivabilty issues and cylinders that skip, although I would expect a trouble code to pop up. Regardless, if nothing works check the gap on your plugs.

Lots of details on all this stuff is posted here so use the search function for more info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
silverfx23

AstraFasta I did a bit more tinkering, just stuck with me how a vacuum would just suddenly appear. Coz on the drive home the check engine light and the tiny oil can light came on.
A bit more light on the subject, literally, revealed something I didn't expect.
Something I forgot to mention: I lost the cover to the coil pack. The little plastic flap, goes over the top of the coils, says Ecotec... is and has been gone, at least 2 years.
Why mention that John? Well, I found the source of my vacuum leak.

Upper left, right above the Left side bolt that holds the coil pack in, right below the PCV hose. There's these 2 little slots, bout the size of a tiny slotted screwdriver, hissing away.
Put duct tape over them and the oil light goes away. Pull it off, runs rough, light on, tape on, light bye-bye, and on and on...
So this mornings drive was smooth, quiet and rainy, check engine light remains, but no oil light and my idle is happy.
WTF?
Does that cover do anything other than just plug those holes?
What is that damn thing called so I can order one?
And is the PCV Valvecover bad? I saw another post where you posted a diaphragm that makes me wonder if I should order one and see what happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silverfx23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

I think that cover is decorative and also keeps grit from entering the head. If a lot of grit gathers down there, it can enter the cylinders when removing the sparkplugs.

I didn't know about the vaccum sealing you mentioned.

Find something better to seal than duct tape! The cover for the Chevy Cruze z19xer might fit; call a junkyard.

I don't think the PCV valve fails so frequently on the Astra. GM does not sell just that part but I posted a link yesterday for a replacement valve for $25 from a third party. PCV valve diagnosis steps are on one of the UK Astra sites. I wouldn't replace it unless there is a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
silverfx23

AstraFasta, here are the images I took. The silver tape is above it, the screwdriver points at it from the front of the car. Those little slots are absolutely vacuum related and in some form affect the oil light and how smooth/rough the idle sits.
So. If anyone has a second to pull their own particular coil pack cover and see if anything from it slides in those slots, I'd sure like to see it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6868.JPG (137.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6869.JPG (134.5 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!