SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
wiseguy3501
wiseguy3501 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Exhaust Questions

I am wanting to get the exhaust done on my car...I'm curious tho as to what people think.

I'm wondering what people have done and how it sounds. I personally want a nice deep sound without any popping or cackling. I've seen Ions with just the muffler replaced but I have yet to actually get up close and hear it. From looking I've discovered that going catback is a bit pricey. What do ya'll think, who has found what out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wiseguy3501's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wiseguy3501 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wiseguy3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
Silversaturn
Silversaturn is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Exhaust Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy3501
I am wanting to get the exhaust done on my car...I'm curious tho as to what people think.

I'm wondering what people have done and how it sounds. I personally want a nice deep sound without any popping or cackling. I've seen Ions with just the muffler replaced but I have yet to actually get up close and hear it. From looking I've discovered that going catback is a bit pricey. What do ya'll think, who has found what out?
You could go by a reputable muffler shop and get a price quote for them to do you up a cat back with the sound you want. I'm sure most shops have or can get a muffler that will give the deep tone your looking for.

You just have to tell them you want it DEEP and not high pitched.

I plan to do that myself with a shop near my house.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silversaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silversaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silversaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
wiseguy3501

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The only problem with that is it would most likely cost more than going prefab. Last year I needed the exhaust replaced on a old car of mine, it cost $300 at a Meineke shop. My dad got a catback exhaust from the same shop and it cost him about $400.

Looking online the prefab seems a bit cheaper, plus I'm half tempted to make it axle back. I'd be cheaper than both of those methods.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wiseguy3501 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:35 AM   #4
jerm1
jerm1 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....turn%20ion&p=0

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....turn%20ion&p=0

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....turn%20ion&p=2

I have HKS exhaust and AEM cai

- Jerm

04 Ion QC3 - Electric Lime
-HKS Exhaust
-AEM CAI
-Eibach Springs
-Strut Tower Brace

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6624/ion0049wo.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jerm1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jerm1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jerm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
IonNinja
Advanced Member
IonNinja is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

$300-$400 is cheaper than any prefab exhaust you are going to find for the Ion...the HKS and TRD exhausts are in the $500 range.

If you have an 03/04 Ion you could go with the Tsudo exhaust which is around $250 but you will have a huge exhaust tip to deal with.

2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan

www.ionforums.net

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IonNinja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IonNinja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IonNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #6
Silversaturn
Silversaturn is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Exhaust Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonNinja
$300-$400 is cheaper than any prefab exhaust you are going to find for the Ion...the HKS and TRD exhausts are in the $500 range.

If you have an 03/04 Ion you could go with the Tsudo exhaust which is around $250 but you will have a huge exhaust tip to deal with.
Agreed, plus the shop I plan to go with has tons of tips/mufflers/pipes to pick from.

So, for $300 to $400 I can get the exhaust EXACLTY the way I want it AND still be less expensive than a prefab unit!!

check a couple of your local shops ( NOT midas or Mine A Key..LOL) They both have ripped me or someone I know off.

You might be surprised at thier pricing!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silversaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silversaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silversaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #7
wiseguy3501

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonNinja
I was tempted by the Tsudo exhaust, but I wanted to hear it before I got it. I can deal with the tip, thats not a problem. The thing I liked about that exhaust was the tip being seperate from the muffler, I've never seen that on a tuner car before. But seeing as you can't get that silencer out it doesn't help my cause. LOL, figured I had to give you some crap. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll have to check out some prices, see what I can find. The lower the better, I'm gonna con my father into buying it for me for Christmas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #8
slo96sl2
slo96sl2 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I just had a Flowmaster 2 chamber muffler and stainless 3" tip welded to the factory pipe for $150 today. After I lower my car they said they would run 2.5" cat back pipe for another $100. Right now the car has a deep mellow tone...which is what I wanted. I'm sure it will be alot louder when I have the 2.5" pipe ran in the near future, I'll decide then if I need a resonator after the cat. So far I like

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slo96sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slo96sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slo96sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #9
IonNinja
Advanced Member
IonNinja is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy3501
I was tempted by the Tsudo exhaust, but I wanted to hear it before I got it. I can deal with the tip, thats not a problem. The thing I liked about that exhaust was the tip being seperate from the muffler, I've never seen that on a tuner car before. But seeing as you can't get that silencer out it doesn't help my cause. LOL, figured I had to give you some crap. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll have to check out some prices, see what I can find. The lower the better, I'm gonna con my father into buying it for me for Christmas.
well I believe the TR&D and HKS are designed exactly like that where the tip is separate from the muffler. The extended pipe on the Tsudo could be a little more curved to hide everything though. I gave up on getting that silencer out, my new tip just came in today and I'm gonna get it welded up tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll get to see how this exhaust really sounds now...

2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan

www.ionforums.net

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IonNinja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IonNinja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IonNinja is offline   Reply With Quote