SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
yankeefan10
yankeefan10 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2008 VUE 3.6L
Question AEM Cold Air Intake

I own a 2005 ION 3. Want to intall a cold intake. Anyone have experience with this? Also looking at a product called the Turbonator at www.turbonator.com. It's time for me to have some fun with this car! Would appreicate any input on after-market.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yankeefan10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yankeefan10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yankeefan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
Cheebs
Cheebs is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: AEM Cold Air Intake

There are people on the forum with the AEM intake; do a search to find the posts.

IMHO its worth it as a mod and fairly easy install.

Don't know anything about the turbonator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheebs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheebs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

I have the AEM cold air intake that goes down into the wheelwell, by far the most difficult type of intake to install. And yet, I got it in no problem, felt good results, and enjoyed working on my car. Follow the instructions TO THE LETTER, and it will be very, very easy. I was scared about undoing my headlight and removing it, but there are two pins that hold it perfectly aligned, and the wiring is a snap fit with a little bit of a clasp. Just make sure you have your tools laid out, and you should be able to do it in half an hour or less.

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
jmettee
jmettee is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I had an AEM on my Ion & took it off & sold it. Basically, I installed it without any other mods & felt little/no difference. I was also hoping for a nice, deep tone to the engine when I installed it, but it made the car sound obnoxious. There was this annoying whistle at a certain position of the butterfly valve that I could hear between every shift.

Now if you plan to do some exhaust work, then you may feel results with the combination intake/exhaust. However, as most would expect, your butt cannot feel the 6 HP it supposedly gives you....unless you go by sound & your mind may think the car is faster because it's louder.

As for the turbonator, stay away from this scam....it's as effective as those eBay speed "chips" (the resistors you put on your intake air temp sensor). It may work on an old carbureted, non-computerized engine, but not modern cars. It'll just be a restriction in your intake.

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m
"Giggity Giggity Goo" -Quagmire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmettee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmettee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmettee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:32 AM   #5
SaturnPappa
SaturnPappa is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

your 2005 ion will not work with any aem, gotta use the injen intake or the one from fujita at www.saturnmotorsports.com all because of the MAF.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPappa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPappa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnPappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
SaturnPappa
SaturnPappa is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Also i would recommend you don't waste money on the intake , and save up for a super charger setup, or nitrous. The intake wasn't worth the money in my opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPappa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPappa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnPappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:22 AM   #7
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

Whether you go with an AEM or any other popular brand the installation is going to similar. The installation for my CAI took about 2 hours. I had to cut a hole in my left fender well splash shield. It was a very tight fit, from the throttle body to the splash shield.
Just getting a CAI, your only going to notice 2 things. Better throttle response, and Improved fuel economy.
You should probably think about getting a better exhaust. Start with a catback exhaust. Your stock exhaust is probably only a 1-7/8 thick pipe coming out of the cat. Go with at least 2.25 (stainless steel) thick pipe with very few bends.
Then go with a brand name straight through (stainless steel) muffler. Magnaflow or Borla make excellent mufflers. I mentioned stainless steel because if your going to invest this kind of money you might as well spend the extra money for it to last longer.
Then if you want to take it a step further. Then go with a nice set OBX headers, a wider downpipe and maybe a better performing cat.
With everything mentioned here should only cost you about $1200. But it will be the best $1200 you ever spent.

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Before you start sinking money into your car, stop right now and think what you want the end product to be. Make it as defined as possible. By the time my car is finished to my taste, I'll have put in $3400. Now, with that sum, I could have bought a turbo, had 250 horsepower. Instead, I will have about 180 naturally aspirated horsepower, a thoroughly worked over suspension, and nice wheels and tires. This fits my car plan better than a turbo. I want a vehicle that will do well in autocross events, will be an enjoyable daily driver, and will be able to run on the cheapest gas I can find. For that, my car is perfect.

Take some time, sit down, and really think about what you want your car to do. Think about it, realize the secondary costs (sticky tires need replacing more often and hurt fuel mileage, but greatly increase good handling), turbos and superchargers require high octane gas, the manual transmission only handles 175 lb.-ft. of torque...

Do your research and you'll be happy.

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:48 AM   #9
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX712517
Before you start sinking money into your car, stop right now and think what you want the end product to be. Make it as defined as possible. By the time my car is finished to my taste, I'll have put in $3400. Now, with that sum, I could have bought a turbo, had 250 horsepower. Instead, I will have about 180 naturally aspirated horsepower, a thoroughly worked over suspension, and nice wheels and tires. This fits my car plan better than a turbo.

I'd have to agree.

Before you throw a turbo on any vehicle there are some mods that will have to be done before hand. One of them is a better braking system, also a better suspension.

A better performing suspension and braking system can run $1500 - $3000, depends on name brand and most importantly if you do the work yourself.

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #10
jerm1
jerm1 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Here are a couple of vids that my buddy recorded of me at his place in Indiana. sorry about the quality his camera sucks wish I had mine.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....turn%20ion&p=0

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....turn%20ion&p=0

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....turn%20ion&p=2

I have exhaust too

- Jerm

04 Ion QC3 - Electric Lime
-HKS Exhaust
-AEM CAI
-Eibach Springs
-Strut Tower Brace

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6624/ion0049wo.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jerm1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jerm1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jerm1 is offline   Reply With Quote